TOW 1500 v Empire

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by discomute, Jul 19, 2024.

1. discomute
    Troglodon

discomute Well-Known Member

=
    ==
    Venertalli's Warriors [1496 pts]
    Warhammer: The Old World, Lizardmen
    ===

++ Characters [678 pts] ++

Slann Mage-Priest [335 pts]
    - Hand weapon
    - General
    - Becalming Cogitation
    - High Magic

Skink Chief [343 pts]
    - Additional hand weapon
    - Light armour (Calloused hide)
    - Battle Standard Bearer [War Banner]
    - Stegadon [Giant bow]
    - Talisman of Protection

++ Core Units [818 pts] ++

20 Saurus Warriors [334 pts]
    - Thrusting spears
    - Shields
    - Heavy armour (Scaly skin)
    - Shieldwall
    - Spawn Leader (champion)
    - Standard bearer

10 Skink Skirmishers [50 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields
    - Light armour (Calloused hides)

20 Temple Guard [334 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Halberds
    - Shields
    - Heavy armour (Scaly skin)
    - Revered Guardian (champion)
    - Standard bearer

- Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields

- Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields

---
    Created with "Old World Builder"

He has
    Level 4 battle mage, BSB in a unit of halberdiers

Unit of great weapon full plate guys

2 cannons

Bow Scouts

10 guys with guns

6 knights

Scenario & straight battle as I'm playing a first timer. Terrain is deployed and he got the side with the hills.

I like deployment. I'm running away from his knights and hopefully claiming the centre.

Magic I have, Tempest, monsoon, magic missile and the 5+ ward save

He rolls really badly with battle and missed both the vortex and the fireball.

Turn 1 - him

20240719_174616.jpg

He moves up and when he shoots disaster strikes for him. One canon misfires and is removed, one canon misfires and loses a model. His scouts kill a skink

Turn 1 - me

20240719_175948.jpg

I move up and my skinks hit 6 6's from 10 on his scouts and they break and don't come back. Luck is with me it appears.

I get some vortexes off but they don't do too much

Turn 2 - him
    20240719_181812.jpg

Okay so magic - he basically can't do anything for the game. My Becalming Cogitation locks him down, and I'm ensuring I'm between 24 and 27 the entire game hes out of combat.

He continues to advance and kills a model or two with shooting

He moves his Pegasus straight at the Slann. As a skirmisher it's so good and it will be big effort to stay out of combat.

Turn 2 - me

I think I miss a photo here, but I don't do much more but advance slowly and ensure my skinks and stegadon is out of charge range.

My Slann does its best to get away from the Lord but can only casts monsoon between it the lord and it blocking LoS. Will have to get lucky for it to last.

I actually have a crack at the MM at the Pegasus but to scatters on my Saurus and kills one haha.

Turn 3 - him
    20240719_185556.jpg

I get very lucky and he can't fated dispell monsoon and it scatters on top of the lord so no line of sight for the Slann, or even to the Saurus unit!

His canon hits the Slann but he rolls a 1 to wound.

Both infantry blocks charge. His big unit kills 1 Saurus and I kill 2 but his magic Standard and bsb means he wins and I GG.

I just win (by 1 I think) with the TG and two handed swords. He gives ground and I restrain so I can charge.

Turn 3 - me

20240719_192922.jpg

Skinks kill one knight
    Skinks kill the remaining canon with poison

Slann flees into monsoon to hide. Doesn't take a wound but yeah it will probably scatter away next turn but it's all I can do.

Stegadon charges big unit in flank. As expected, together the Steggy and Saurus spears obliterate the halberdiers. Halberdiers flee and are run down. I was lucky with rolling for the combat.

But that's nothing compared to the luck in the other combat - my rolling is ridiculous and the TG win easily (I killed 8 of 13 attacks when it was 4+ 2+ with 5+ saves) the great sworders break and are run down.

He concedes. I suggest we continue as likely monsoon will scatter. He can hit my Slann with his Pegasus and with luck the knights..if they win and follow into the Saurus they will likely win that too. But he doesn't want to.so that's game.

End
    20240719_195638.jpg

Why did I win?

Mostly it was luck. The rolling was crazy. Just one.of those games for me. I felt bad as it was opponents first game with TOW, he mostly plays 4/5th.

Obviously I did a good job and avoiding combat with his better troops, I did suggest next time to run the knights at a block of infantry so I can't get out of the way. But literally everything went my way, so it was mostly luck.

Lessons
    It's extraordinarily hard to stay out of combat with the Slann with a Pegasus knight. I like ethereal better but hey, most of the time they'll run a magic weapon so yeah. Slann are just so difficult with the new rules.

High magic was okay, bizarrely monsoon was the big winner. Nothing else did much and I don't like their magic missile. It's only good for large blocks of infantry and you need to be in range. Tempest is actually very good... it can really help you getting charge as it turns everything into difficult ground. But the 27 inch range and staying out was really what made vortexes viable.

I'm now 7-2 for TOW, wow

Last edited: Jul 19, 2024
    Imrahil likes this.