1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Xank'Pahuli - The Corrupted City

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by freizeitschamane, Dec 29, 2012.

1. freizeitschamane
    Skink

freizeitschamane New Member

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine and I have recently started painting sessions on a weekly basis. I owned the lizardmen army for quite a while already, but I always lacked either the motivation to paint or a good color scheme.
    Some months ago I visited a painting workshop and since than I am hooked. I really enjoy painting now and I want to get better and as I finally found a cool color scheme (in my opinion at least, that is), I am finally painting them to play them in 2013.
    Currently, I have not done a lot and most of the picture I am showing today, will still need some final touches as I could not decide what kind of metal I wanted for a while.

You will be able to see updates here every once in a while, but it might take some time as I am not the fastest painter and I prohibited myself from brushing any of my lizzies. Every single scale will be highlighted seperately, as I want to learn highlighting! :D

Here we go now...
    Kroak
    Kroak_front_zpsda09f6a3.jpg

Kroak_left_zps71296037.jpg

Kroak_back_zps574a3e7a.jpg

Salamander 1

Sala_front_zps5299bf62.jpg
    Sala_left_zps7604c423.jpg

Teradon 1
    Tera_front_zps8e4c408f.jpg

Tera_left_zps950819b4.jpg
    Tera_above_zps083f8af2.jpg

Teradon 2
    Tera2_above_zpsee9f639b.jpg

Tera2_right_zpsa27b7203.jpg

Skink 1
    Skink1_left_zpsb8e5e45d.jpg

Skink1_above_zpsbd7d1afc.jpg

Skink1_right_zpsc02cfcfe.jpg

That's it for the start. I tried to use one color scheme with slight changes. I am still not sure, which eye color I will be going for. I tried yellow and I might stick to it... Any opinions?

Unfortunately, I cannot implement the images directly, as he keeps telling me, that my pictures only may be 1 pixel wide, which does not make much sense to me. Can someone help me out here?

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Great work on the bases. You also have a great paint scheme going. I edited your post to add the pictures using the pic button next to the linkeh button.

3. freizeitschamane
    Skink

Ah, this is how it works here! Thanks a lot, Arli and thanks for the warm welcome as well!
    Do you have an opinion on the eyes?

4. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I would put an orange to red slit on the eyes. That directly contrasts with the color of the skin. That will make it jump.

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Very kool looking Lord Kroak. :smug:

6. latch66
    Jungle Swarm

latch66 New Member

Love the Lord Kroak.

I like all of them. The color scheme is very catchy.

I respect you deciding not dry-brushing your lizards. They look fantastic and the entire army should just rock with that little extra bit of detail.

I must confess I usually keep highlighting to independent characters or "small" armies (i.e. my 40k Blood Angels). I will be dry-brushing the hords of lizards I expect to be building this year.

7. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

looks very nice!

i always tend to suggest that ppl try and add pupils to the eyes for skinks. i too started out wanting plain eyes, but as soon as i tried adding pupils i dont see why i dodnt do it right away. im not saying you must have them, just that it is always worth careful consideration before skipping them. they tend to add a lot of life to the models :)

8. freizeitschamane
    Skink

Thanks a lot for the pep talk guys! I had an awful lot to do at work, but I still managed to squeeze in a couple of painting sessions... Here are some new results:

My first unit of Skinks was finished last weekend:

And I painted one of my favorite models today and I cannot say how happy I am that there is only two more to go...
    Here is my first Cold-One for the first of three Scar Veterans:

EDIT:
    And something for Lord Tsunami:

Attached Files:

9. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Good looking Carnasaur you got there... :smug:

10. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Great paint scheme and excellent execution! The wings of the Teranodons are simply beautiful and the Carnosaurus is breathtaking. I really really like your work, keep it up!

11. freizeitschamane
    Skink

Say it with me.... Cold One! My Carnosaur will be something different. It would be a shame if you could mix up those models and with my other model only hardliners who eat kittens will not remember my carno... :)

Thanks for all the kind words, it really helps me a lot. I am currently working on my bases (gonna finish all of them in one go) and apply the base color to the whole army. Afterwards it is just going to be fun with highlights! :D

12. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

I don't understand. You posted pictures of your carnosaur (which is awesome, BTW). Are you saying there's cold one's coming?

13. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

I think he means to use the Carnosaur model as a Cold One. Sorry for the mix up! Your paint work was so awesome that I totally forgot the right vocabulary...

14. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Re-read post, and oh WOW! How on earth did you fit that cold one onto a cavalry base? :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

15. freizeitschamane
    Skink

That is actually easy... He does not fit on regular 50mm properly either and he is slim enough for a cavalry base. :)

Over the last two days I was mainly painting the basecoat for the whole army (or at least trying) and preparing all the bases (which I succeeded doing), but I don't want to bore you with basecoated miniatures so I thought I could be showing a sneak peak at my carnosaurus. Being a gamer, I want my Cold Ones and my Carnosaurus to look absolutely different with no chance of confusion, so I needed something else... Something BIG!

Here we go:

Currently you must still imagine the leash, but I am sure, you can... :)

Attached Files:

16. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Best. Carnosaur. Ever.

17. GrindingMadness
    Skink

GrindingMadness New Member

I just looked through your pictures, and I have only one thing to say:

I FREAKIN LOVE YOUR COLOURSCHEME, BASES AND EVERYTHING THAT FOLLOWS!!!

18. CaptainKirk
    Saurus

CaptainKirk New Member

ajajajajaja I'm sure no one will ever see that carno coming!! Kinda reminds me of the 'killer bunny' from monty python :D

19. freizeitschamane
    Skink

Thanks so much for all the pep talk guys! I have been lacking motivation recently, but all your comments helped a lot. I am currently working on my skink cohort consisting of 32 skinks and 4 kroxigors... Nothing special... Hopefully I will be having first pics by sunday evening! :D

20. freizeitschamane
    Skink

I has been a while since I posted here and hardly fed my poor Lizzies until the recently took revenge. A skink sneaked under my foot and pushed his spear deep into my toe... I still feel the pain, but it reminded me, that I should keep on painting the little ones and that is what I did.

And to keep me motivated, I took some pictures to post them here. I have made some finishing touches to my Slann and finished the first 3 units of skinks as well as the first of my skink priests. Let me know what you think!

I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM! I CANNOT UPLOAD ANY PICS! He says: To few characters and deletes all my written text if I have anyhing with [pic] in it... Can anyone help out?

Looking forward to hear your opinions!