1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. 3000 points Lizardmen vs Beasts of chaos

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Axolotl, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Axolotl
    Saurus

Axolotl New Member

I thought i give you guys a short overview over a battle i had this weekend.
    I write all this from my memories, so it might be incomplete ^^

My Army
    Oldblood on Carno, Piranha Blade, enchanted shield, Itzl, Quetzel, Sotek, LA

Slann, 2nd Gen, Diadem, PoTepok, Bane head

Skink shaman, lvl2, 2 Dispel dice, MArk of Quetzel

3 Terradons
    7 Cham skinks
    3 Kroxis
    3 Salas
    Stegadon
    6 CO Riders, Huanchi
    16 Saurus, Quetzel
    13 Skinks, spears, quetzel
    11 SKinks, spears, quetzel
    10 Skinks, Spears, Quetzel
    10 Skinks, Blowpipes, Quetzel, Scouts
    JSOD

What he got:
    Minotaur Lord, Black hammer
    3 Minotaurs MArk of Khorne
    3 Minotaurs Mark of Nurgle
    4 Dragon Ogres
    Chaos Giant
    3 Gor herdes with 20 guys in each
    2 chaos spawns of slaneesh
    4 shamans
    1 chieftain on chariot
    2 chariots
    8 Centigors

Round 1 and 2:
    Not much happened. He began, moved forward with everything exept one gor herd that went to engage my cham skinks wich deployed behind his lines. I shot a few magic missiles but killed only a few gors. My Salamanders Roasted a Chaos Spawn. My stegadon took a few wounds from the chieftains chariot. My scouting blowpipe skinks took the giant 2 wounds and were reduced to only one survivor by evil nurgle magic.

Round 4 and 4:
    My Terradons hit-and run attacked his centigors and killed a few. Stegadon and Kroxis sat back next to the saurus unit with the slann in it, ready to defend him from the oncoming dragon ogres. My Carno left the Co R unit and moved towards the minotaurs while my riders engaged the giant. the beast shouted and my riders fled. but he did not catch them. the lonely blowpipe skink manages to take 2 more wounds from him.
    my JSOD killed a chariot, overruniing from the table. Killed the chieftains chariot and then killed the guy with my salamanders, by that time i had lost all the handlers by rolling misfires. but they passed the ld test and stayed under my control. the chameleons ran away from the herd wich pursued it and fired at them, killing all but 5 before they got caught and slaughtered in battle. My terradons killed all butone centigor, but then the minotaur lord came in contact and devestated them. afterwards he did the same to the remaining salamanders, but they took 2 wounds from him.

Turns 5 and 6
    Almost all my skinks were magicked to death by now, only the single blowpipe guy stayed and shot the giant turn after turn. the single surviving centigor killed my shaman, the khorne minotaurs attacked my carnie, takim 3 wounds from him. he smashed back and killed two, overrunning the third. the other minotuar unit was reduced to one by magic. my JSOD got magicked to death, My carnie barely managed to survive with one wound after the last magic phase. The giant stomped on my 6 Cold One Riders, Killing all (!) of them.

Highlights:
    The single brave blowpipe skink that harrased the giant and blocked march moves for the entire game,
    the single surviving centigor wo killed my shaman, the salamanders killing his lord with their last shots before eating all the handlers. tha giant who killed the whole unit of cOR

What i didn't like:
    My magic was rather poor, and i did not have luck when rolling for spells. The giant's roll was extremely lucky to kill my 280 point unit in one turn.

in the end i had 250 or so victory points more than my opponent, a draw. My slanns unit, the kroxigors and the stegadon did not even see combat once. But on the other hand my opponents dragon ogres and his chieftain didn't either. It was a very good game with many ups and downs for both sides. It was really fun because it was so balanced, thats better than an easy victory or a game in which i have no chance.

2. SohCahToa
    Kroxigor

SohCahToa New Member

great battle.

I just had to ask this in the rare chance that it happened, but did the Steg. kill anything with his giant bow ( :rolleyes: unlikely as it is), as you seemed to be playing very defensive with it

3. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

Thanks for the report :)

Beasts can be tough, they can put out some really asty MSU lists.

