1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xlanhuapec Lizardmen Army Log (New Pictures Pg. 3)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Marsdreamer, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Marsdreamer
    Saurus

Marsdreamer New Member

Hello Lustria! I am a new member here (obviously) and I only recently started playing Warhammer Fantasy, although I've played 40k for a couple years.

I will be detailing my progress of my Lizardmen army here, it only seems fitting since you guys are a lizardmen forum :p

I decided that I would go with a grey/green color scheme because I figured it would match up with the fluff of the City of Xlanhuapec (City of mist) and the color combo actually turned out fairly decent.

I'm not the best painter, but let me know what you guys think :)

Comments and Criticism welcome.

fFirst off my Skink Skirmishers 12 painted out of 24

DSCN0801.jpg

DSCN0803.jpg

DSCN0804.jpg

Secondly 5 of my Sauros

DSCN0834.jpg

DSCN0837.jpg

DSCN0836.jpg

A Skink Chief that came with a Stegadon

DSCN0811.jpg

DSCN0808.jpg

And lastly my Stegadon WIP. He still needs a lot of work

DSCN0847.jpg

DSCN0849.jpg

DSCN0850.jpg

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Re: Xlanhuapec Lizardmen Army Log (Pic Heavy)

Nicely done :D
    I really like your muted paint scheme :)

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Wow they look really good, nice work! My only small suggestion is the gold on the shields, it looks a little bit flat in the pictures. A little bit of wash maybe? Otherwise great start to the army, and welcome to the board! :D

4. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Very nice looking army love the skink priest

5. Andycano
    Skink

Andycano New Member

Nice army particualry love the skinks :smug:

6. Stegadeth
    Temple Guard

Stegadeth New Member

Simple and brilliant and good looking in its simplicity! Very nice work.

7. Arsenal
    Temple Guard

Arsenal New Member

I really like your color choices, and the focus on gold as the offset metallic color. For the Chief I also LOVE the simplicity of putting him standing on the skull. It really helps balance the pose and show off the model.

My only criticism would be the color choice on the stegadon. The paint job is great, but when I see red and green together I always think of Christmas. I am sure this is just me though, I can't wait to see it complete with the howday and crew and how it turns out in the end.

Keep up the posts and the great pictures!

8. Marsdreamer
    Saurus

Marsdreamer New Member

Thanks everyone for the compliments and for welcoming me to the forum :)

That is strange, because I apply a heavy wash of Badab Black to almost all of my models. Perhaps it is the picture that is misrepresenting the model? When I look at them in person the gold on the shields does not appear to be flat, so I think it may just be the lighting in that particular shot.

I actually should re-post the pictures of the Sauros because I changed all the weapons in my unit from Hand Weapons to Spears, and then had to paint to keep the 5 finished models finished. I'll wait to throw up pics until I finish off the command group though, only the Musician is left :)

Thanks for the compliments, especially about the Chief :), I realized after I based him though that he's on a 25mm base, sooo I'm going to have to just redo it on a 20mm base. Just haven't gotten around to it yet :p

and pertaining to the Stegadon I know exactly what you mean. I started painting the green and asked my gf if she thought it looked like Christmas, she said it didn't cause the red wasn't really a "Christmas red", but I've been debating keeping the green hide since I painted it. I will probly just go with what is in the book (Black with purple highlights) and repaint the hide.

There should be some more updates coming soon as I still have to post pics of my Slann (once I touch him up, he's chipped in some areas), the 5 Sauros with shields with the command group, and the re-working of my Stegadon.

Stay tuned :)

9. strewart
    OldBlood

Yeah given the evidence of wash everywhere else, I suspected that may be the case. Photography can be strange. Have you tried using devlan mud on the gold area? That has the potential to add a lot more depth to gold than just the black.

10. Marsdreamer
    Saurus

Marsdreamer New Member

I have heard that this is the case, however I am currently out of Devlun Mud. Although my second Lizardmen Battleforce did come in today :D (yayyy!) so actually need to head to my local hobby shop and pick up some sprue clippers. Up until now I have only been using an exacto knife to cut all of my minis off sprues and I'm finally fed up with it, so I will probly pick up some Devlun Mud and see how that works out. Would you recommend adding the Devlun Mud straight over the already washed gold? Or should I repaint a layer of gold and then use the wash?

11. b3rtil
    Saurus

b3rtil Member

Looks awesome, simple yet stylish =)

Keep it up mate.

