1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. 2400 HE versus NEW Dwarves

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Axiem, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Axiem
    Jungle Swarm

Axiem New Member

Hi everyone!

Had a casual game against the New Dwarves and decided to make both a written and Youtube battle report of the affair. While my Lizardmen didn't make it onto the field on this one, at least this will give those interested a feel as to what the new Dwarves can do. Hope you guys enjoy and if you make it through the video, I'd really appreciate some honest feedback!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YkxBo2K2LA

And if a picture report if that's more your thing:

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61675&start=30

Thanks!

Axiem

2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

3. Axiem
    Jungle Swarm

Axiem New Member

Thanks for the help there Scalenex (and sorry if a double post was created as a result of the link trouble).

Glad you enjoyed! Hopefully I'll a game up with the Lizards soon!

Axiem

4. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

It's all sorted out now. I have only been a moderator for about two weeks, so this is still exciting and new for me. You have the honor of having your duplicate post be the first post I ever deleted!

Glad to have you on the forum. I'm not big on video reports but some here are. Your photo-writing reports are well done. I hope we can expect to see some LM battle reports from you at some point.

5. Axiem
    Jungle Swarm

Axiem New Member

Of course! Lizards, Wood Elves, and High Elves are all likely to make their debut at some point. There are just so many skinks to paint still.... :)

Axiem

6. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

Could one ask for a guide on that wonderful table terrain?

I really like the modular pieces, and have considered doing something likewise myself!

I'm assuming it's foam, with paint, and some kind of grass like fibres, but i'd really love to see how one goes about making it in bulk, what paints to use, and what materials are good for it!

7. Sleboda
    Troglodon

Sleboda Active Member

Thanks for the report, Axiem.

I went over the the HE forum and read it. I don't want to join them, so I'll comment here on your question about preference.

Photo over video every...single...time.

I don't ever watch video reports. I like a photo and text much better. I can read them at the pub or in bed when the wife is asleep, or wherever. They also are more clear when done well. Which leads me to ...

Yes, they take 4 hours to make if you do them right. That's good! I get a lot out of the reports I (used to) make on the TK forums. A photo for each turn + one for deployment wth text overlays to mark the units. It takes time but it's worth it for the reader and yourself. It's good to actually reflect on the battle as you are writing it up, something that is glossed over and lost in video reports.

The only reason my reports on this forum are sans photos is that I am embarrassed by the fact that my army is not completely painted yet. Nothing against you, honest, but I, personally, don't feel right about even playing with unpainted models, let alone trying to present them in photos that are meant to clarify the action (and unpainted stuff is harder to make sense of than painted stuff when it comes to photos).

8. Axiem
    Jungle Swarm

Axiem New Member

I didn't make them myself, but had a friend of ours make them for us. He did an awesome job, but I don't know the exact specifics. I can ask for more detailed instructions and might be able to get you something to go from. I know he sprayed it all down, painted it with two different browns, and then sealed it before applying the grass. That way, the color doesn't fade or chip (that much) andthe grass doesn't get messed up from the sealant.

Noted. I'm gathering everyone's opinions and we'll see which ends up prevailing! More than likely, both versions will continue to be produced, at least in part, because I enjoyed the process!

I totally get that perspective; it's what's been keeping me from producing reports for so long. I thought about waiting until I was totally painted, but then in that case, I probably wouldn't even be done! This way, there's also a higher incentive to finish. Also, my normal games will likely have more of the fully finished units featured, whereas this game, being less competitive, I pulled out some of my less-used choices. It's a balancing act, between being pretty enough for viewing by the public versus never producing anything for the public. I've settled for a middle-ground.

Axiem