It's just a shame that some of your units didn't see combat, it could've ben a different story if they had

4. Axolotl
    Saurus

Axolotl New Member

The Stagadon actually did some damage with its bow. It took 2 life or so from the beast chieftains chariot. and it hit the minotaurs 2 times, taking 1 wound with each hit. not the best result, but as you stated i play my steg very defensively. since i don't play temple guards i use it to charge the flank of whatever gets near my slanns saurus unit.

And yes, it might be good if more units would have seen combat. but on the other hand i was able to keep combat away from my slann for as long as possible (for the whole game, in fact) because these not-in-combat units were set up that if one got charged one of the others could get into the attackers flanks.

5. montaa
    Jungle Swarm

montaa New Member

Nice work against the Beasts. They happen to be the army I am fielding up until our local Campaign. I dont know if his minotaurs actually had the Marks you mentioned, but if they did his list is illegal. Minotaurs can either have the Mark of their Lord or be undivided. You might want to mention this to him.

It sounds like you handle the lizards with grace. I do have to ask, did you charge the Giant with the Cold Ones or did he get you?

6. SohCahToa
    Kroxigor

SohCahToa New Member

Couldnt the Minotaur lord conceivably have the mark of chaos undivided, meaning that his followers can have any mark?

7. Axolotl
    Saurus

Axolotl New Member

Thanks for the hint, I will mention the mark topic to the beasts player.

I charged the Giant with my COR. He did not have many wounds left at that point so i thought i'd give it a try...

8. Apollo3
    Skink

Apollo3 New Member

Yes it sounds like the doombull was undivided, however there are special rules for minotaurs that state they can either be undivided, or have the same mark as the general, which in this case was undivided. It's a stupid and pointless nerf on an already fairly weak army, but it is a rule.

9. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

Just wondering: Howcome your skinks and shaman got Blessed spawning of quetzl?
    Thats limited to saurus warriors and saurus characters. Or was the rules different then?
    Started playing again after a long break a few month ago...

10. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

He seems to have been using a sacred spawning list meaning everything in his army that can take it must, and in the case of skinks it includes them, also skink preiests use lore of metal instead of heavens.

11. doom_diver
    Cold One

doom_diver New Member

Lore Of Metal? God Damn......... I thought it was something else.

Anyways my only piece of advice would be to take a Dispell Scroll. It sounded that you should've deployed the Chameleon Skinks a little better but otherwise good game :)

12. Ninjaskink
    Cold One

Ninjaskink New Member

Actually, I'm sure that Spawning of Quetzl gets the Lore of Death. Tlazcotl gets Lore of Metal. I'd share the PDF if I could actually figure out how.

13. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

Where is these rules?!
    Pleas share!
    I only play the official rules, and they say: Skink Characters may take Sotek or Mark of Old Ones only.
    Skinks in general can't take spawnings, only Saurus Warriors and Heroes o_O

14. didleoman
    Chameleon Skink

didleoman New Member

sacred lists are official but since Games Workshop altered their site... its pretty impossible to find on the site now

15. doom_diver
    Cold One

doom_diver New Member

I thought it was Lore Of Shadow..... Puut I see how I could get confused. Just use the U.K site or Europe site.

16. Dalkarius
    Ripperdactil

Dalkarius New Member

Quetzl is Death, Tlazcotl is Metal, Huanchi is Shadow...

17. Ninjaskink
    Cold One

Ninjaskink New Member

I have the PDF, I just don't know where to put it so everyone else can access it. I pulled it from the UK page before they made it the online store with links to articles. Also, I did check that link and the sacred spawning rules are not there. If anyone knows where I can toss the PDF out for others to access, I'm open to suggestions. I'll make a new thread to share the spawning rules and which do what, though I'm unsure if I can post costs per spawning. I'll talk with Stonehamby to find out what's legal and what's not.

18. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

NInjaskink, ya I have the pdf also, let me know what stonehamby says

19. didleoman
    Chameleon Skink

didleoman New Member

i remember the first page of the online article and i believe the PDF as well says that its official and recommended to print that page and bring it with you if someone were to question it.

you could always turn it into a torrent, but i never made a torrent myself so....