TOW 1500 vs Orcs & Goblins

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by discomute, Jun 28, 2024 at 2:37 PM.

1. discomute
    Troglodon

discomute Well-Known Member

First the Wood Elves try to use this mountain pass to gain access to our sacred site and now the greenskins charge at us. Well, the great plan requires us to hold it and hold it we shall...

===
    1500 scar vet [1499 pts]
    Warhammer: The Old World, Lizardmen
    ===

++ Characters [714 pts] ++

Slann Mage-Priest Mutumbo [375 pts]
    - Hand weapon
    - Lore Familiar
    - Higher State Of Mind
    - Necromancy

Saurus Scar-Veteran [339 pts]
    - Great weapon
    - Heavy armour (Scaly skin)
    - Battle Standard Bearer
    - Carnosaur
    - Armour of Meteoric Iron
    - Talisman of Protection

++ Core Units [389 pts] ++

18 Saurus Warriors [284 pts]
    - Thrusting spears
    - Shields
    - Spawn Leader (champion)
    - Standard bearer

10 Skink Skirmishers [55 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields
    - Light armour (Calloused hides)
    - Vanguard

10 Skink Skirmishers [50 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields
    - Light armour (Calloused hides)

++ Special Units [196 pts] ++

4 Kroxigors [196 pts]
    - Great weapons

++ Rare Units [200 pts] ++

Troglodon [200 pts]
    - Venomous talons
    - Venom spray
    - Skink Oracle with hand weapon (required)

---
    Created with "Old World Builder"

[https://old-world-builder.com]

He has
    - Unit black orcs red raggitty banner
    - warboss in unit
    - 6 boar boys
    - 5 wolf riders
    - level 3 orc wizard on a boar
    - night goblins with short bows
    - big unit of night goblins

Deployment
    My favourite part and I think he's won it. My Kroxigor are going after his goblins whereas I need their strength and AP on the orcs. Now I look at it, the Saurus may not get into combat and I'm basically resting everything on the carnosaur wrecking everything. I end the deploy first too - that.never happens!

Turn 1 - me
    20240628_181303.jpg

Forgot to take.this early I'd moved a few units

Just press forward and successfully get my Necro vortex off

The vanguard skinks manage to kill a boar boy (I'm stoked with that, I think it's about 50/50). The other skinks hit a few goblin archers.

Turn 1 - him
    20240628_182321.jpg

The boar Boyz charge the skinks. I stand and shoot and roll out of this world. The skinks kill 3 Boyz! That's 4 in total and there are 2 left. But they roll.well in combat taking down 7. The skinks FBIGO and the Boyz puruse.

A little.bit of shooting but nothing too noticeable from memory.

Turn 2 - me
    20240628_185620.jpg

The carnosaur declares a charge and smashes into his main unit. A combination of Slann magic (that Hex that takes toughness) and some.good rolling means the skinks wipe out the wolf riders. The Kroxigor and the Troglodon get right up to the night goblins so they can't get out of their vision arc. The carnosaur accepts a challenge from their general and we do 3 wounds (but 2 regenerate) and 1 goes back. We lose combat and GG

My magic does little as i try to attack his leadership.

Skinks all dead the boars reform.to.charge

Turn 2 - him

20240628_192712.jpg
    Carnosaur is in combat just physically slides off the hill

The boar Boyz rear charge the carnosaur. I issue a challenge and the general accepts. He does not wound the carnosaur and I kill the general - just! We again GG.

Meanwhile fanatics!! Silly me. Some magic by him to remove d3 toughness too but the fanatics do 11 wounds to the Krox and one more from magic missile and the krox are all gone. Now the trog is solo holding a flank...

In general he does well all game with his magic and hexes and enchantments

Turn 3 - me

20240628_194825.jpg
    Carnosaur still in combat, where the green dice are

The trog charges and the archers flee from terror, they do not rally for the game.

The skinks try to jav the orc shaman to death and do a wound.

