1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 20mm round bases for Skinks??

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by MrPampers, Jul 17, 2021.

Tags:
  1. MrPampers
    Skink

MrPampers Member

Hi, I haven´t been around for a while (just time drains almost unnoticed). I recently purchased square bases for Seraphon skinks since the official 25mm round ones were too big for my aesthetic taste. However, I realized that many miniatures end based on diagonal positions over the squares, which I don´t feel comfortable with for the same reasons.

So I just discovered that plastic and slotted 20mm rounds exist in some eBay web stores. If I´m estimating well that would be small enough to fit in trays for rank and file games but will let me pose the little lizards always facing straight for my aesthetic preference.

I compared the size of a local coin with 21mm of diameter, with an armless skink, and seems to fit by a small margin.

Also, I have been wondering about basing the Temple Guard in the 25mm rounds that come with the AoS skinks but haven´t made any testing.

So my question is: If I don´t mind having less room for base decoration, would the skinks fit well?? Have you seen examples?
    Thanks in advance!!

EDIT: Paragraphs.

Dread Saurian likes this.
  2. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Acehilator Well-Known Member

If you plan on actually playing with your models and not only collect/paint them, I'd advise sticking to official base sizes.

Dread Saurian and MrPampers like this.
  3. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

well most people actually plan to use their skinks so no i have not seen any one put theirs on 20s

4. MrPampers
    Skink

MrPampers Member

My idea is to magnetize the bases so I could put them on the top of temporary 25mm official bases in case of using them for AoS. The increase in height is not supposed to be that significant. But as I said, I can be a bit obsessive when I don´t get the right "feeling" bout a specific basing system.

5. MrPampers
    Skink

MrPampers Member

I thought that in case of being needed, I can magnetize them to official base´s sizes.

6. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

sounds tedious but if you want to go for it.

Dread Saurian likes this.
  7. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

im kinda with the lads here i find your idea to use 20 mm based for skinks to be a bit of a fruitless effort but if you got a group of friends that don give a shit you can have a blast with em

8. exwhyzero
    Saurus

exwhyzero Member

I'm also with everyone else. If you plan on playing games with them having the models on smaller bases will give you an advantage especially with the new 1inch coherence rules, plus the ability to get more models in a combat etc.

Also having 25mm bases on the skinks will make them more stable and balanced.

MrPampers and Noxolotl like this.
  9. MrPampers
    Skink

MrPampers Member

Sorry for the delay, wasn´t expecting more replies for some reason.
    Yeah, I´m almost self-convinced to order the bases and of course will check how a single test one fits. Having to 20mm rounds on top of 25mm rounds as adaptation seems like an easier regret than regretting to glue them in 25mm and having to cut the whole thing away to return to a smaller base.
    Thanks and stay safe.

10. MrPampers
    Skink

MrPampers Member

Hi. Wasn´t expecting more answers to my post. Maybe I thought that could be kind of unpopular. My plan really was to add rare earth magnets to the bottom of 20mm rounds and then gluing magnetic sheet to a stock of 25mm rounds that I do own. So, unless for a couple of extra millimeters in height I could show a legit basing system.
    My main problem with going straight to 25mm rounds is that lots of plastics would be wasted if I don´t really click with AoS. I researched a bit and 25mm rounds means that I will not be able to use the minis in anything that is not skirmish.
    By the way, maybe I´m taking it too far and I´m not really a diagnosed person, but already show some traits of OCD on maters of symmetry colors, postures, and so on, just to explain why some silly details can make me unexpectedly uncomfortable. Basically, while some people welcome bigger bases to decorate; I feel like I´m not able to own or interact with the pieces because they are attached to a micro diorama.
    I know, weird as hell.