1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Zenard's return to the hobby after 10 years

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Zenard, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Zenard
    Cold One

Zenard Active Member

Back in the hobby after 10+ years with some retouched Lizardm... Seraphon?

Story time; back when I was 8 years old and first found out about Lord of the Rings Warhammer I was thrilled, as a major LOTR fan (even at that age) I jumped the bandwagon instantly with my parents feeding my new found addiction as the spoiled brat I was.

I painted and collected avidly for a couple of years before I started to shift towards Warhammer fantasy. I loved basically all the factions and races but I leaned the most towards Lizardmen as my absolute favorite but also Skaven and Tomb Kings (never bought any Tombs though, real shame now that they've been discontinued). As I was cleaning out the garage I found my box with some figures and my old painting kit, colors / brushes and such, so I did the only reasonable thing to do and started to paint again (just to touch up some old models which I liked) and I got re-hooked again instantly.

At the moment I am pondering mostly about which color scheme I should give my Lizardmen / Seraphon army as I'm quite tired of the standard blue and don't like green! Tried two different themes so far but I really wanna hear your input and criticism on the matter (cold ones as well, experimented with deep blue with those a bit)!

So happy to be back in this hobby and I'll keep myself entertained for a very long time! Excuses for my horrid grammar and such, English not 1st language blablabla.

As I'm quite sick of the blue paint scheme I tried out some others and was really happy with how the bone white one turned out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really liked the red one as well except from behind when it's arms was being way too exposed.

[​IMG]

Used a mosaic theme with them that I really liked, will probably incorporate them in all my future Lizardmen (do people call them Seraphon these days or do they stick with Lizardmen?)

[​IMG]

And some extra pictures of my favorite. Also, I never tried out basing until now. It's a lot of fun and I think that I will start experimenting with the bigger bases!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bowser likes this.
  2. Zenard
    Cold One

Zenard Active Member

Also got this old school Kroq-Gar (do I remember the name correctly?) that's gonna get repainted soon!

[​IMG]

Next to it is a Saurus Eternity Warden that I picked up some 6 years ago or something for nostalgia sake, it's been gathering dust for so long. No more!

[​IMG]

Lastly, to celebrate my return to the hobby I picked up this great pack at a discounted price in my local toy / game store!

[​IMG]

So happy to be back and I've already had a ton of fun painting so far! Gonna browse through this forum to my hearts content for a while now!

3. Ninu
    Saurus

Ninu Member

I like the white ones :) nice color scheme :)

Zenard likes this.
  4. Zenard
    Cold One

Zenard Active Member

Thanks! Liked it as well and considered doing an entire army in that scheme but I'm thinking that it will go badly with lot's of bone and that it will get boring really quick but I'll try variants out!

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Great stuff, You could reserve the white scheme for hero's lords and champions,
    and do your spear and hand weapon units in red and blue respectively (if you already did a bunch of blue ones).

Zenard likes this.
  6. Zenard
    Cold One

Zenard Active Member

Thanks, great advise! Especially since I got Kroq-Gar and Chakax waiting to get painted! Btw I finished reading through your Lizardmen Army blog just a couple of minutes ago and gotta say man, some people in this forum (you definitely included) just blow me away completely. You especially with your converts and terrain work, simply amazing man! You're setting a golden standard to where I wanna take this hobby and my Lizardmen army! Cheers mate.

n810 likes this.
  7. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Or just add some color...like charging the scales from unit to unit. Maybe very light red and blue... Or a kind of war paint...

Really great paint scheme so far.

Zenard likes this.
  8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I love the blue scheme but that is one reason I love Seraphon, any colour goes.

I too returned last year after a 26 year break and love hearing of people that return, looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

Oh and I like the red one and as @n810 suggested, white for your heros would make a stunning army.

Not as good as blue and purple but nearly.

Zenard likes this.
  9. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I really liked the red one! Looked really sharp. They all look great though.

Zenard likes this.
  10. Zenard
    Cold One

Zenard Active Member

@tom ndege I'm gonna try to have a couple of main themes but changing the tone between pinkish to a dark red wouldn't be too bad! Same with blue and white. Experimentation is key!

@Crowsfoot as with n810 I have given your thread some eye love as well and gotta say that you've basically won me back over to the blue side so I wont be neglecting our blue brethren even if they might be in the minority! ;)

@Bowser Thanks mate! I do too, gonna try some variations soon!

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Blue is the way forward :D

Mix it up and keep it fresh, are you going to be playing AOS?

12. Zenard
    Cold One

Zenard Active Member

I have actually never played the game, painting and collecting have been satisfying enough! Won't say a definite no but for now I have no plans of getting into it! :)

13. Old One Didums
    Skink

Old One Didums Member

Definelty favour the white one, looks so clean and refreshing. May have to take that idea and add some green for the scales for mine.

Zenard likes this.
  14. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I was exactly the same but I tried AOS and love it.

It gave me another view of how my models should look and making and painting terrain is really good at getting your hobby fix, your imagination is your only limit.

Zenard likes this.
  15. Zenard
    Cold One

Zenard Active Member

@Old One Didums I think it might've helped that it was a musician with so little clutter, so the entire model looks super clean (especially with the paint job).

@Crowsfoot Actually looking around at this forum and seeing people create such astonishing terrain certainly got me pumped in trying it out! As for AOS at first I gotta get me a Slann for my army but it's not out of the question :D

Crowsfoot likes this.
  16. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

I Like the white "Snow Saurus takes on the Might of Chaos with Tub of Ice Cream and Scoop"

Shields, banners, ice-cream tubs and weapons give places to add a splash of army-theme colours - cream doesn't need to be boring and, I have to say, your shields look brilliant.

If I had unlimited time :( I would be getting very excited about the fluff reasons for unique white spawnings and then building terrain to suit the fluff-environment (City of Ash? Spawning of the Ice-Pool?)

Zenard likes this.
  17. Zenard
    Cold One

Zenard Active Member

@spawning of Bob In the midst of the jungle there exists an ivory city, where all manner of beasts come to die. This is the city of the Oldbloods and home to the ancient Slann. Towering temples of alabaster with carved runes as far as you can see and intricate decorative white gold embellishing the entirety of the city.

Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  18. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Does not exist until you make it (terrain project needed) ;)

tom ndege likes this.
  19. Zenard
    Cold One

Zenard Active Member

@Crowsfoot I'm definetely gonna start working on some terrain in the future and if I stick with the white on heroes (+maybe some more) I might actually try something out! Lots of bone and a sort of whitened ground with way less overgrowth on it, sounds like fun!

20. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Have a look through my blog at the watch tower I made, that was the first piece of terrain I ever tried and tbh it was not that hard but it is very very satisfying to see something you created from bits and bobs, see you have now got me wanting to start my Seraphon display board!!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    tom ndege likes this.