1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 1K Battle Report Koatl's Claw vs Orruk IronJawz 3.0

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Margawt, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Margawt
    Skink

Margawt New Member

Battle Plan: Savage Gains

Seraphon (Koatl's Claw): 1k points (1 Scar-vet on Carnosaur/warspear (Artifact of power: Eviscerating blade, General Command trait: Dominant Predator), 1 Bastiladon (solar engine), 1 Skink Starpriest-Hand of Glory, 1 Priest-Heal prayer, 1 Salamander hunting pack and 2 units of 5 Saurus Knights w/warspears. Grand Strategy: Beast Master. No Triumph, I had 1k points even.

IronJawz: 985 points (5 Ard boys, 5 Orruk Brutes, 1 MegaBoss, 1 Warchanter, 1 Weirdnob Shaman, 2 units of 3 Gore-Gruntas). Grand Strategy: Hold the Line. He had the Triumph: Indomitable

Set-up positions below:

IMG_0444.JPG

Turn 1 Koatl's Claw: I won roll off and choose to be the Attacker and taking the First turn because I had a Battle Regiment for my whole army (1 Drop). The Orruk's had a Battle Regiment as well, but I rolled a "6" to his "1". That was a crucial roll because Turn 3 we both rolled a "3" for Priority (a Tie, and you know what that means). Hint: It's always best to take the First round when you can, never give it away because if you keep winning Priority every round thereafter, you will always win the Ties that pop up like what happened to me this game. We both failed Heroic Leadership, Realmshaper chipped damage on the Brutes doing 2 damage. I choose "Ferocious Advance" for my Battle Tactic and moved out the Salamander, Scar-vet and my unit of 5 screen Knights to take the Center objective near me on the Left side. The Skink Starpriest moved out to support the Carnosaur and Knights as they moved to flanking positions as support. The Bastiladon (fired on the Warchanter doing 4 damage), powered by the skink priest, he stayed near (wholly within 12") the Realmshaper to protect the priest (stayed in the Realmshaper the whole game) and fire on Incoming Orruk's. The other unit of 5 screen Knights (with Mystic Shield and a Bless on them) moved out to take the other objective in the Center Right side. I achieved 5 Victory Points (1 for my Prime (Border), 2 for owning an Objective outside my border and 2 for achieving my battle tactic).

Turn 1 IronJawz: Battle Tactic: "Ferocious Advance" for his Three Hero's to run right up by a piece of Terrain and be within 3" of each other. Heroic recovery worked and healed 1 wound on Warchanter, I did Heroic Leadership and failed. He teleported 3 Gore-Gruntas 9" beside my Realmshaper and Bastiladon, moved up with his other 3 Gore-Gruntas but came up short of taking the Center Right side Objective by and Inch. The Other 3 Gore-Gruntas failed the their charge later in the turn to move on the Bastiladon or the Realmshaper. He moved his Ard boys to the right and moved the Brutes up to face my Knights and Carnosaur. He scored 3 Victory points (One for his border, Two for his Battle Tactic).

Turn 2 Koatl's Claw
    : I won the Priority "4" to his "2". I went First again. Realmshaper chipped damage on The Brutes for 1 damage, removing one model and did 2 mortals on the Megaboss and none on the other two hero's nearby. Heroic Leadership failed again for me. He healed his Warchanter to full with Heroic recovery. I choose "Aggressive Expansion" for my Battle Tactics. The pic below is the end of my charge turn.
    IMG_0445.JPG
    The pic below is of the Gore-Grunter's that teleported in on my Right and after the Knights charged them, taking two out, I rolled really good with my warspears on the charge the last one standing had one wound left on it. The Salamander caught the attention of the Brutes when it killed a wounded one and another with three out of four fireballs hitting them. The Carnosaur finished off the Brutes (but not before taking two wounds from their attacks because I let them attack me while I went with my 5 Knights against the Gore-Gruntas for my first attack of the Combat phase), and gained Frenzy. I Scored another 5 Victory points this turn (Two for my Battle Tactic, Two for controlling an objective in the Center and One for my border. I have 10 Victory points so far, so good.
    IMG_0446.JPG

Turn 2 IronJawz: Battle Tactic: "Conquer". I was able to unbind his spell he cast, can't remember what it was. He moved the 3 Gore-Gruntas over to position themselves to charge my Salamander ( I knew i moved him too close to the fight and rolled too good to attract attention, but I took a gamble.) He moved his General to charge my Knights and his Ard boys to Charge my Scar-Vet. He moved his Warchanter and Shaman 3" away from the Terrain (lol, love that Realmshaper). He made all his charges and killed my Salamander Hunting pack with all 3 Gore-Gruntas and 1 Knight killed and put one wound on another by the Megaboss. My four remaining Knights pile in on the General and have the Serpent staff ability on them and I rolled 4 Sixes on my wound rolls and other damage on the Megaboss removed him from play early in the game. He killed a Knight by rolling some sixes for making his saves. The Ard boys charged the Scar-Vet General and did Two wounds on him then the General almost finished off the Ard boys (mostly with the Eviscerating Artefact spear attacks, I rolled 2 sixes (4 auto mortal wounds) out of 7 attacks with the warspear with the Great Drake in affect for this round then whiffed most of the rest of my attacks badly), there was 1 Ard boy left and he used his Triumph later to avoid battleshock for him (I used my monstrous Stomp ability at the end of the charge and failed, rolling a "1"). The One Gore-Gruntas by the Realmshaper met his end in this turn of combat, he did one damage on one of the 5 Knights. He scored 5 Victory points for his turn (One for his Border, Two for the Center Left because he has removed too many of my Knights and the Salamander Hunting pack from the area for it to be mine any longer and Two for his Battle Tactic). The score is now 10-8 Seraphon.

