7th Ed. 8th edition Calculations

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Fossil Hunter, May 7, 2010.

1. Fossil Hunter
    Skink

Fossil Hunter New Member

hey everyone,
    Sorry I havent been on in a while, Sorry old ones!
    I have a quick question regarding rules for 8th editon for some of you who have attempted to try and use the new army list building techniques. This is my question.

"What is the mathmatic formula to determine how much of the % rule to budget for your characters?"

I didnt know if theres a sophistic mathmatic problem used now to build up 8th edition lists. I know its too soon to be asking these question.

2. Skrox
    Cold One

Skrox New Member

The rumors are that you need at least 25% of your points in core units, and no more than 25% in characters. Details aren't clear yet if this will be the way the rules work. Several people said they thought mounts wouldn't count towards the 25% cap.

Hope that is sophistic enough for ya.

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Hmmm not really sure what you are asking... They are saying 25% max for characters, and 25% min for core. Are you asking how to work that out?

A percentage is essentially a fraction but normalised to be out of 100. So if you are working out 25% of something, you are working out what is 25/100 of it. Essentially that means you multiply the full number by 0.25. So 25% of 2000 is 0.25 x 2000 = 500.

4. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

All the recent rumors are saying that Mounts count towards the 25% cap on characters. Also no more than 25% rare units. And max 50% on special units.

5. strewart
    OldBlood

Yeah the whole mounts don't count in 25% is completely wishlisting from people. Its stupid, what else are they going to count as?!? Same as a few people saying items don't count. Of course they will, that is half the cost of characters and what else could it count as? Or 25% lords, 25% heroes. Pfft hardly anyone takes that muh even now! Essentially, there will be a lot less characters in armies, this is what GW are trying to do, no point in trying to find loopholes or rules that will get extra characters. The game will change and people will adapt and move on.

6. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

I actually haven't seen any rumors about where items will fall. Likely they will be part of the 25% but nothing specific yet. And I recall that there was a separate percentage for items at some point(or I could be thinking of another game). The mounts not counting one was discounted pretty early.

7. Skrox
    Cold One

Skrox New Member

This is the death of the engine of the gods then for most all lists, and the ancient stegadon with warspear combo. You couldn't take one with a properly kitted out slann in anything but a 3000+ game. I bet some of the scenario's that they keep saying will be a bigger part of the next book will be some that fiddle with the percentages of characters allowed.

That being said the regular stegadon is still pretty cool. I will wait to buy mine until the rules are out and I know what I should build it as.

8. strewart
    OldBlood

Yeah... That is why GW is moving to 3k as standard I am guessing. Basically, I am happy with the usual 2k allocation to be allowed at 3k, but 750 points of characters at 3k (25%) is still a bit restrictive. You could take a slann and eotg, but not much else.

9. giant stegadon
    Saurus

giant stegadon New Member

I've read rumors that GW will be issuing erata's for all armies to bring them into the fold for 8th...might this mean point changes too? It's definitely a bit of wish-listing, but it makes sense in that you have a lot of army books (or all-dont know what Ed. the slots were) issued w/ a slot system in mind. It would seem giving a model a point value would change whether you were calculating slots or %'s.

With the spread & use of the internet now (even vs. 4 years ago) it would make the game flow much better to issue erata's to lessen the guaranteed mass chaos & confusion when 8th drops. Plus, in one pdf document you could nerf DoC...

10. strewart
    OldBlood

They could have fixed DoC long ago if they wanted to...

There will certainly be erratas because some things will be seriously messed up, and its even possible they will be in the BRB since it is rumoured to be over 500 pages. However, it seems both slots and percentage will be in 8th so no changes needed there. Otherwise I think goblin mages are 60-70 points or so? You could take 6 or 7 in a 2k army. :p

11. walach
    Razordon

walach New Member

true, but 'fixing' things makes way more sense when you're hitting a new edition, surely.

indeed, if even half of what is rumoured to be in the new book is in, at the least erratas will be needed. but i cant help feel even then, a lot of stuff will be almost useless or horribly over/under priced.