1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Wood elf magic arrows and flaming banner?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by borkbork, May 7, 2015.

1. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

hi,

I had a discussion on woodies today, and i sugested to put the flaming banner on a unit with hagbane (poisoned) arrows, and i got the reply that that does not work or is illegal for some reason, but i just had a quick browse through the rule book and i am probably missing something, but i really cant find the reason why it should be illegal.

So what rule is preventing this combo?

Thx

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

It might be only for close combat attacks...

3. Gogery
    Saurus

Gogery Member

I believe the interpretation where you can't use flaming banner and magic arrows together is that the arrows are seen as a magic item, and thus can't use the effects of the banner or something along those lines. Can't quite remember, I havent played or looked over the rules in a while, sadly :(.

Slanputin likes this.
  4. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

I believe Gogery is right. Unfortunately I don't have the BRB to hand to confirm myself...

5. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

Yeah, i also suspect it to be something along those lines, but i cant find the exact reference.
    And i really would like to find the exact rule as this may also mean that for example the strength potion and effects of a magic banner do not stack as well.

Btw the wood elf magic arrows are classed as enchanted items and not as magic weapons.

Gonna give the brb qnother try tonight, but i have this horrible tendency to overlook things when re-reading things i believe i know allready.

6. Agrem
    Kroxigor

Agrem Active Member

WE army book states: "All Shooting attacks made with enchanted arrows count as having been made with magic weapons."

BRB Flaming attacks rule the last paragraph: "...though any spells cast by the model are unaffected, as are any attacks made with magic weapons they might be wielding."

I'm not that familiar with the WE rules but according to these two sentences I'd say that the flaming banner won't work with the enchanted arrows.

BR
    Agrem

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

QFT

8. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

It's not illegal. You are perfectly within your rights to give a unit of WE archers with enchanted ammunition, it just won't affect their shooting.

9. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

Thx everybody, it is indeed in the flaming attacks section...and i had been looking at the magic items section. I really dont like the organisation of the book, and it happens (at least to me) a lot that i am just looking for things in the wrong places. Still, however it can be argued that it should work (as the arrows are enchanted items, and they only hit "like" magic weapons), but i am not gonna do that. ;)

Trociu likes this.
  10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's a pretty slippery slope there, IMHO. I remember a similar debate going on in my WoC forum in regards to Ensorcelled Weapons. Ensorcelled Weapons have the following rule "Attacks made with ensorcelled weapons are resolved at +1 Strength. In addition, these are magical attacks".

In my opinion, if a weapon grants you magical attacks... it's a magic weapon. I think that is only fair!

borkbork likes this.
  11. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

Yeah i agree, that is why i wasn't going to argue it. I mentioned the possibility more out of (longtime) frustration with gw's unclear rule writing.

12. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I wish they would go to a Magic: the gathering style of rules, where every ability and rule is clearly and consistently defined.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I'm in full agreement

I don't think GW is capable of that!

borkbork likes this.
  14. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Exactly, They need to contract it out to Wizards of the coast. :writing:

borkbork likes this.
  15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

They need to sell the company before they run it into the ground!