1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 2k Thunder Lizard/quake

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Drav-d, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Drav-d
    Jungle Swarm

Drav-d New Member

Hi there,
    I'm working on a Thunder Lizard list and I would like to get some feedback.

Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Constellation: Thunder Lizard

Leaders
    Stegadon with Skink Chief (250)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Prime Warbeast
    - Artefact: Cloak of Feathers
    - Weapon: Skystreak Bow

Lord Kroak (320)
    - Spell: Stellar Tempest
    Skink Priest (70)
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    - Artefact: Fusil of Conflaguration
    - Spell: Fiery Convocation

Battleline
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Boltspitters Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)
    10 x Skinks (60)
    10 x Skinks (60)
    10 x Skinks (60)

Units
    6 x Kroxigor (280)
    - 2x Moonhammers

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (220)
    - Weapon: Solar Engine
    Bastiladon (220)

Battalions
    Thunderquake Temple-host (150)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
    Bound The Burning Head (40)

Total: 1970 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 1
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 119

I added the Thunderquake to gain some speed, since we don't have teleport in Thunder Lizard. Or the extra attack if movement is no problem.
    I have skinks to have some bodies. First I had 1x 30 skinks and 2x 10 skinks and Celestial Harmony or it cost an CP. But the skinks are for board control/screening and having more smaller units is better I think.
    Kroxigor is to fight many models.
    Burning Head is for buffing Bastiladons or any other unit and possibly do a little mortal Wounds.

I still doubt about:
    -Stegadon vs Engine of the Gods.
    EotG feels like a gamble what you get from the table and a bit weaker in combat. On the other hand is only 3 bow attacks of the Stegadon to very steady. Or use the sunfire.
    -Burning Head vs Purple Sun

Any suggestions or comments on my list are appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    LizardWizard and Nart like this.
  2. NecridHydra
    Temple Guard

NecridHydra Well-Known Member

Are you sure you want to keep your Kroaq without a Guard?

I've done a similar list not long ago, check my Battle Report vs Tzeentch from last week.

Keep Krox very near a Skink unit, like a screen or something, to this sweet +1 to hit or reroll, I don't remeber. If you want Krox to crush infantry units, buy Moonhammers and place it on the middle. If not, you'll be loosing damage.

Skink Chief always. Primal Warbeast buffs the bow as well as Stegadon's melee profile.

Keep Burning head on a triangle-like position with your Bastiladons. They shoot 24", so that's plenty of your board. I can show you some photos if you want because you're not clear about this. And remember, Burning Head can move up to 9" I think, but it doesn't mean he must move that amount.

For extra movement, you can use Walk Between Realms with your Kroaq/Slann instead of Stellaf Tempest or the Command Ability (although you'll be saving them for double shooting and Skink Chief) to make Krox fly.

LizardWizard likes this.
  3. Drav-d
    Jungle Swarm

Drav-d New Member

I prefer the Kroak over slann: Celestial deliverance, 1 more cast/unbind, extra command point dice roll, extra aftersave.
    Maybe I should add the guards, but I'm not sure how to fit it in.

What is your experience with the starseer?

Forgot to put it on this list. I already wanted to add 2 Moonhammers.
    For some reason I thought the buf was only for melee.
    This is the idea! A photo with ideal setup would be nice.
    Starting with this spell could be a good idea. The first turn Stellar Tempest is probably not in range. However, the Tempest is also a thread area for the opponent.

LizardWizard likes this.
  4. NecridHydra
    Temple Guard

Lets, see if you like this list:

Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Constellation: Thunder Lizard

Leaders
    Lord Kroak (320)
    - Spell: Walk Between Realms
    Stegadon with Skink Chief (250)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Prime Warbeast
    - Artefact: Cloak of Feathers
    - Weapon: Skystreak Bow

Skink Starseer (140)
    - Artefact: Fusil of Conflaguration
    - Spell: Hand of Glory

Skink Priest (70)

Battleline
    5 x Saurus Guard (100)
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Meteoric Javelins Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)
    10 x Skinks (60)

Units
    6 x Kroxigor (280)
    - 2x Moonhammers

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (220)
    Bastiladon (220)

Battalions
    Thunderquake Temple-host (150)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
    Bound The Burning Head (40)

Total: 1970 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 1
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 110

I put the Starpriest away because, although giving his staff's buff is a good option, you're not increasing by a lot the damage on your Chief. Since your Skinks are objetives grabbers, you don't mind their Battleshock.

