1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The army of Tsunami (TG painting guide/blog 9/11)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Lord Tsunami, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

Hi folks!

I have been playing warhammer since... 1992 i think, and i started with Lizardmen. Since then i have been trying out many armies, and i would probably say that i am mainly a dark elf player, but i still have lots of lizardmen, though most is very old. Lately i have been playing with them a bit and now i have started painting some models too. I figured id share some of them with the community.

These models are not new. In fact i painted them right when they were released. Neither are they meant to be show pieces, but rather "ready for gaming", but i still like them, hehe. I will start with my skinks, but probably in the future, i will upload pics of other units too.

My thought with the skinks was that they should all have the same skin, but with a different color on the crest for each unit. The skin is pretty drab, but the crests are vibrant for contrast.

DSCN0221.jpg
    the first unit i painted when the "new" skinks and sauri were released. Still havent put grass on the bases for some reason... better do that :p

DSCN0219.jpg
    the second unit on the same theme.

DSCN0223.jpg
    Definitely my favourite unit of skinks. I both like the colors and the poses.

DSCN0222.jpg
    Also a big favourite. I converted them in less than an hour, and it didnt take more than 30 minutes to paint the whole unit. i discovered the night before a tournament that i didnt have any chameleons and wanted to use them :D

EDIT II: nvm :smug:

Bracnos likes this.
  2. theodmino
    Saurus

theodmino New Member

Re: The army of Tsunami

Wonderfull, just flippin' wonderfull! I gotta say that those with the water base are something you should really feel proud over creating. Good on ya, mate :D

3. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

I like the small variations within armies. It does keep a great sense of unity and individuality! I would like to see those water bases closer and how you created the effect. They do get my creative juices flowing.

4. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

The water bases are very simple actually. First i covered the base with one layer of PVA glue and let it dry. Then i painted it in colors ranging from dark angels green in one corner up to almost goblin green in the opposite corner. i blended the two colors in maybe 4 steps for this, but it was really fast and easily done. Then after i glued on the model i added lines in goblin green around the skink to look like ripples. close up they arent very beautiful but the effect is very nice. lastly i varnished with a gloss varnish. thats it :)

EDIT:

oh, here are my terradons too. I had the OLD terradons when the newer ones were realeased, so i kept and repainted the terradons, but replaced the riders with plastic skinks since the newer skink models look very different from the 5th edition ones.
    DSCN0224.jpg

Lizardmen!! and Bracnos like this.
  5. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Deathfrisbee2000 New Member

Very nice! I particularly like the color scheme on the terradons!

--DF2K

6. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

These are great, thanks for sharing. I'd love more info on what you did with those chameleons. I have 6 conversions on my table right now, about half way done...photos to be posted eventually...

7. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

Piece of cake :D

i chopped off their tails and crests, and replaced the tails with a little rolled up "sausage" of green stuff. the eyes are just lumps of green stuff too. i assure you its not advanced work, nothing like what ive seen out of you :D

8. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

I'm so happy you posted the pictures of your terradons. The color usage looks amazing. I have a few terradons too and will be using your idea for color style! Thanks for letting me know how you made the bases. They just are simple, which is something I'm all about.

9. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

Im glad i could be of help :)

The color scheme for the terradons, and all my "beasts" is stolen from starwars ep 2. when they are in the big coloseum there is a beast there with similar colors that inspired me to do the stegaon below. As you can see this is a quite old model with three coats of paint by now, lol. I converted it back in 6th ed when a skink char replaced all the crew on the howdah. I use him as a normal ancient steagadon now. we arent so picky in my gaming group, though i do have a new stegadon glued together and basecoated... for 2 years ive had it now, lol. About a week ago i drilled a hole in its belly and filled it with sand to give it a more epic "feel" when you move it. That helped a LOT. I might actually paint it soon, hehe.

DSCN0228.jpg DSCN0229.jpg

Bracnos likes this.
  10. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Love that Stegadon. Also, I never realized it until you pointed it out, but the Stegadon did need more weight to be epic. Heh.

