AoS 2k Thunderquake List - Bastiligattling

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Vallek, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Vallek
    Cold One

Vallek Member

Constellation
    Thunder Lizard

Leaders

Slann Starmaster - Great Rememberer; Itxi Grubs
    Skink Chief on Stegadon - Skystreak Bow; Fusil of Conflagration
    Skink Starpriest

Battleline
    20 Saurus Warriors - Spears
    20 Skinks - Boltspitter and Shield

Units
    12 Salamander Hunting Pack

Behemoths
    Bastilidon - Solar Engine

Battalions
    Thunderquake Temple-host - Skink on Stegadon, Both Bastilidons, and Salamander Hunting Pack

Command Points: 2
    Total: 2000/2000

This build is centered around the Thunderquake Temple-host, the Trove of Old One Technology Thunder Lizard command ability, and The Slann's/Star Priest's ability to pump out command points semi-regularly. Keep the Stegadon in the center, flanked by the Bastilidons, and all three screened by the Salamander Hunting Pack. The Saurus are the Slann's Personal guard and will help defend against deep strikes/teleports. The Skinks are flankers/objective holders. Tuck the Skink Starpriest behind the Stegadon and use it's staff ability each turn to buff the strongest Bastilidon.

In essence, you are trying to have two command points every turn to use Trove of the Old One Technology every turn on both Bastilidons to get them both to use their Solar Engine twice each turn. You will choose the "Swift" option from the Thunderquake so you can move more and get into range of targets.The Slann has three 50% chances each turn to generate more command points and the Starpriest has one 33% chance. With any luck you should reliably get 1-2 bonus command points a turn.

Alternatively, you could switch some points around and go with an Engine of the Gods instead of the Skink Chief on Stegadon. If luck is on your side it is amazing, if not then it is a ton of wasted points. I tend to go for the reliable option.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  2. Tav
    Kroxigor

Tav Well-Known Member

i would be very careful using a full pack of salamanders. they only have 5 bravery so if just 5 wounds go through to them you are losing D6 models.
    its definitely worth upgrading the slann to kroak if possible or at the very least add in 5 guards. if the slann goes, so does your CP for double shooting

3. Vallek
    Cold One

Vallek Member

I created a modified version of the list that should address some of the issues. Here it is.

Constellation
    Thunder Lizard

Leaders

Lord Kroak
    Skink Chief on Stegadon - Prime Warbeast; Skystreak Bow; Cloak of Feathers
    Skink Starpriest - Fusil of Conflagration

Battleline
    10 Saurus Guard

Units
    6 Kroxigor - 2 Moonhammers

Behemoths

Battalions
    Thunderquake Temple-host - Skink Chief on Stegadon, Both Bastilidons, and Kroxigor

Command Points: 1
    Total: 2000/2000

Same basic strategy, and since the Stegadon and Bastilidons both have the skink keyword they will boost the Kroxigor. I could drop the Saurus Guard to 5 then make room to purchase Bound Balewind Vortex and an Extra Command Point as another option.

Jason839 and Tav like this.
  4. Tav
    Kroxigor

Tav Well-Known Member

I think thats a solid list. Got some good shooting from stegadon and bastiladons. The kroxigor can go and hit whatever needs breaking.

5. Egres
    Ripperdactil

Egres Well-Known Member

Would a blob of 40 skinks be good?

Drop the guard to 5 and a unit of skinks to 10 and then bump the other skinks units to 40, and still have room for a BV ?!!

6. Vallek
    Cold One

Vallek Member

In my mind that would boil down to how many objectives you might anticipate being on the field. 3 or less and the 40 blob could work well. Stick the Starpriest with them and they should easily hold an objective. More than 3 and you may want to have the flexibility to throw two mid-sized groups out since they are the only units in the list with reasonable speed. That 10 skink unit won't get the benefits that 15+ units do so would serve as little more than charge blockers. You could stick them infront of the Kroxigor to either eat a charge that would otherwise hit them and set up a counter charge.. or if a charge fails just shift the skinks to the side and have the Kroxigor charge in while the skinks support with boltspitters. It is certainly an interesting trade-off.

7. Egres
    Ripperdactil

Egres Well-Known Member

Actually never thought about that that’s a good point, with more objectives more units will be better.

8. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

I would personally take the two units of 20 and make 4 units of 10z let's you screen a bit more and have a couple more units to capture objectives with. Seraphon won't win the drop race anyway so you don't really lose out adding two more units. Also the bravery factor comes in more with units of 20.

Tav likes this.
  9. Vallek
    Cold One

Vallek Member

Even if they become drastically less dangerous that way? 4 units of 10 will get 40 attacks total at full strength. 2 units of 20 will get 80 attacks at full strength and can even lose 5 wounds each before losing out on the doubled attacks. I was even thinking of modifying Egres' suggestion to go two units of 20 and 30 for a whopping 100 attacks at full strength.

Jason839 likes this.
  10. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

In thunderlizard thunder quake, your damage is coming from your monsters. I feel it's better to focus on protecting them and supporting them, than it is trying to get more damage out of your skinks.

Skinks usually, really aren't good at anything other than dying. They don't hit well or wound well. Where they shine is in Fangs of sotek, in max blocks of 40, where the entire list is dedicated to making them good. You have teleports, command abilities to over watch and retreat, poison for mortals on 6s, +1 to hits, bravery 10, etc. I'd recommend that style of list if you want to do damage with your skinks.

Tav likes this.
  11. Tav
    Kroxigor

Tav Well-Known Member

40 skinks shooting against a 4+ save do an average of 4.4 damage. compared to 2.2 if split into 10s. no matter how many there are, they are not a damage threat

12. Vallek
    Cold One

Vallek Member

Hmmm, if that is the case would it be a good idea to drop the BV and instead go with two units of 10 skinks and a unit of 10 Saurus Knights? That still gives us a fast moving unit and some screeners but also lets us take advantage of the fact both the rider and mount have Jaw attacks. Alternatively we could keep the BV and take three units of 10 skinks and a unit of 3 Terradon Riders. This would give us a unit to quickly contest an objective even if they are certainly not a real combat threat.

13. Tav
    Kroxigor

Tav Well-Known Member

The list ive been working on to utilise thunder lizard has a fair few knights. they work well for coalesced as they have 7 attacks per model. thats 45 in a unit of 5. excellent target for starpriest venom. i also take bound burning head to sit between the bastiladons to give them reroll 1s to hit.

As for the terradons, i find the chameleon skinks provide more since they can start off the board and drop down anywhere. no they are better to threaten objectives early and late.