TOW 1200 points of Lizardmen fun

Discussion in 'Lizardmen Army Lists' started by Raagint, Sep 12, 2024 at 9:06 PM.

Tags:
  1. Raagint
    Skink

Raagint New Member

We're playing a tag team of lizardmen and empire vs dwarves and ogres soonish. For Lizardmen I was thinking of going melee heavy with as many monsters as possible. With empire i'll focus more on magic, cannons, and cavalry. Below is a list I've been working on; what do you think? It's missing something -- like a ruby ring on the chief just for the lulz :D

Lizardmen - Lizardmentest1200 - [1151pts]

# ++ Main Force ++ [1151pts]
    ## Characters [581pts]
    Saurus Scar-Veteran [296pts]: Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Great Weapon, Shield, General, Talisman Of Protection, Carnosaur (Heavy Armour, Slashing talons)
    Skink Chief [285pts]: Hand Weapon, Light Armour, Battle Standard Bearer
    • 1x Stegadon [215pts]: 5x Skink Crew (Hand Weapon, Javelin), Great horns, Giant Blowpipes

## Core [340pts]
    Saurus Warriors [140pts]:
    • 10x Saurus Warrior [14pts]: Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield
    Skink Skirmishers [50pts]:
    • 10x Skink [5pts]: Hand Weapon, Light Armour, Javelins and Shields

## Rare [230pts]
    Ancient Stegadon [230pts]: 5x Skink Crew (Hand Weapon, Javelin), Great horns, Giant Blowpipes

2. discomute
    Troglodon

discomute Well-Known Member

Remove 50 points of skinks and the scar vet's shield. Take the armour of meteoric iron.

As you had 49 points left over that gives you 81 points to play with, you can take 5 more Saurus and a standard.

Also an additional hand weapon for your chief which gives you 1199 I believe (Ah wait that might not fit in the character allowance, oh well)

BeardedLizard likes this.
  3. Raagint
    Skink

Raagint New Member

I still feel like its missing something. The skink chief is quite unprotected although the point is to bring two stegadons into the fight.. Also no magic weapons. Do the dwarves/ogres have access to cheap ethereal?

Lizardmen - Lizardmentest1200 - [1197pts]

# ++ Main Force ++ [1197pts]
    ## Characters [599pts]
    Saurus Scar-Veteran [314pts]: Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Great Weapon, General, Armour of Meteoric Iron, Talisman Of Protection, Carnosaur (Heavy Armour, Slashing talons)
    Skink Chief [285pts]: Hand Weapon, Light Armour, Battle Standard Bearer
    • 1x Stegadon [215pts]: 5x Skink Crew (Hand Weapon, Javelin), Great horns, Giant Blowpipes

## Core [368pts]
    Saurus Warriors [203pts]:
    • 14x Saurus Warrior [14pts]: Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield
    • 1x Standard Bearer [7pts]
    Skink Skirmishers [55pts]:
    • 11x Skink [5pts]: Hand Weapon, Light Armour, Javelins and Shields
    Skink Skirmishers [60pts]: Scouts

## Rare [230pts]
    Ancient Stegadon [230pts]: 5x Skink Crew (Hand Weapon, Javelin), Great horns, Giant Blowpipes

Empire list:

The Empire of Man - Empire test - [1197pts]

# ++ Main Force ++ [1197pts]
    ## Characters [481pts]
    Captain of the Empire [226pts]: Hand Weapon, Griffon (Heavy Armour, Serrated Maw, Wicked Claws), Full Plate Armour, General, Sword of Striking, Talisman Of Protection
    Wizard Lord [255pts]: Hand Weapon, Wizard Level 4, Battle Magic, Pegasus (Hand Weapon), Armour of Tarnus, Ruby Ring of Ruin

## Core [466pts]
    Empire Archers [70pts]:
    • 10x Archer [7pts]: Hand Weapon, Warbow
    Empire Knights [132pts]:
    • 6x Empire Knight [22pts]: Barded Warhorse (Barding, Hand Weapon), Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance
    Empire Knights [132pts]:
    • 6x Empire Knight [22pts]: Barded Warhorse (Barding, Hand Weapon), Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance
    Empire Knights [132pts]:

