1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 1200 Seraphon Comp

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Hutch9935, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Hutch9935
    Skink

Hutch9935 Member

Hey Guys
    So I have a competition coming up on Saturday (25th February 2017) and I will be entering with Seraphon. It will be my first competition, its a buy of fun but I'd love to do well. But here's where I need help. I'm trying to build a good 1200 Point competitive list and I'm struggling a little. At the moment I'm looking at something based on an Eternal starhost but I'm open to suggestions. I know it's short notice but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

What have you got available to you?

3. Hutch9935
    Skink

Hutch9935 Member

I'm part of a university club so I have access to most things but I don't have access to
    -skink starseer
    -any stegodon variants
    -ripperdactyls
    -kroxigors
    -lord Kroak
    -razordons
    Pretty sure I have access to everything else

Bowser likes this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Off the top of my head somrthing like:
    Leaders
    Saurus Eternity Warden (140)
    Skink Starpriest (100)
    Saurus Sunblood (120)
    - General

Battleline
    5 x Saurus Guard (100)
    - Seraphon Battleline
    5 x Saurus Guard (100)
    - Seraphon Battleline
    5 x Saurus Guard (100)
    - Seraphon Battleline
    10 x Skinks (80)
    - Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (80)
    - Boltspitters & Star Bucklers

Units

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (300)

Battalions
    Eternal Starhost (80)

Total: 1200/1200

Qupakoco and Hutch9935 like this.
  5. Hutch9935
    Skink

Hutch9935 Member

I like the look of it, a few questions though. Why the inclusion of the Sunblood? Also where and how would I use the skinks? And why a star priest over a basic priest?

Bowser likes this.
  6. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

The Starpriest is more likely to be successful as well has more options like mystic shield if needed. Priest has 1 dice and a 50% chance.
    Sunblood is in there but could be changed out for a scar-vet on cold one Just need a general with an ability to buff the guard.
    The skinks are chaff and a bit of shooting. Put them into a big group of 20 if you like, but they can block charges or hold up an enemy for a turn if you need to reposition your fighting force. You could replace them with 2 salamanders and some handlers as well if that suits you better

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Hutch9935 likes this.
  7. Hutch9935
    Skink

Hutch9935 Member

Sorry for the late reply
    Cheers for all the help, going to get a chance to test it tonight so I'll let you know how it goes

Bowser likes this.
  8. Hutch9935
    Skink

Hutch9935 Member

So tried out the list against my mates Tzeentch army and he was fully expecting to tear me apart. However he didn't realise just what Temple Guard could do. It surprised me too, the D3 damage and the 2+ save from the formation let two Temple Guard (the other 3 got killed by magic) weather a charge from an Ogrid Thaumaturge and then hit back and kill it in one round. I did lose due to a silly mistake though, it was a Blood and glory game and I moved a little too far forward, allowing a shaman on a disc to fly over my army and a unit of Tzaangors to disengage and run for the objective and win. The only criticism I got from some veteran membes was taking a Starpriest over a priest. General consensus was that the celestial rites would have been more useful than the spells. Sunblood unfortunately got killed in the first turn by mortal wounds from Skyfires.

Seraphage, Bowser and Aginor like this.
  9. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I somewhat disagree concerning the Starpriest vs. Priest.
    For me the Starpriest is much better than the Priest.
    That may have to do with the fact that last week I rolled a 3 or less six times in a row though. The chance for a successful spell by the Starpriest are higher and his Serpent Staff buff is nice if you have many attacks.

Hutch9935 and Bowser like this.
  10. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Agreed that the priest's buff would be better, but that 50% chance to get it is what makes me choose the starpriest. Sounds like a great game though!

Hutch9935 likes this.
  11. Hutch9935
    Skink

Hutch9935 Member

I suppose there is that, thing is the Starpriest has a selection of spells meaning I have to choose, Arcane bolt is one I'd usually ignore, so that leaves Mystic shield and Starlight. In the game I ended up using Mystic Shield to try and keep my eternity Warden alive (which it did) to keep the formation up. Was that the right move? The other player kept his daemon units away from the Starpriest so I couldn't Starlight them.

Also massive thanks for all the help. It's hugely appreciated. I'll take this list to the tournament on Saturday and post the results. Hopefully you'll see and hear more from me on LO.

Seraphage and Bowser like this.
  12. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Mystic shield was the right call, it's unfortunate that you were under that kind of pressure. If you feel like modding or can find one Tehenhauin is 80 points and he has the same celestial rites ability as a skink priest. If you can fit him in, having that option is great.

13. Hutch9935
    Skink

Hutch9935 Member

Well, had the tournament today and I have to say, the lizards really pulled through. Whilst the 2+ saves and lots of D3 damage attacks made the temple guard essentially reptile terminators, the skinks put in so much work that I was not expecting. Played an Ironjaws player and the skinks took a charge from gore gruntas, shot one down and then killed another in melee the next turn, admittedly the bastiladon helped soften them up but just so much unexpected damage. They also took out 280 points of Warplock Jezzails by killing one and then the guy rolled a 6 in battleshock. The skaven player was no happy. The eternity warden was near useless apart from the part he played in the formation but I gave him phoenix stone so he survived the whole day. The Starpriest also helped keep the eternity warden alive with Mystic shield. I think after today I will have to admit starpriest is more useful. The Sunblood had a relic blade and Legendary fighter and put out a lot of damage, taking out a freeguild general very quickly. And the look when all 12 shots go off from the bastiladon against a unit which had been marked for rerolling missed hits was hilarious. All in all a great day. I placed second overall in the tournament which I am incredibly happy about considering its my first time. Huge thanks for the assistance and advice, will definitely be back for advice. Thanks again for all the help.

14. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Great!

Hutch9935 and Bowser like this.
  15. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Glad it worked out for you! Sounds like a great time, and you played it nearly perfectly! Anything you would change about the list going forward?

Hutch9935 likes this.
  16. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Congrats, well done !

Bowser and Hutch9935 like this.
  17. Hutch9935
    Skink

Hutch9935 Member

Well the reason I placed second instead of first was because all the games were objective based and apart from the skinks everything was rather slow, plus the temple guard lose their D3 damage if they move. I feel what the army really needed was some of the more mobile units. But I don't know what I would have subbed out, everything played an essential part. I guess its all just part of this formation, maybe a firelance starhost army would have been more suited to such an objective based tournament? Not sure but I guess its something to think about for next time.

Seraphage and Bowser like this.
  18. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

What armies were you against besides Tzeentz ?
    Did any of them felt a worse opponent for your list due to his mobility or anything else ?

Bowser likes this.
  19. Hutch9935
    Skink

Hutch9935 Member

There wasn't actually a Tzeentch army there, the biggest problems were the Stormcasts, Spider Clan/Moonclan Grots and Ironjaws. The Ironjaws had the destruction ability that allowed them to move D6 inches before the movement phase, and weren't too slow either so they could get to objectives fast, the Mixed Grot army was just fast all round and the Stormcasts could deploy from the heavens and were fast anyway, what with 2 Fulminators, 1 lord on a Dracoth and a Celestant Prime

Bowser likes this.
  20. InfamousBeany
    Cold One

InfamousBeany Well-Known Member

@Hutch9935 Congratulations! Placing second in a tournament is no small feat, especially with pure Seraphon.

Would you mind pasting your finalised list that you used? I imagine it would be a good resource for others to use.

Also in regards to a more mobile contingent for your armies, a unit or two of chameleon skinks would do you well for taking objectives (and slaying enemy artillery).

Look forward to hearing of future successes!

Seraphage, Bowser and Hutch9935 like this.