1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. 2000pts Lizardmen list to take on High Elves

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by Explodingzeb, Aug 31, 2022.

1. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Explodingzeb Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have a game of 8th Edition scheduled for this weekend against a friends High Elves. I'm not sure for certain what he will be be bringing but I think there will be at least 1 unit of Sword Masters, 1 unit of Phoenix Guard and a Frostheart Phoenix.

Any tips for fighting High Elves or thoughts about my list are welcome :)

This is the list I'm thinking of:

Lords:
    Slann Mage Priest
    -BSB (Standard of Discipline)
    -Focus of Mystery (Loremaster High Magic)

Heroes:
    Scar-Veteran
    - Great Weapon, Light Armour, Dawnstone, Dragonhelm
    - Mounted on Cold One

Skink Priest
    - Dispel Scroll
    - Lore of Beasts (not sure which Lore would be best here)

Core:
    35 Saurus Warriors with Spears
    - Standard Bearer and Musician

10 Skink Skirmishers
    - Javelins and Shields

10 Skink Skirmishers
    - Javelins and Shields

Special:

Stegadon
    - Sharpened Horns
    - Unstoppable Stampede

26 Temple Guard
    - Champion, Standard Bearer, Musician
    - Razor Standard

Rare:

Salamander Hunting Pack

Salamander Hunting Pack

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    Lizards of Renown likes this.
  2. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

First thought is Harmonic Convergence on the Slann as you're definitely gonna get hit with spells.

And Ancient Steg as that Giant Bow isn't going to do anything for you.

Let me think about this a bit more.

BrotherSutek and Explodingzeb like this.
  3. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

I've come up with some possible changes.
    • Swap the Steg to and Ancient Steg and remove the upgrades.
    • Drop the Razor Standard from the TG to pay for Harmonic Convergence and Channeling Staff for the Slann.
    • Spend the last few points on 1 more Saurus and an extra handler for one of the Sallies.

4. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Do you think its worth trying to squeeze some pints to fit an EotG on the Ancient Steg?

Or if I stick with the standard Ancient Steg, should I cut that 1 extra Saurus and Salamander handler for The Other Trickster's Shard on my Cowboy ?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  5. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Because EotG is really only best utilized when you are playing one of the 8 lores of Battle Magic, I would say no. 6+ ward save isn't really that much to talk about and with the Elf toughness 3, your Giant Blowpipes will have a decent chance of doing some damage even without Poisoned Attacks coming into play.

I would say better to give the Cowboy a ward save of some kind. The 4++ amulet for instance. Or the heavy armour with a 4++. You don't have a bus for him, so he's going to be receiving a LOT of arrows and magical attacks.

Salamanders are good for elves (S4 against T3).

I would skip the Skink Priest and use the points elsewhere. HE dispels are going to be at Level 4 so you're unlikely to get off any spells with him.

You want something that can do some War Machine hunting in addition to the Skirmishers. Probably a Terradon unit to draw fire away from the Saurus/TG units.

Those are my thoughts.

May the Old Ones be with you!

Explodingzeb and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  6. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

I decided to stick mostly with the list above, just swapped the Steg for an Ancient Steg really. I wanted to okay with all painted models so went with what was finished.

I pulled off a win luckily. My freind brought an unconventional High Elf list with only one Level 4 caster and no shooting. Lots of heavy infantry and a Frostheart Phoenix.

I'm glad I stuck with the Skink Priest, his dispel scroll came in very handy. Everything performed well apart from the Saurus unit and the Cowboy.
    The saurus rolled terribly on both attack and defence. The Cowboy managed to very slightly lose combat against some Spearmen and against all odds, ran away and was caught and killed. I did mess up with the Cowboy in deployment but he still vastly underperformed.
    Stegadon, Sallies and Slann/Temple Guard were great.

7. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I totally agree with this change. The baby Steg's Giant Bow is probably one of the worst thought out ideas for Lizardmen IMO. Plus I will always take the +1S of Ancient Steg over the +1 attack of the Baby Steg. They are both WS3 and I want to maximize my impact hits and thunderstomping.

Well done! The Old Ones rejoice!

How did he do on magic? You could have given the Slann the Dispel scroll tbh.

Fair enough. Does happen. You have to watch the single character combats against units with Standards, Musicians and rank bonus. If it's a decent sized unit, you have to cause 4 wounds just to tie with the unit that has to do nothing. He's best as a flank charge, character killer and to kill units without rank bonus.

Ancient Steg and Slann/TG are pretty much auto-includes for me. Sallies are great for low toughness armies like Elves.

Explodingzeb likes this.
  8. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Unfortunately you can't take the Channeling Staff on your Slann if you give him the Dispel Scroll. Harmonic Convergence + Channeling Staff payed off big time, I was rolling hot on channeling. The Priest rolled Amber Spear as his spell and I decided to keep it to try and snipe some wounds onto the Phoenix. He only got to cast it once and it was dispelled unfortunately. In hindsight I should have swapped it for Wyssans.
    The Slann did good with magic though. Destroyed almost a whole unit of White Lions with Fiery Convocation and got some buffs off on the TG mostly.

I definitely need more practice with the Cowboy, and will make sure to deploy him in a better spot next time.

Would be nice to get some more army options painted too. I'm currently building a Bastiladon, then I might build some Terradons and another Stegadon.

9. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Very true.

It's a great choice and effective given are that the odds are with you to get at least one extra dice per turn.

Yeah, well Warhammer is literally THE game where hindsight can ruin you afterwards ;)

BLAMMO!!!! Love hearing about the elves getting destroyed. [Sorry, did I say that out loud?]

You just have to remember not to charge ranked up units by himself. Otherwise, he would have done fine. He's fast enough that it doesn't matter if he's a little out of position since he can march 14" which is not to be sniffed at.

NIGHTBRINGER and Explodingzeb like this.
  10. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

It was a fun game. I hadn't managed to play for a long time and it felt good to get to actually use my minis. Can't wait for the next one with the lessons I learned!

11. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

Very cool, what was the end result? I bet the sallies were good? Wyssans is indeed always great against Elves, wounding on 2s with Sauri is great, and T5 is nice as well as always.

Explodingzeb likes this.
  12. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

We called the game at the end of Turn 5 with me having killed all but his Frostheart Phoenix which had a couple of wounds left.
    The Sallies were great, deleted a lot of spearmen and some Phoenix Guard. I'll definitely take Wyssans next time, even if it's just to counter the -1 strength from the Phoenix.

airjamy and Lizards of Renown like this.
  13. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Awesome!!! Well done mate!

HE are a top tier army so a win there is beating the odds! Nice one.

Explodingzeb likes this.