1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative GW models for Saurus

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Unleashed, May 9, 2021.

1. Unleashed
    Skink

Unleashed New Member

Have any of you managed to find a good model to use for a Saurus Warrior unit conversion? My initial thoughts are perhaps Bloodletters, but I’m not sure.

2. Sauros
    Saurus

Sauros Active Member

Hello ! If you are looking for some proxies there are also the models from Lost Kingdom miniatures, raven twin miniatures and last sword miniatures (search 'jungle awakening'). There are pretty nice saurus.

3. kroxh
    Temple Guard

kroxh Well-Known Member

Twin raven minitures IMG_20210405_182809_968.jpg

Irish Lizarman likes this.
  4. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

@Sauros I think the OP is trying to make Saurus out of other GW models that are not originally Saurus.

Not sure why...

:sorry:
    @Unleashed
    ?? :cyclops: ??

5. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Are they sold out?

6. Sauros
    Saurus

Sauros Active Member

Yeah you are probably right, then bloodletters might be a way yup or kroots from Warhammer 40 000's Tau.

7. Fharli
    Jungle Swarm

Fharli New Member

I am currently working on some "elite" saurus guard conversions, using the saurus blockers from the Gwaka'moli Crater Gators Blood Bowl kit.

Pros:
    • They are great sculpts, with much better proportions than the current guard and warriors
    • They are easy to cut up into torsos/legs/tails bits that fit reasonably well together (with some putty) if you want more varied poses than the base 3
    • Hands and weapons from the guards, warriors and Oldblood/Scar Vet are easy to fit on them
    • The BB Coins from the kit are good for basing and/or Astrolith Bearer conversions, and the skink headresses are large enough for the saurus as well
    • You get an extra 4 skinks (2 poses) and 2 chameleon skinks (1 pose + tongue) for every BB kit, which are also good conversion fodder
    Cons:
    • They are noticeably larger than the current saurus guard and warriors, almost as big as the Oldblood/Scar Vet from the Carnosaur kit
    • You only get 6 saurus per BB kit, so building large units of them is unreasonably expensive

Noxolotl and Imrahil like this.
  8. Irish Lizarman
    Chameleon Skink

Irish Lizarman Well-Known Member

kroxh likes this.
  9. Noxolotl
    Cold One

Noxolotl Well-Known Member

Bloodletters seem like a nice idea although you would need to give them tails and probably sculpt some scales. For their heads, as mentioned above Blood Bowl saurus are pretty much the best bet. For bonus may i suggest making a mold of theese heads so you can make more from green stuff, and if you want to play around with green stuff molds but don't want to buy a Blood Bowl set just use the oldblood from starblood stalkers.

10. Unleashed
    Skink

Unleashed New Member

Yeah, I’m just not a huge fan of the Saurus sculpts.