1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Yet to be named Lizardmen army!

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by DanBot, Aug 12, 2011.

1. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Re: Yet to be names Lizardmen army!

Thanks for pointing me to Hydra miniatures - looks like a great company on the rise! Those little guys would make good handlers for a Salamander conversion...hmmmm... I also note their bigger brother coming up in the Hydra minis blog (oh boy!)

Your Krox Axe looks great too - looking forward to seeing the final piece :)

2. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

My entry is finished and currently showcased in SeBM's Dec Monsters thread on page 6. Voting starts the 16th.
    This is for sure my best painted peice so far. My entry is the first done and the first showcased. Hope i spent enough time on it and he doesn't become an aquired taste by the time voting starts. Wish me luck, and throw me some votes.

Final1.jpg

Final2.jpg

Final3.jpg

The last picture was left out because of the blending on the tail not turning out quite as well as the neck and the other side of the tail. As well as the space between his foot and the base. I haven't stuck him to the base let, mostly because I don't know how yet. The base is a little tail and he weighs about 20 times as much as it.
    Though on the other hand there are a few details that are really showcased well in the 3d picture and not in the other two. It's much easier to see the rusted armor lookon the much bigger plate. I really like how it turned out. That and the weathered look of his cape.

Also looking for a matty varnish for this thing. I swear i have to do touch ups on this guy every time i pick him up.

I'll post some WIP stuff soon. Either after the 16th or closer to voting time. We'll see.

Attached Files:

3. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

That's a very awesome kroxigor, I love the head. Good luck in the competition!

4. Godel
    Skink

Godel Member

I have her

:)

The dino is quite small. Smaller than a carnosaur, bigger than a DE Cold One.

I'll take another to use the dino as Inxi Huinzi's Horned One

5. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

How is the saddle's scale? Skink sized or bigger?

6. Godel
    Skink

Godel Member

It is sure it is not Saurus-size.
    A human model suits it better, but I think it could be okay for a skink.

If not Inxi Huinzi, a hero converted from the stegadon one

This conversion is not a priority to me, but I could take a photo just to give you the proportions

7. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I guess it's not that important. I was looking for a horned one anyway. And with those things coming out of his neck, seems like as good a model as any.

8. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Small update. I lent my friend my pants because he started a deamons army so I haven't been able to do anything new since the the krox. But I figure I would put my skinks up here since I think the new models turn out better than the OOP ones.

Champion.jpg
    Here is my unit champion finished. The jade is from a combination of Totzro's and bits of tips I got from some others.

I've had this little guy in the works for a long time. He is my test saurus. Just for colors. The puple still needs some highlights and washes.

SW.jpg

The saurus inspiration. Like my skinks I am basing my saurus on a real lizard called Agama mwanzae.
    ZOS2D00Z.jpg
    agame-7195.jpg

9. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Nice! Funny thing is that lizard I has as my inspiration for my dinosaurs and beasts in my army, just didn't know that it had that name. I just googled pruple lizard :p

If you want to know my recipe for my beasts purple and blue I'm happy to share it with you.

10. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

i like it alot. i love your use of bright colors. really makes the army stand out. i am not crazy about what you did to the crest of the skink champion though, but you have a very cool army all in all. a few regiments of those saurus will make it even better (though ofc i hate the crests on the saurus models, and will always advocate cutting it off :smug:)

the jade color is brilliant BUT i think it would be even more brilliant with one bright and sharp edge highlight on the very edges. the tone of the color is really really nice, but i would love a tad more contrast on the sharp edges.

keep up the good work
    /T

11. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

@totzro: Yeah. I saw yours in the cold one line up. I mentioned that once again we shared some colors when I saw your cold one. (and voted for him) I'd like to know what you did in terms of colors for your beasts. Though I'd hate to use your colors again since I did use the Jade scheme you told me almost exactly.

@Lord Tsunami: Yeah. I did mention I suck with green stuff. That thing on his crest is pretty aweful. But from a distance, in a core unit, it's not too off putting. It was the first conversion I've done. Which isn't saying much since I haven't really improved. Props to totzro and neveroddoreven for the jade. Though mine is not nearly as good as theirs. Most of the faults with my jade is my finesse with a brush, or lack of finesse I should say. I'll get better by the time I get to the important models.
    As far as Saurus crests go, I love them in a lot of armies. I like when armies use them to mark different spawnings or make each one different in a unit of temple gaurd and such. But I do agree, unless you are using them in that fasion, they are otherwise lack luster and frankly, look bad and unrealistic from a side view. For most color schemes they should be left off unless they are being utilized to make the unit or model unique. I wish they were a seperate piece. Or the conversion was to add the crest not remove it.

12. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Got some more of my core done including 8 fully completed Saurus. So I got my colors down on those. I have 11 more started. Then I ran out of primer. So the rest will have to wait. But I get tired of painting core rather quickly and I get distarcted easily. So on that note I recently became a fan of tetto'eko. So naturally I've started a conversion for him. Nothing really ground breaking and new as far as tetto'eko conversions go. Mostly Steg kit bits and some other bitz I find laying around. As well as cork and of course some green stuff. The only thing is, I don't like the flying clear rods. I'm trying to figure something out without having to use one of them. But I don't like vines much more than the rods, so I'd rather not go down that route either. And that's the extent of what I thought of. Ideas?

13. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Use a nail, or a thick(ish) brass rod? Simple, doesn't detract from the model/conversion/painting. That's my 2 cents. I'm in the middle of a similar conundrum for my slann and tetto'eko conversion, and I think I'm just going to go with some brass.

14. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Been a while since I had a chance to get anything done. But I did some work today. Wanted to share stage one of my Tetto'eko.

Here is the start of his little 40mm seat. It's drying. I'm hoping that those vines will be part of the support holding it up there.
    quin.jpg

And here is the front of the base. I'm going to paint that little flat slot metal and write his name in it. Then add some jugle plants to it and hopefully those combined with the vines will hold him up.
    base.jpg

15. Raein
    Saurus

Raein New Member

Nice mate can't wait to see what the next step looks like :) I've been on the slack side myself, no brushes lol

16. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Very nice, excellent use of the cork board.

17. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

so far so good :)

18. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

You might want to make those vines out of wire if you hope to have them support the weight of this. Nice concept and good work on it so far!

19. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

A very nice start! Those wines seem a bit thick to me though.

20. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll be working on this thing a lot over the next few days so I'll post an update hopefully Tuesday. Unfortunately my plan is going to have to change. T`hinker`er you're totally right. These things wont support anything. I shoulda used a wire for them. But I'm a newb. Live and learn. It's only a hero. I'll do better onmy Slanns. I;m gunna have to come up with something else to hold it up. I'm now thinking paper clips. and hiding them behind plants.

And totzro, yeah. They're pretty thick. The intention was to make them thick so that they would support the quin. But having not ever really used green stuff much, I didn't know that even after it dried it would be so fragile. I don't even want to touch these things in fear of them breaking. And I used some glue to hold them in place. So taking them off could be a bit devastating to the flimsy foamy cork. Saddly I'll probabaly suck it up and make the best of it. It's not like they are a massive eye sore for me. It bothers me a liitle. But I can live with it. With any luck they wont stand out at all once I get the other plants and the skink on there.