1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS 30 model (only one monster and no wizards)

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Wazz, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

Hey everybody! So a local shop is doing a tournament this weekend with the Trials of the Oighear rules, I was thinking of using a Firelance Starhost (15 knights scarvet 16 total) Oldblood on Carno for my monster/general(17) Sunblood (18) Skink priest (19) 5 Chameleon skinks(24) 2 Salamanders (26) Oldblood (27) 3 Skink handlers (30). You get an Ice mage as your Wizard also. I'm only using the minimum of things bc it's all I have lol. I went Hero heavy mostly for the Oldblood on Carnos Command ability. The priest is there for (hopefully) extra survivability. As always the help/advice is appreciated!

Bowser likes this.
  2. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

The Ice Mage war scroll would probably help.

Attached Files:

3. nine7six
    Skink

nine7six New Member

I have the same tournament coming up aswell! not this weekend though and I'm trying to decide the same thing lol.

though I was thinking of replacing the oldblood on carnosaur with engine of the gods and having sunblood as general.

I thought the firelance starhost is the scar-veteran on carno/coldone not oldblood?

Wazz likes this.
  4. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

The fire lance is the scar vet on carno or cold one. Im using the vet on cold one just not as my commander. Ive been thinking about swapping the oldblood on carno for a Bastilladon but with what i have the hero guys getting 2 attacks on a wep is helpful especially for the sunblood and scarvet on cold one if he gets the extta set of attacks lol. Let me know what you decide! And good luck with building your army and the tournament

5. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

EotG is strong, but without a Slann or a Starseer, is not exactly what I'd recommend...

Bainbow likes this.
  6. nine7six
    Skink

nine7six New Member

I'm a very new player, what synergy does the Slan have with EOTG? Add 1 to cast rolls?

7. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

@nine7six Add 1 dice and discard one of your choice before adding them. Plus the plus one offered by sages staff. You would be better off stcking to a regular Stegadon and keeping it aggressive if you are going with a similar build to @Wazz

Wazz likes this.
  8. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

@Bowser thanks for the help! I might do a total 180 and drop the Firelance for Eternal and the Carno for a Bastilladon. Using the Ice mage as the commander and enjoy the ridiculous saves. You are allowed to bring as many models as you would like but are only allowed to use 30 at a time. So i may try both

Bowser, Crowsfoot and Ixt like this.
  9. nine7six
    Skink

nine7six New Member

I was thinking of the Eternal starhost as I prefer a defensive army, my current list is:

Eternal Starhost
    Eternity Warden
    15 Saurus Guard

2 Salamanders
    1 Skink Handler
    1 Skink Priest
    Oldblood on Carnosaur
    Sunblood
    5 Chameleons
    3 Ripperdactyls

The guard will be on a 2+ save with this build with re-rolls to save from the skink priest, aswell as extra attack from having eternity warden close.

I was thinking of replacing carno with engine of the gods but looks like it's not recommended without a slan but I also want a heavy hitter monster destroyer, there's talk of a scary ogre army.

I don't have an astrolish bearer but was thinking of replacing the 1 skink handler with this if I can find the model... that should give more re-rolls to hits.

Wazz, Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  10. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Yeah try both and lets us know how you do.

Wazz and Bowser like this.
  11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Ogres can be very nasty especially man eaters and stornhorn!

Wazz, Ixt and Bowser like this.
  12. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

If Ogres are in the picture, I recommend taking a Starpriest. Starlight will help dramatically against the Stonehorn (-1 to hit), especially if you can get 3 or more wounds on it early. Alternatively, have the camos pop out of hiding nearby and Starlight them for added wounds. Getting the battalion that allows your flyers to ambush would be very helpful. In any case, a model-count matchup seems to heavily favor Ogres...

13. nine7six
    Skink

nine7six New Member

the ice mage is the only wizard allowed :(

14. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

Wooooow that is a stacked match for ogres. :l

15. Killer Angel
    Slann

you I don't know...
    At this point, I'd probably try something totally different, ala Shadowstrike Starhost, picking the skink Priest (as he's not a wizard).
    Two units of 5 chama skinks, 3 ripper and the priest are 14 models.
    They'll give you the ability to assassinate almost anything, and the priest can always try to let reroll saves for some key units (namely the Oldblood on Carno, which is a great monster killer)

Wazz likes this.
  16. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

Yeah it does feel that way I believe someone at the store has ogres too :/ . I honestly want to use mine but I have their battalion box and thats it. The ice mages command ability is pretty nice +2 save for a unit and itself and can it can cast 2 spells. Oldblood on Carno is a good monster hunter @nine7six I'm also jealous of your rippers lol. Bastilladon with solar engine is pretty good all around especially if you're playing defensive ignores all rend can save mortal wounds and has great range (even though the attack anount is random) they also stay the same as they get wounded.

Blakksheep likes this.
  17. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

Rend is a pain for ogres too. Most have saves of 5 or 4, @nine7six you can try different builds too just 30 models at a time! It might help you don't want to build just to beat ogres amd then not play them!

18. Killer Angel
    Slann

Elaborating the idea.
    The shadowstrike starhost is 14 models, and the oldblood on carno is another one.
    This leaves you with 15 models.
    2 sallies with handler. x 2.
    An astrolith bearer.
    8 Kroxigor.

keep the block of Kroxi, flanked by the 2 units of sallies, that give a nice shooting and will weaken anyone that will try to move toward you block. Behind the kroxi, you'll have the BSB, so when they'll enter in melee, will reroll failed to hit (tnk to BSB) and 1s to wound (tnx to nearby skinks). Your general will eat dangerous, big foes (possibly staying within Proud Defiance's range).
    Leaving aside the astriloth bearer, your "deathstar with flamers" will also have move 8" which is really nice even if you want to play aggressively.

the shadowstrike will kill generals, icemages and problematic units, the chama will continue their work, harassing the enemy, the sallies will burn and weaken your target, and your melee units will finish the job.

Bowser and Wazz like this.
  19. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

The ice mages can be elusive tough save of 3+ (from command ability) and one of their spells lets them relocate 20" from their current position then move I'm almost thinking im going to save my chams for after i force their mage to relocate or for hammer and anvil-esk stuff lol. We can still shoot at units in combat right?

Bowser likes this.
  20. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use the Sunblood, the Astrolith Bearer will do his job far better in a defensive army and affects more than just Saurus. Not having the ability to take wizards is annoying because a large chunk of our power is in our wizards even removing the ability to cast magic because they have all our best abilities. Hm... you could also switch the Carnosaur for a Bastiladon, the Priest's rerolls to Save will help it very nicely, as will the rerolls To Hit from the Astrolith, and it'd save you 4 points which you could use to spend on another Salamander to help you bring down high armour targets and monsters with that insane Rend and Damage, and then use the one remaining Wound to buy a sixth Chameleon. Or use a Scar-Vet on a Carnosaur instead for the better Command Ability.

Bowser and Wazz like this.