12. Little Wolf
    Saurus

Little Wolf New Member

Nope, I have the same dislike of red/green because of the same reason :)

13. strewart
    OldBlood

Yeah just go straight over the top, if it goes too dark then apply a light drybrush of your gold colour to brighten up the raised areas.
    You know, looking again soberer, they actually do look detailed amd good. My main concern was the middle saurus in the pics of 3 models, his shield looks brighter and really stands out so thats all I saw when I looked over it. That would just be lighting though. Give devlan mud a go on a test model and let it dry, see what you think before giving it to all of them. I really like the gold on the skink chief's helmet.

14. Cuauhtémoc
    Saurus

Cuauhtémoc New Member

Very nice color choice, very smooth. I especially like the way you do your eyes.

Question: What color did you base coat your models?

Keep up the good work!

15. Marsdreamer
    Saurus

Marsdreamer New Member

Time for a minor update. I've got pics of my 5 Sauros (now with spears) and then the command squad as well as my Slann Mage Priest.

First off, I thought I'd make a list of the models I currently own. I've gotten a bunch of new minis recently and developed quite a sizable Lizardman force very quickly.

40 Sauros Warriors
    20 Temple Guard
    16 Sauros Cavalry
    48 Skinks
    3 Chameleon Skinks
    4 Terradons
    3 Skink Chiefs
    3 Skink Priests
    1 Slann Mage Priest

With that said, I hopefully will be getting in some games next weekend and see how these guys play out full force.

Anyway, onto the pictures, here is nothing new, just my Sauros with spears now.

DSCN0860.jpg

DSCN0861.jpg

Now my command squad.

DSCN0863.jpg

DSCN0865.jpg

DSCN0866.jpg

DSCN0867.jpg

Now my Slann, please tell me of anything I need to touch up on this guy.

DSCN0873.jpg

DSCN0869.jpg

DSCN0870.jpg

DSCN0868.jpg

Edit:
    Just finished up another Skink Chief. Considering I had the model already I decided to convert him and he's almost entirely from the Stegadon box kit. I used the Skink Priest's body and the Skink Chief's head and spear arm. I then used the arm of the Skink Priest and the hand weapon of a random skink for the left arm. To give him a different looking shield I add the double shields that are supposed to go on the Stegadon + some bitz from the Temple Guard sprue, Wallah. A converted running Skink Chief. I think the running pose turned out nice and I like how the cloak around the waist turned out.

Enjoy!

DSCN0876.jpg

DSCN0874.jpg

DSCN0877.jpg

Might as well edit again and throw my Terradon up here too. Just finished painting him tonight.

DSCN0883.jpg

DSCN0882.jpg

DSCN0881.jpg

I am using a black Fusion Krylon spray. Its like 3 bucks from Walmart and is designed to bond to plastic. I use it mainly as just a primer, even if I need to paint black, I paint a layer of Chaos Black over what is already black from the spray.

16. Aikar
    Saurus

Aikar New Member

Re: Xlanhuapec Lizardmen Army Log (New Pictures Pg. 2)

I like the models, good stuff.

For the slann try to redo the belly or clean it. The wash effect doesnt look good. Try to make it 'clean' I think it will improve...

17. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Yea I'm with him on this one they all look great.
    But the Slan could a little more refinement. ;)

18. Marsdreamer
    Saurus

Marsdreamer New Member

Thanks. The Slann I painted, gee, almost a year ago (About 9 months) when I first got into my Lizardmen, and I regrettably painted him rather horribly, so he needs touch ups and fixes that are relatively difficult to do to an already painted model... And I DO NOT want to strip him.. So I'll see what I can do with him in the meantime.

My goal for him would be to repaint the belly (possibly Codex Grey to match the rest of the army) and add some strong highlights, maybe even some blending. Also I want to touch up some of the areas that are clearly not painted, like in the grooves and crevasses in the horns on the Palanquin.

Anyway, I made a painting pledge to paint ALL my skinks... So, expect a lot of pictures of them in the near future ;). And for future reference, which eyes did you guys like better? Blue or Yellow?

19. Cuetzpal Pilli
    Temple Guard

Cuetzpal Pilli Well-Known Member

I really like your color scheme. Im new to the forum and have looked at several armies from other people on the site and i want to say yours is the closest to mine...kind of. lol. the scales are bright scorpion breen on mine and the rest is dark angles with a light snot green highlight.

but i really, like how yours look :) major props!

20. Marsdreamer
    Saurus

Marsdreamer New Member

First off, welcome to the forums! :) I am new to these forums too actually, hehe.

Thanks for the compliment as well, and you should throw some pics up of your Lizardmen, let people see em' hehe