8th Ed. a bunhch of rules questions

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by shahryar, Mar 13, 2011.

1. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

sorry if the lizardmen questions are in the faq I checked and didnt see them

Can a stegadon use a skink chiegs BS for fireing the bow and giant blowpipe?

and 2 general rules questions
    first from waht I read in the book it looks like HW + shield no longer gives a +1 bonus to armor it just gives a 6+ ward is this true or am I missing a rule somewhere.

and two if I remember in the previous edition if you wipe out the whole front rank before your opponents attack turn they cannot attack that turn. Not counting support attacks does this still hold true?

basically if I have 4 ranks of 5 saurus and because of initiative one my front rank gets obliterated would I only be making support attacks or do the saurus move up and I get all attacks?

2. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

No, the crew has to use their own ballistic skill. It's on page 3 of the FAQ.

Right. Hw & S gives a 6+ "parry" ward save against attacks made to the front. Armor save stays the same.

Now, it doesn't matter how many in the front rank get wiped out. As long as you still have models in the unit, they step up to fight. Basically, take your casualties off the back, and when it's your turn to attack, everyone in contact (and those making supporting attacks) can fight.

3. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

This is not exactly true, models don't "step up" you simply remove casualties from the back of the unit, there is usually no difference in how the two work until characters get involved, because if a character dies due to alocated attacks your fank and file gus behind him will not step up to fill in the freed up spot until that close combat phase is over, the model(s) behind him can still make supporting attacks as usual.

4. pgarfunkle
    Saurus

pgarfunkle Member

Right. Hw & S gives a 6+ "parry" ward save against attacks made to the front. Armor save stays the same.

That's not quite correct, a shield does also give a +1 to the models armour save in addition to the ward save it may receive.

5. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

Page 6 of the main FAQ:

Q: Usually models are removed from the rear rank in combat when
    slain. However if a model has to be removed from a fighting rank as
    there are no others to replace them – for example a unit champion or
    character – will another model immediately fill the gap? (p51)
    A: Yes.
    The shield gives its +1 armor save as usual; that wasn't the question. In 7th edition, using HW & S gave an additional +1 to a model's armor save on top of whatever it had from the shield itself and any other armor. This is gone, with the parry to take its place.

6. pgarfunkle
    Saurus

pgarfunkle Member

My bad I mis understood, never played 7th so didn't realise there was an extra +1 for the combination over the +1 for the shield alone.

7. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Ahh so they FAQ-ed it.
    My bad.