1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working on a Reptilian Abyssal Terror. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Scalenex, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Anyway my plan is to make an Abyssal Teror that fluffwise was constructed Frankenstein style from dead creatures gathered in Lustria.

A friend of mine went nuts with the old Bones Kickstarter a while back and sold me his red dragon model, I think it was Pathfinder. It looks cool and it fits pretty cleanly on a 50 mm base. The GW Abyssal Terror is 40 mm but I don't think any reasonable opponents will complain about a bigger base and this is more for collecting than gameplay (since Abyssal Terrors are not exactly a super competitive choice).

P9070001_zps7e9859ab.jpg

There's a nice low point in his back fins where I plan to put my Vampire lord rider. I probably need to greenstuff a saddle to make it a clean fit rather than illustrative unglued bareback picture below (mostly for scale).

P9070004_zps81bbaf35.jpg

Another friend of mine is starting a Chaos army and he's using the Reaper model for the demon Rauthuros as his non-GW Daemon Prince alternative. I thought those wings were crazy awesome, big menacing and having undead-esque tatters and holes. I don't know what I am going to do with Ral's body but the model is so cheap it's worth it for the wings alone.

P9070002_zpsf4f743ee.jpg

The next step is the arms and tail. I want to model "Sword-Claws" and "Poisonous Tail" upgrades. First step is I'm going to swap out the arms (I don't like the fact that the official dragon arms are held down and inward).. I'm thinking of using Crypt Horror Arms because they are sufficiently mismatched and gross and held outward. At a friend's advice I'm going to take Sword-Claws literally and attach Wolverine style blades coming out of his hands behind the fingers. Probably one blade each, maybe two rather than Wolverine's three (since the model is too small to do three well). I haven't picked a blade(s) yet, but my friends and I have gobs of unused weapon sprues.

The stinger is a bit more tricky. I bought some giant scorpion bits on E-Bay. I like how they look, but I worry they are a bit too small.

P9070003_zps456fd9da.jpg

Before I start gluing I want to get some opinions on people on Lustria-Online and Carpe Noctern. I'm open to any and all suggestions for implementation or alternative parts I could use.

Most important of all, I plan to head swap something in place in lieu of the original dragon head but I'm not sure what I should use. A little oversized will probably communicate my concept, but a Stegadon head is way too oversized. I fear a Troglodon or Carnosaur head is so similar to a dragon head that the head swap would be pointless. The best idea I have so far is a Terradon head, but I fear that Terradon heads are not scary and blasphemous enough.