## Special [250pts]
    Great Cannon [125pts]: Great Cannon, Gun Crew (Hand Weapon)

4. DoubleSkulls
    Skink

DoubleSkulls Member

I'd really want a Skink Priest to provide a bit of magical defence. Otherwise magic missiles could rip your skinks to pieces. Even against a L4 a L2 can make a difference - particularly against the RRoR. This may mean dropping the Skink Chief and putting the Priest on the Ancient, which I think is fine.

Against that empire list I'm not sure the Armour of Meteroic Iron is needed (not to say its not a good choice). You could run naked (i.e. the 5+ from the Carnosaur) and spend the points elsewhere. Its a bit higher risk without it.

I'd keep the Saurus at 10 models myself without a standard. Its just easy VPs for the Knights otherwise. Spend more on Skinks or even a Jungle Swarm (which will probably tie up one of the knight units for a while) if you've more points to spend.

Against that opposition the Giant Blowpipes are better than the Bow on the Stegadons, but if you were up against higher armour and/or more multiple wound models the Bow can be a nice alternative.

5. Raagint
    Skink

Raagint New Member

@DoubleSkulls Unfortunately I just cant squeeze in a skink priest on stegadon and a carnosaur/scarvet combo -- not enough points. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. As for the Empire army, its Lizardmen & Empire vs Ogres & Dwarves. I updated the empire army:

The Empire of Man - Empire test - [1199pts]

# ++ Main Force ++ [1199pts]
    ## Characters [453pts]
    Captain of the Empire [233pts]: Hand Weapon, Shield, Griffon (Heavy Armour, Serrated Maw, Wicked Claws), Full Plate Armour, General, Sword of Might, The White Cloak
    Wizard Lord [220pts]: Hand Weapon, Wizard Level 4, Battle Magic, Pegasus (Hand Weapon), Ruby Ring of Ruin

## Core [300pts]
    Empire Knights [110pts]:
    • 5x Empire Knight [22pts]: Barded Warhorse (Barding, Hand Weapon), Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance
    Empire Knights [190pts]: Drilled
    • 8x Empire Knight [22pts]: Barded Warhorse (Barding, Hand Weapon), Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance
    • 1x Preceptor [6pts]

## Special [446pts]
    Demigryph Knights [196pts]:
    • 3x Demigryph Knight [63pts]: Demigryph (Barding, Hand Weapon, Wicked Claws), Hand Weapon, Shield, Full Plate Armour, Lance
    • 1x Standard Bearer [7pts]

6. DoubleSkulls
    Skink

DoubleSkulls Member

Good point! How are you handling the tag team rules? In particular would you let the Empire L4 try to dispel spells targeting the lizards?

Up against Ogres I'd definitely take the Giant Bows as they are more of a threat than Blowpipes IMO.

7. Raagint
    Skink

Raagint New Member

Havent discussed it yet but I guess the lvl 4 will be able dispel spells coming at the lizards. If not, then I might change the scarvet to a decked out oldblood and lvl 2 priest on foot. As for the giant bow, I've played a few games now and I just haven't had any luck with it. With blow pipes you at least get poison.

8. DoubleSkulls
    Skink

DoubleSkulls Member

I don't think you can sensibly fit an Ancient Stegadon priest and a Carnosaur riding saurus. There is only 20 points left for magic items and equipment. I just don't think that's a good balance. You don't have capacity in rare to afford 2 stegadons either. If you can get cover from the Empire wizard then perhaps that's good enough. Maybe consider adding another L2 to the Empire list with the specific view of them running magical interference, maybe with the Wizards familiar for the extra dispel pip. If you can do that, then I'd stick with what you've got.