My experience with Starseer is fine. Allows you to reach a charge with units that doesn't have a wardrummer or are a high roll (9+) and you need that charge. The spell is very useful. A unit of Krox with this spell over the enemy is deadly. Against infantry, you'll be hitting like 10 enemies with the moonhammer; a unit of 3 near a Skink and the debuff on the enemy deals 16.56 wounds againts 4+ save. Keep in mind that Starseer is one of the few buffs (or rather debuff) you can give to a Krox unit to help them.

I'm adding a photo in TTS, since I don't own a Burning Head in real life, but the couple of games I've had with it, was fine. Just remember that you must deploy it wholly within your mage, so Saurus Guard will be bothering you for the deploy, keep that in mind and put them aside.

Yeah, remember that you change your spell at the end of your hero phase, just in case you predict no range for Stellar Tempest in your next turn. Neither Walk Between Realms and the CA gives an extra inch, but allows you to ignore terrain, it's not like a Cloak of Feathers.

The only thing I'll say to you is that you'll be tight as hell in CP

Attached Files:

LizardWizard likes this.
  5. Tav
    Kroxigor

Tav Well-Known Member

i like to have a skink priest as general to give a free +1 to hit without a command point, i don't find the +1 attack on a monster that useful.
    i have found the engine to be incredibly good, however you may struggle to find the CP to support it and the bastiladons.

LizardWizard likes this.
  6. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

I second priest general. Every single CP counts and free +1 to-hit is amazing - Basties really need it.

Why Fiery Convocation on Starpriest? It looks like a very meh spell. I'd take Hand of Glory over it for an additional reroll 1's to-hit. I struggle to fit all units in BTBH's aura, so I stick it to a single unit.

On saurus guard - I play without them and don't regret it. Clever positioning and Look Out is enough protection for Kroak. I even want my opponent to try and kill him, and they never succeed. but spend effort, instead of killing small heroes/monsters. Also, free points for triumps are essential, since we don't have many rerolls.

On engine vs chief - both are good and both have their place. Chief gives more consistent ranged damage and a bit more punch in melee and extra 10 points off. Engine provides healing, more mortals and and summoning, but random, also more wounds. I am a fan of EotG, but I'd say, try both and see which one fits better.

On spell - I don't see point in Purple Sun in seraphon army other than road block. You already have stellar tempest, if you want to chew through hordes.

On skinks - I run 40 in my thunderquake with starpriest casting celestial harmony on them every turn. I don't know, if 30 is worth it, but I don't like it on paper. If you want a skink blob - drop the Head and take 10 more and run full 40 with celestial harmony.

LizardWizard likes this.
  7. NecridHydra
    Temple Guard

I'd agree with you if the list weren't Thunder Lizard with a Skink Chief. I've seen this mf chew through units like Skavens through the Black Pyramid. You already have a Kroq+Starpriest, which is 2 CA/turn+ the one you get for free every turn, a battalion and you don't really have units that suffer battleshock. You need to kill 2 Krox for them to lose a third.

Giving a +1 to our Chief, although useful and welcome, won't change much the fact that he'll be doing 16W to 3+ Saves without it and 20 with it. That's killing an Alarielle (600 points). Against low armor armies (5+), like BoC or Goblins, from 27W to 32W, that's a unit every combat phase, only with his CA, Great Drake, Savage (battalion) and mount traits.

LizardWizard likes this.
  8. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

You are counting pure damage, but it is not always what game consists of. What if you face Lumineth and there's a Cathallar, which can shut down Chief as soon as it gets close to anything? What if you face cities of sigmar with several units, which has to be wiped out as soon as possible? What if Kroak don't throw a single additional CP in a critical turn? You never swim in CP in TQTH. If you have enough to double-tap bastiladons, you still want that +1 to-hit an all of your monsters. If you have enough CP for that, you may want to run 6", reroll chargre, reroll 1's to hit/saves. That free CA is a lifesaver.

If you need badly, you still can stack a lot of attacks on chief. But TQTH relies on bastiladons in the first place and their ability to remove dangerous targets from afar. I use my EOTG as a support, since it can be easily debuffed/roadblocked (even with fly) or simply too far away from critical target. Chief may suffer from the same problems.

LizardWizard likes this.