--DF2K

11. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

Filling it with sand - what an awesome idea! Did you pour glue in as well? I am definitely going to steal this idea :)

12. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

i didnt put in any glue or anything, so the stegadon can actually double as a maracas :D
    i did cover up the hole with green stuff though :D

13. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

Perhaps I will cut a slot in the top and put coins in so it can double as a piggy bank :)

14. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

Al right, time for a little update :)

First off we have my Sauri. I want them to look very much like crocodiles, so i painted them a pale grey-green (carachan green mixed with either bleached bone, rotting flesh or fortress grey depending on my mood, and inked with delvan mud) and also i cut their crests off. I HATE those stupid crests and they almost made me quit Lizarmen forever when they were released. Then i figured that it was very easy to just cut them off, and since i love the rest of the Sauri, i kept on :D
    I am not a huge fan of some of the weapons included in the sprue, so i kept to those "plank-swords" and the occasional TK sword. The champions' right hand weapon is a HE trumpet, and the musician has a dwarf trumpet. The champions' Feathers (i know, they arent great) are from an empire knight.
    Note that some of the models arent actually finished, since i still havent gotten my new bronze color from maelstrom...
    sauri1.jpg
    sauri2.jpg
    sauri3.jpg

Next we have the hero. He used to be my general in 6th (until we got a new army book in 7th), but now he is just a normal hero, or even a rank and file warrior. The body is from an old TG champ (or is it the oldblood model?), the head is from a terradon (i really think this makes him stand out as massive and big), and the weapon is from a 5th(?) ed kroxigor. The paintjob isnt great, but he looks good on the battlefield :)
    EDIT: i have no idea what possessed me to paint the string on the weapon yellow. i should fix that :rolleyes:
    hero3.jpg

Now we come to the Temple Guard. These are actually brand new. I am using a unit of 20 together with a slann as a centre for my army, and these are the first new ones painted. Note the gold instead of bronze, and note thei i painted their crests as part of their helmets. I am actually very pleased with these :)
    Templeguards1.jpg

Next come the Kroxigor. These are very ancient indeed, but i painted them well enough back then (10 years ago or so) that i am actually still satisfied with using them (unlike other stuff i painted back then, hehe). They do not see much action nowadays, but i use one together with 11 skinks in every game. Naturally i use my home made champion, made from a stone troll with a cold one head, and an old "horned one" tail.
    DSCN0243.jpg
    Krox.jpg

The Salamanders is something i started (re)using very recently. I converted them roughly back when our current armybook was released, because i didnt like the "new" models, and wasnt overly fond of the old ones either. They are made from kroot hounds with tails of green stuff. If i was a better sculpter, i would sculpt cooler legs for them, but the heads (and the tails if i may say so) look good at lest :D
    DSCN0241.jpg
    DSCN0242.jpg

Bracnos likes this.
  15. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Re: The army of Tsunami (Update on pg.2 - 27th Apr)

Love all the conversions,
    Great paint all round. :D

16. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Those salamanders are a smart trick. I love these models, sir. Wonderful job.

--DF2K

17. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

YAHOO!!! You sir, :spiderman: (blasted it), out of the park. Lets see the rest!

18. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

Small update on a WIP project. Ill give you two pictures. A golden star to the one who can guess what it will become in the end :smug:

DSCN0255-vert.jpg

19. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

only one thing comes in mind, throne of vines? :)

20. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

It is indeed! Good guess Sir :smug:

Last week i removed the paint from my old Slann (using pure ethanol and a sonicator... its good to work in a lab some times, hehe). Since that model has sauri to carry the Slann I decided to do something special for it. I always use the lore of life, so thone of vines seemed like a cool idea. Now he is borne aloft by the forces of nature rather than sauri. Here is a pic of the vines and one of the Slann. Both are very much WIP ofc, but still :D

Slann1.jpg
    I added some extra vines since last pic. looks better now imo. The vines are made from green stuff wrapped around metal wire, and the leaves are greenstuff glued on after drying. It is not very skillfully done, but i think it will look good enough when painted.

Slann4.jpg
    The slann looks a bit greener than it is, and the highlights will take it more to brown. The colors are from the famous Hypno Toad! :smug:

Attached Files:

Bracnos likes this.