If my Slann was in charge range of the black orcs he would charge. He's ethereal and would disrupt the unit and get a flank bonus. (It makes me wonder about taking as assailment spell and actively using him in combat, such a shame the Necro signature spell is the worst in the game)

Carnosaur issues a challenge and they do not accept. The carnosaur focuses all its effort on removing the boar Boyz to take that rear bonus away but we only get 1 wound off.We lose by quite a bit and roll a 10 on leadership - BSB reroll means we FBIGO. Phew. The Boyz follow up the black orcs do not. They want the Saurus

Turn 3 - him
    20240628_201221.jpg

His night goblins charge my Troglodon but fail thanks to my hex. Curse of the Years does well all game - unlike everything else I cast.

His black orcs charge and smash the Saurus. We FBIGO and they follow up.

The carnosaur kills the last boar Boyz overruns and reforms.

Turn 4 - me
    20240628_204319.jpg

A big turn here. I felt like he was in front but with a small bit of luck here I think I can win the battle. The carnosaur rear charges. The Saurus put up a better fight and the black orcs lose and FBIGO. (We are a bit unsure of FBIGO with a front and
    Rear attacker. Do they pay for the wheel? Do the pursuers? Edit okay pursuers get a free wheel) anyway the carnosaur follows up but the Saurus roll a 3 and don't really.

The Troglodon casts hammerhands! Along with the hex that takes down their toughness the trog easily wins combat. They GG. The Trog has taken a wound and does not follow up, wanting to deprive them of their extra rank and spears.

The skinks roll well and kill the shaman with their javelins.

Turn 4 - him
    20240628_210730.jpg

The black orcs lose and flee and the carnosaur catches them. The Troglodon takes a wound and loses combat and GG

Amusingly this entire time one fanatic keeps going back and forth through the goblin unit killing more than the trog can hope to. Of course there are plenty more where that came from!

Turn 5 - me
    20240628_211934.jpg
    Not much here but the trog is left on one wound. No hammerhands means no chance of winning combat.

Turn 6 - him
    He kills the Troglodon. That night goblin unit is all that is left. It is a 784 VP win to the Lizardmen

Why did we win?
    It definitely was close early on, I felt he was winning early. Luck wise I probably hd a small amount more with shooting of the skinks, maybe combat. His magic dominated me all game - and I was level 4 to his 3!

I think his set up was better, tactics were better. It all came down.to one thing - scarvet on a carnosaur. It killed the general, it killed the black orcs, it finished the boar Boyz. It took a wound for the game. If we had of kept playing (we didn't bother rolling for OT) I think it would have taken down the goblin unit. (I will say that he had that first strike st10 item he wished he could have thrown at the carnosaur)

Also - the carnosaur did lose combat at the start a few times. So a lot came down to break tests.

The scenario made it hard for me to work my skinks tricks but equally the carnosaur was nearly always in combat.

Lastly - the carnosaur FBIGO instead of GG may have been a turning moment as we no longer had the Boyz in the rear. It's true that there was one.left and odds are the carnosaur would kill it but it's a shame TOW works this way.

Lessons
    - necromancy is a joke. I am trying trying TRYING to make it work but clearly elementalism and high are better.
    - I am not certain the Slann is worth the points at 1500.
    - maybe don't put a unit 2 inches from a night goblin unit from now on...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2024 at 5:38 AM
    BeardedLizard likes this.
  2. BeardedLizard
    Saurus

BeardedLizard Member

Cool battle report! Looked like a close game that could've went either way until T4 (Black orcs getting sandwiched).

discomute likes this.
  3. discomute
    Troglodon

discomute Well-Known Member

Yeah. He was banking a lot on the black orcs getting through the Saurus in one shot. I think it was the right call though as he basically couldn't hurt the (ws5, t6, 5+5+ unmod) monster. That scenario also meant he couldn't drive it off the board and the BSB meant any sudden break was unlikely.