Discussion Alternate Lizardman Cultures

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by J.Logan, Jul 30, 2024.

1. J.Logan
    Cold One

J.Logan Well-Known Member

This stems mostly from my personal frustration with how lizardmen races in faction are 99% of the time relegated to meso-American inspired cultures. And while Warhammer gets a pass from me, as they were one of, if not the earliest to do so, it's still a good thought experiment for us to toy with.

What other cultures can you envision the lizardmen taking influence from?

Personal answer, and one that there is an undercurrent of in my own work (though it's a background detail as my focus is on the temple-host that over time started to cosplay as Colonial Era British Redcoats), is Ancient Greece. White marble columns, mosaic floors, aspis shields for the saurus, who are trained to work in a phalanx.

Amusingly, it after I first thought that, that I realised the different breeds of lizardmen themselves even work as the different Greek cultures: Saurus are Spartans, Skinks are Athenians, Kroxigors can be likened to the Thebans, while the Slann could be seen as analogous to the Delphic Oracle.

Bonus points, there is no Greece analogue in Warhammer Fantasy, and while the Stormcast Eternals have Greek elements in their design, that's AoS, so doesn't count!

But what other cultures can you envision as a sub-culture of lizardmen?

Imrahil and Warden like this.
  2. - Q -
    Slann

- Q - Well-Known Member

Feudal Japan.

I'm not saying it would make any sense at all :oops:... but it would be pretty cool from a modelling perspective :).

Imrahil, Warden and J.Logan like this.
  3. J.Logan
    Cold One

Funny you mention that. It was seeing somebody's pictures of just such a conversion project that originally inspired me to go with my own project. And if I can find those pictures again, I will link them, because they did an AMAZING job of converting their lizardman into a Sengoku period Japanese theme.

Imrahil, Warden and - Q - like this.
  4. - Q -
    Slann

- Q - Well-Known Member

That sounds cool!

Warden likes this.
  5. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Funny you mention samurai Lizardmen, I wrote some lore set in the WHF Dragon Isles heavily inspired by Feudal Japan during the Sengoku era (Shogun of the Dragon Isles). I have some artwork too.

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

My favorite Samurai Lizardmen conversions though were from Warhead, I have the pictures posted somewhere else on the forum but I can't find them so here they are again!

img7667h.jpg
    IMG_1598.JPG

IMG_8164.JPG

IMG_8178.JPG

IMG_8174.JPG

IMG_8169.JPG

IMG_8172.JPG

IMG_8176.JPG

6. J.Logan
    Cold One

It's funny, I never really considered what the Dragon Isle's culture would be like, but based on my initial look at the lore you've written (more of a deep look when I'm not using a phone with patchy wifi), yeah, I now can't unsee that. Might have to shamelessly steal borrow that idea at some point for my narrative works.

I like it. You've definitely put the thought into how it works for them.

Also, those might be the conversions I was talking about. They definitely look impressive enough to have inspired me all that time ago.

Imrahil likes this.
  7. - Q -
    Slann

- Q - Well-Known Member

@Warden that is so impressive, both the modelling and the art!!!

8. discomute
    Troglodon

discomute Well-Known Member

Japan makes a lot of sense to me given their dedication to following the path set by their leaders.