8th Ed. 2 more questions: deployment and cracks call on a slann

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Pvthudson01, May 2, 2012.

1. Pvthudson01
    Skink

Pvthudson01 New Member

1) Ok chameleon skinks. They CAN deploy in the open anywhere on the board as long as they are 12 inches away from the enemy. I believe the book says: MORE THAN 12

Does that then imply that on turn 1 they would be out of range if they dont move at least one inch in?

2) If a slann is in a Temple Guard unit and gets hit with Cracks Call....anything to save him? Or does he just suffer like the rest

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

If the chameleons do not move, they will be exactly at 12 inches. They could still shoot, but at long range.

I believe the slann gets a look out sir against Cracks call because it is treated as a straight line like a cannon ball shot. If I am wrong, the slann would still get the 4+ ward save though.

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

depends weather you round up or round down... 12".

4. Kharn The Betrayer
    Razordon

Kharn The Betrayer New Member

Depending what tour shooting at I usually just march up and suffer that -1

5. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

If you line up "exactly" 12inchs away from the model there wouldn't be any rounding would there?

6. Kharn The Betrayer
    Razordon

Kharn The Betrayer New Member

Even then you'd still suffer long range right?

7. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

Long range for sure.
    But if you have to move one inch to be in range and then be long range that'd be even worse.
    Not that it matter, no set of circumstances puts you past 6's to hit which is what your mainly going for anyways and why chamo skinks are the shit.

I only wish they had the gutter runner rules to come on from the back side as reserves on a 4+. Now that would be sweet.

8. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

As per the CRB, page 79, the rules for scouts require that they set up "more than 12" away from the enemy." That being the case, chameleons must move in order to shoot on turn 1 but since they can march and shoot, they will be hitting on 5's anyhow - and praying for 6s :D

Crack's call is a template attack (confirmed by the skaven FAQ) and thus the slaan gets a look out sir roll if there are 5 or more rank and file TG in the unit. The issue of whether or not he would be granted a ward save if he fails the "look out, sir" and subsequent initiative test is somewhat foggy however. The spell indicates that any model failing the initiative test is removed as a casualty but does not explicitly state that no saves of any kind are allowed. My personal experience is that no saves are allowed, included armour and/or ward saves, but others may have different experiences/interpretations.

9. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

I don't know the wording of Crack's Call, but page 44 of the basic rules makes it clear that you do not get a Ward Save if the model is killed by a special attack that does not do wounds.

10. Pvthudson01
    Skink

Pvthudson01 New Member

11. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

It is a template in the form of a long line. Anything under the line must test so yes, it is possible for the Slaan to get hit by it if he is in the 2nd rank. However, as already noted, he would get a look our, sir roll to avoid the attack and then, if he failed, would have to do the initiative test.

@MI Tiger: Thanks for the reference, I was pretty sure it existed but couldn't find it myself.

12. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

If the spell does not specifically say no saves allowed, then the slann gets his ward save.

13. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

Read the reference MI Tiger listed on page 44, under "Instant Kills". That coupled with Crack's call wording will result in no Slaan save. Given he will have already failed a look out sir and his initiative test however, it is just one of the those days when the dice gods are against you :D