TOW 1000 vs Dwarves

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by discomute, Aug 22, 2024.

1. discomute
    Troglodon

discomute Well-Known Member

===
    Aeontezin's Questers (HO) [1000 pts]
    Warhammer: The Old World, Lizardmen
    ===

++ Characters [346 pts] ++

Aeontezin [235 pts]
    - Hand weapon
    - Heavy armour (Scaly skin)
    - Shield
    - General
    - Cold-One
    - Horned One
    - Bedazzling Helm
    - Charmed Shield

Skink Chief [111 pts]
    - Cavalry spear (if appropriately mounted)
    - Light armour (Calloused hide)
    - Shield
    - Battle Standard Bearer
    - Ripperdactyl

++ Core Units [334 pts] ++

18 Saurus Warriors [284 pts]
    - Thrusting spears
    - Shields
    - Spawn Leader (champion)
    - Standard bearer

10 Skink Skirmishers [50 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields
    - Light armour (Calloused hides)

++ Special Units [120 pts] ++

3 Ripperdactyl Riders [120 pts]
    - Cavalry spears
    - Shields
    - Light armour (Calloused hides)

++ Rare Units [200 pts] ++

Troglodon [200 pts]
    - Venomous talons
    - Venom spray
    - Skink Oracle with Hand weapon

---
    Created with "Old World Builder"

[https://old-world-builder.com]

A 1000 point army when I'm still trying to be reasonable with my power level. It allowed me to take the three units I'm really enjoying at the moment - troglodon, ripperducks and old blood on a horned one. We got mountain pass which I felt favoured him as my skirmishing would be reduced.

20240822_185749.jpg

I was happy with how deployment worked out. My plan is to allow his two main infantry units to crash into my Saurus, they'll die but I should win the right side of the battle and therefore the VPs.

Turn 1 - me
    He moved his gyrocopter vanguard up which I thought was a mistake. It allowed my skinks an open run and I did two wounds. Otherwise we advanced

Turn 1 - him
    His irondrakes did 4 wounds to my Trog. He has a st8 d3 gun on that champion!

His gyrocopter bombs my skinks but blows himself up in the process.

Turn 2 - me

20240822_191457.jpg

I declare a lot of charges

Unsurprisingly, my Troglodon dies to stand and shoot

My old blood surprises him by charging his hand gunners, they even do a wound on the way in, damn

Ripperducks charge into the iron breakers.

Right now I'm pretty confident, hoping to punch through and swing back around.

However - combat does not go as expected. The ripperducks don't roll well, I think do one wound, and take a wound and loses combat and GG. No charge next turn. The old blood rolls reasonably but I have to be realistic it will take him some time to dispatch the handgunners.

Turn 2 - him

He marched his ordinary infantry (longbeards?) up towards the Saurus but the hammerers with his Thane turn around trying to get into combat behind him either with the old blood or rippers. I'm not sure what I think here, I did not expect that. It's hard for a unit to lock down skirmishers, especially a slow one. But, if it works I suspect he'll win the game. So the pressure is on me to win the combats and get out of there before they arrive. And boy did I underestimate the ironbreakers.

His iron breakers do a wound and win combat, they are so damn tough. (Ws5, t4, 3+/6+ saves) The rippers FBIGO and he elects not to follow up. I didn't think much of it at the time until my turn, but that was a mistake. The old blood reduces the gunners to 3 models and they GG and the old blood restrains himself.

Turn 3 - me

20240822_194818.jpg

After too much consideration I decide to charge both the old blood and the rippers into the iron breakers. (Skirmish is so good in this game, where my old blood and rippers can basically pick any of 4 targets)

He shouldn't be able to get me with his hammerers next turn so I'll have a few combats to get out of there.

The old blood and rippers do alright but those iron breakers aren't going anywhere and I'm now down to 2 rippers. They GG and I follow up.

My Saurus stand in front of his infantry daring them to charge. Let's see what happens!

My skinks shoot and at the end of the game eventually wipe out the handgunners. Or was one model left? Can't remember

Turn 3 - him

His infantry charges my Saurus. They win combat but it's close. Fortunately I GG. My bsb is out of position so I can't roll badly.

His hammers move close

His iron drakes flank charge my rippers and it's a close combat and dwarves again win. The ripperducks FBIGO and the ironbreakers follow up. The old blood tries to flee but BSB gets him to GG. Phew.

Turn 4 - me
    My old blood charges the ironbreakers and have whittled them down and, finally, wipe the unit out. I intentionally overrun as it will take me out of the charge range of the hammerers.

My opponent laments his best unit and general may not get into combat. I'm proud of this, so much of Warhammer tow is deployment and movement. I doubt his best unit will get to fight in the mountain pass.

Rest of game
    20240822_203751.jpg

The old blood flank charges his infantry and they are wiped out.

The rippers charge the irondrakes but can't get it done

He can't get his hammerers into combat

It's a win for the Lizardmen

What did I learn?
    Skirmishers are terrific for these sort of games and my playstyle. The ripperducks damage output was lower than I expected but dwarves are tough and to be fair they really stuck around. My oldblood also didn't do a lot of damage but did enough. Dwarves did well for being so infantry heavy.

Afte this game I thought I had played flawlessly and my opponent only made a few slight miscalculations. I got lucky in combat with my Saurus but I don't think it changed the result.

Having written it up, it has struck me how fortunate I was with my break tests. I had a leadership of 8 and mostly had the BSB (but not always) and lost combat regularly. One unit fleeing away would have made a huge difference in the game. So I think overall I had the luck.

Lastly, I'll.note my opponent was restricted in his army list as a lot of his units haven't arrived yet.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2024
    bucks likes this.
  2. bucks
    Jungle Swarm

bucks New Member

Great Reports!
    I really appreciate them!

Im off to start my lizarmen army again. My big love are the dwarfs, thats why i Need to comment here ;D. But the most fun playing out of all armies i had with the lizardmen!
    It really helps me to geht into the lizardmen in tow with reading these posts.

The pictures help to geht an idea of the battlefield and your decisions and i like ur „what did i learn“ breaket.

Keep going!