1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. 1500pt vs Bretonnia

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Ersh, May 29, 2014.

1. Ersh
    Cold One

Ersh Active Member

Army Lists:

Lizardmens:
    Saurus Oldblood: Cold One, Dawnstone, Glittering Scales, Great Weapon, The Other Trickster's Shard
    Sarus Scar-Veteran, Armor of Destiny, Battle standard, Cold One, Great Weapon
    Skink Priest Lvl2, Lore of the Beasts
    Skink Priest Lvl1, Lore of the Beasts

Saurus Warriors x25, FC
    Skink Skirmishers x10
    Skink Skirmishers x10

Bastilidon, Solar Engine
    Stegadon, Sharpened Horns
    Salamander, Additional Handler

Bretonnians:
    Bretonnian Lord: Knight’s Vow, Warhorse, Virtue of Heroism, Sword of Bloodshed, Shield
    Damsel: Prayer Icon of Quenelles, Lv 2, Lore of Beasts
    Paladin: Knight’s Vow, BSB, Warhorse, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone, Biting Blade
    Paladin: Knight’s Vow, Gromril Great Helm, Warhorse, Shield, Lance

Knights of the Realm x10, FC, War Banner
    Knights of the Realm x11, FC
    Men-At-Arms x39, Halbeards, FC
    Peasant Bowmen x20

Deployment

There were 2 towers on the battlefield - one closer to the center of my side, and another - on the enemy side left to me. Also, there were a river at the left side, that flows "vertically" .
    I placed 2 Skink Skirmishers and Salamander at the left side, near the river. Stegadon was placed near the tower. At the right of him - block of Saurus with my BSB and General, and Bastilladon near them. One Skink Priest was right behind the Saurus, and second - behind the Skinks, near the tower.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-T06uDluhYWQ/U4bHa_ojx5I/AAAAAAAACec/bsNcDMmp_7k/w962-h541-no/DSC_0518.JPG

Turn 1

Bretonnians as always started to pray to the Lady of the Lake. So, i moved my Skinks and Salamander up the flow of the river, using the aquatic rule of that guys. Skink on Stegadon aimed from Giant Bow... and missed.
    Beam of Chotec from Bastilladon was dispelled (it was dispelled ALL the time in this game), but imo it was "ok".
    Other Skink unit with Priest took the tower. Skink Priest casted AoE Pann's Impenetrable Pelt with irresistable... And miscast massacred almost everyone in tower. Only 3 skinks left and Priest got wound.
    Such a bad start for this game.

Turn 2

Bretonnians Bowmens took the tower on their side and started to fire at my Salamander - wounded it. Peasants with Damsel moved forward, at my tower direction. Both "Lances" of Bret's cavalry moved to save distance to my Saurus block at right flank and prepared to strike.
    Skinks in the river lazy shot at the infantry.
    Salamader showed her head from the water and blowed fire to some peasants and Damsel... Killed only 2 or 3... What can i do vs that ward saves? =/
    Skink on Stegadon closed his eyes and shot from giant bow at the cavalry... Bret's BSB got one wound!

Turn 3

Bretonnians Men-at-arms (peasants i mean) with Damsel charged my Salamander and killed her =( The only joy - some of them simply drowned.

And (drumroll) both Bretonnian "Lances" - with general, paladin and BSB striked my Saurus. General made a challenge. So, it was one of the game-breaking moments. General had killing blow, so i not venture to take a challenge with my BSB or Old Blood, so my saurus champion accepted it. It was massacre on both sides.
    Heavy brets lanced penetrated 5 or 6 sauruses, but in response surus killed a few knight, and my Old Blood (thanks to the right placing and Other Trickster's Shard) helped to build on the success - needless to say, my opponent was rolling Ward Save like a God? But, reroll usually negated even his luck. And i killed his BSB! Wow!
    Still - the true hero of that round was my saurus champion - he dogged and made saves from ALL 7 attacks of bret's General. According to the results of this massacre i lost combat by 1 point, and easily rolled it.

Now it's my turn - Skink Priest casted Wildform on Saurus block. Stegadon and Bastlladon charged to the flanks. My opponent failed fear and terror tests, so it allowed me to kill more. THe Bret's cavalry "Lances" was decreased in numbers to 3-4 units and they run away. As always, i failed to catch them.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Ub9LrR05b-g/U4bHpy_gRiI/AAAAAAAACfw/NwIjH-8u5jo/w304-h541-no/DSC_0525.JPG

Turn 4

Men-at-arms stormed my tower and kill skinks and Priest there.
    Bret's general stopped the panic, and prepared the counter-attack.
    Archers killed 1 or 2 skinks in the water.
    Other things were not so good - Damsel's Amber Spear killed 4 saurus. But - tower were indeed damned - same miscast as i got there with my Priest. So, almost everyone of bret's in the tower became cold meat.

Stegadon and Bastilladon failed charge the bret's general. And Saurus block was forced to stay at the tower and sturm it. They did it easily. Damsel was slayed.

Turn 5

Bret's General charged my stegadon... And at that moment i realised how much i failed - General had not just a killing blow, but a _heroic_ killing blow. And 7 attacks... So, Stegadon was slain. Next - General overcharged to my Bastilladon - and beheaded him too...
    Other Lance remains that already stopped panic charged my "waterfowl" skinks - skinks got some casualties and ran away in fear.

I decided, that i do not want to be a target for bret's archers (needed 2+ turns simply to got to them) and had no chances to catch Bret's cavalry remains - so i stayed behind my tower.

Turn 6

Bret's decided same thing - so we look to each other with hatred, and my Old Blood started to make a totem from enemy BSB head.

Victory to Lizardmen!

Debriefing:

Saurus are nice guys! Just do not force them to do hard tasks. They really shine vs other core unis.

Bastilladon - totally worth of his points. His beam make people suffer ...or just remove diced from enemy dispell pool.

Other Trickster's shard - it was conceived vs daemons and other grimm ward save creatures, but with infernal luck of my opponent with permanently rolling 6s - it made the part of the victory!

Skinks Skirmishers in the water - awesome for the shooting duels and just staying under the fire.

Stegadon - his charge is really devastating. But Giand Bow have a small problem - it must be shooted by a casual skink.. And he is such a muff

Salamander - again almost useless. What am i doing wrong? =(

And the most valuable lesson - u must be ready for a devastating miscast. Place the mages in the way, that will not obliterate your own forced. (now i will think twice about Slann + Temple Guards in the future).

Kssa-Khar dismounted from his Cold One and glanced at his new trophey - new and shining skull of the noble bretonnian knight. This small victory is only a beginning. Prophecy must be fulfilled!