1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Work n Progress Scratch sculpted stegadons,multi-use howdahs

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by wappellious, Aug 15, 2009.

1. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

This was another big project started earlier this year, scratch sculpting some ancient stegadons which could be used as EotG's or giant blowpipes.

The steagadons were made with a layer of sculpey over a wire and tin foil armature, which was then covered in a layer of Apoxy Sculpt, my favorite sculpting medium.

The tin foil bulked out the shape so that I used less sculpey and it also made the figure lighter. The sculpey defined most of the form, and the apoxy sculpt did all the detail work. The howdahs are made almost entirely from sculpey.

The "engines" are removable, as are the giant blowpipes. I am about half way through the painting process on these now.

StegadonONETopviewMultiviewR.jpg

StegadonTWOTopviewMultiviewR.jpg

Warden likes this.
  2. Magic_karl
    Skink

Magic_karl Member

Wow! you built those? If you do another one can you do a step-by-step slideshow of your progress? It's be more than interesting to see you do that.

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I agree, they look pretty awesome. Any chance of some bigger shots of them? And of course I am keen to see them painted too. :)

4. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

That's amazing, man! Great work :smug:

5. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

I like the planning that you did for the Howdahs. It looks like you can comfortably fit as many skinks up there as needed instead of barely having room for 5 (not that you'll need more room, but the skinks that are up there will appreciate not banging elbows with the other guy all the time). Keep up the good work and of course, post some painted shots when they're complete.

6. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

Bigger pictures

I will try to post some WIP images of the painting soon.

In the meantime, here are some bigger pictures:

StegadonTWOCropped.jpg

StegadonONECropped.jpg

All of the skinks fit in here very easily. :D I have 2 skink priests that have matching bases so that they cane be on the engines or on foot. :p

Warden likes this.
  7. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Amazing! It looks a lot more spacious than the real Stegadon model. :D