The pic below was posted to our website from my opponent's perspective. He titled it "The Moment before disaster". Those poor Ard boys, charging into imminent death...lol.
    IMG_0450.JPG

Turn 3 Koatl's Claw: This Turn we both rolled "3's" for the Priority and because I went first last Turn I got to choose, I choose that I would go again. He burned the Center Right Objective as it was his right to do so if he wanted as he was the second player to go in Turn 3 in the Realm of Ghur rules. I went with the Battle Tactic of "Monstrous Takeover" An easy Tactic since I had my Bastiladon already contesting the Objective on my Border it was good one to use to get an easy 2 VP. I moved the Bastiladon closer to the front of the Realmshaper and the remaining 5 Knights closer the Center Left Objective. I moved the Skink Starpriest behind the Carnosaur. The Bastiladon fires on the two Gore-Gruntas that killed the Salamander that was contesting the Objective in Center Left in the shooting phase doing two damage. I used Heroic Recovery and healed Two wounds on my General. The Scar-Vet finished off the last Ard boy in melee combat. I scored 3 Victory points (One for my Border and Two for my Battle Tactic).

Turn 3 IronJawz: Battle Tactic: "Aggressive Expansion" His Heroic action was for Leadership, successful, I did Heroic Recovery for my General and failed. He failed to cast a spell. He moved his Shaman and Warchanter closer to their Gore-Gruntas to help in contesting the Center Left Objective. The Gore-Gruntas killed Two of my remaining three Knights, leaving the Champion, The Champion returned three wounds to the Gore-Gruntas leaving One remaining. He gained 5 Victory Points (One for his Border, Two for the Center Left and Two for his Battle Tactic). The Score is now 13-13.

Turn 4 IronJawz: Priority roll, He rolls a "4", I rolled a "3". He goes. Battle Tactic: "Bring it down" (My General) He casts some spell that gets off and does 2 Mortal wounds to my Scar-Vet bringing him down to 8 wounds left. He moves his Warchanter close enough to charge my Skink starpriest and the Weirdnob back towards his Border Objective. The Gore-Gruntas finishes off the Knight Champion and the Warchanter charged the Skink Starpriest, The Skink starpriest did One damage to the Warchanter, he in turn took Two damage back from the Warchanter. He scores 3 Victory points (One for his Border, Two for the Center Left Objective).

Turn 4 Koatl's Claw: My Battle Tactic this round is going to be "Conquer", I picked his Prime Objective on his border, since it was wide open (instead of charging his Weirdnob, I decided to run towards the Prime Objective and get 4 Victory points). I moved the Bastiladon and the remaining Knights towards the Center Left Objective. The Bastiladon finishes off the Gore-Gruntas at the Center Left Objective in the Shooting phase. The Skink Starpriest does One damage to the Warchanter. The Warchanter does One damage to the Starpriest, leaving him with 2 wounds left. I gain 7 Victory points (One for my Border, Two for my Battle Tactic, Four for the enemy's Prime Objective.) The score is now Seraphon 20-16.

The pic below is at the end of Turn 4:
    IMG_0447.JPG

Turn 5 IronJawz: He won priority "5" to my Roll of "2". He went first, Battle Tactic: "Slay the Warlord".
    He rolled for Heroic Leadership and made it. I rolled for Heroic healing and failed again. His Weirdnob Shaman casts that spell again and got it off doing 2 more mortals on my General bringing him down to 6 wounds left. He moved the Weirdnob into charge position on my Scar-Vet General. He made his charge and did no damage on my general, The Carnosaur ate the Weirdnob for lunch (I used a CP for Feral Roar). He also did no damage on the Skink Starpriest, the Skink Starpriest did no damage on the Warchanter. He scored 2 Victory points (Two for the Center Left Objective).

Turn 5 Koatl's Claw: I choose the Battle Tactic: "Savage Spearhead" (needing to get two of my units fully into the Orruk starting zone I had to move the Scar vet back 5 Inches and Retreated the Skink Starpriest 8 inches back into his zone, which I did). I did Heroic Recovery and healed Two wounds. The Bastiladon did a "On the Double" from the Priest in the Realmshaper and got within range to contest the Center Left Objective. Game Over. I score 9 Victory points (One for my Border, Two for my Battle Tactic, Four for their Prime Objective, Two for the Center Left Objective). Total Score: With my Grand Strategy successful I added +3 more VP for a Seraphon 32-18 Major Victory!

It was close and fun game, I pulled away in the end. I hope you enjoyed this Battle Report.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    Lizerd and Cuetzpal Pilli like this.
  2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I would say the opposite (apart from particular scenarios)
    Especially if the opponent cannot really damage you in its first turn, as you know that you will be the first one to take double turn.

Lizerd and Margawt like this.