If you can't, because you can't take a Priest and an Oldblood (stupid character limits) then I'm thinking you may just have to suck up lack of magic protection. Maybe being up against Dwarfs would make that okay. If they take an Anvil I'd probably go with a Priest maybe on foot with the Scar Vet on Carno.

In my experience Blowpipes and Bows are about the same most of the time, mainly useless! They both have poison, but on a single shot S5 it matters less. Blowpipes have an extra -1 to hit and shorter range. So moving & shooting, long range (9"+) and multi-shot are 7s to hit, so can't use poison. Its more the S5 AP-3 means the Bows can hurt things that skinks struggle with, i.e. high armour. Against multi-wound high armour, e.g. lords on monster, they can be seen as a threat which can be used to your benefit. If you actually hit anything so much the better.

9. TzhunkiHuanchisukaePiangi
    Saurus

TzhunkiHuanchisukaePiangi Member

Better cover for General, and a bit of Magic ===
    ===
    Chief [1200 pts]
    Warhammer: The Old World, Lizardmen
    ===

++ Characters [594 pts] ++

Saurus Scar-Veteran [314 pts]
    - Great weapon
    - Heavy armour (Scaly skin)
    - General
    - Carnosaur
    - Armour of Meteoric Iron
    - Talisman of Protection

Skink Chief [150 pts]
    - Additional hand weapon
    - Light armour (Calloused hide)
    - Shield
    - Battle Standard Bearer
    - Terradon
    - Glyph Necklace

Skink Priest [130 pts]
    - Hand weapon
    - Light armour (Calloused hide)
    - Level 2 Wizard
    - On foot
    - Cloak Of Feathers
    - Elementalism

++ Core Units [351 pts] ++

14 Saurus Warriors [231 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Shields
    - Heavy armour (Scaly skin)
    - Shieldwall
    - Spawn Leader (champion)
    - Standard bearer
    - Musician

12 Skink Skirmishers [70 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields
    - Light armour (Calloused hides)
    - Scouts

10 Skink Skirmishers [50 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields
    - Light armour (Calloused hides)

++ Rare Units [255 pts] ++

Ancient Stegadon [255 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Great horns
    - Engine of the Gods

---
    Created with "Old World Builder"

[https://old-world-builder.com]

10. Kalisto
    Kroxigor

Kalisto Active Member

Personally cloak of feather has become a bit useless wince your heroes can mount a terradon/ripperdactyl, lore familiar is so much better (or ruby ring of ruin). Also because you cannot march (and flying 20 is considered marching now) and cast magical vortex/missiles. So those points for just a 4" improvement is often not justified.

I like to play the skink chief with ruby ring of ruin and charmed shield. Often is a better combo than just a melee champion. Against war machine you should don't have problem anyway since you start always first with initiative 6. I still haven't found the best weapon combination. Javelin is good, two hand weapons are good too but you lose the shield armour save so personally i still prefer a spear for the melee option.

11. DoubleSkulls
    Skink

DoubleSkulls Member

This is 91 points more than you need to put into Saurus. I'd much rather have 18 more skinks. so you could have 4 units of 10.

12. TzhunkiHuanchisukaePiangi
    Saurus

TzhunkiHuanchisukaePiangi Member

you can't hide a hero on terradon from shooting. with the feather cloak you can. I gave ts to the skink hero only because he is a standard-bearer, and if the other has shooting, you risk too many points. I also play the hero with ring and shield on terradon in 2000 point lists

13. Kalisto
    Kroxigor

Kalisto Active Member

In you last list the sorcerer had it...not the hero.
    Yah consider however that alone hae to test panic often and ld6 (even if you can reroll) isn't a lot. It's just ok since you are cold blooded

14. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

If you want to go melee heavy, ditch the Skink Skirmishers and replace them with more Saurus. Everyone is fawning over Skink Skirmishers right now but they're a spineless way to play, and any enemy with halfway decent artillery or magic will be able to blow them away. Plus they're useless against heavily-armoured units. If you're definitely up against Empire Saurus will hold their own against a lot they have to offer.