1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An encouragment to update your army over time

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by BigDinosaur, Feb 7, 2023.

1. BigDinosaur
    Skink

BigDinosaur Active Member

Sometimes its worth it to stop buying, step back and take a look at your army to spot which units can use a painting upgrade...
    Dont forget that we become better painters over time (and practise), and sometimes there can be a big disparity in the quality of the paintjob within the same army (which was my case).

I thought about this as I was working on upgrading some of my skinks, which were painted way back in 2011 and now, after being back at the hobby and to lizardmen for a couple of years, they became the ugly kids of the army.
    Instead of hiding them on the back or avoid using them, I decided to upgrade and simply repaint over the old paintjob.
    It took me less time than I expected and the result is almost identical to the much more recent ones.

I still want to upgrade all the skinks in my army with a final layer of highlights, but for now they are up to par.

Here are the pictures:

restaurar1.png

restaurar2.png

I redone all the skin, matt varnished and polished the scales a bit, polished gold highlights and the stone spikes on the swords. Also redone their mouths.

They look with higher level of detail, smoother finish and no more shiny.

Hope it inspires someone!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  2. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

They look very fine!!
    I love the skin tones and the mouths just look so good :wideyed:

Holding back on buying new stuff is pretty hard some times, but the reward of finishing a unit in style is so good.
    I promised myself to finish (most) of my grey lizards before the new will come... so wish me luck

Grrr, !mrahil

BigDinosaur and JTSleep like this.
  3. WildColonial Boy
    Bastiladon

WildColonial Boy Well-Known Member

Whilst contemplating my mountain of grey and looking at my existing armies I have realised that I really need to re-base many of them as a lot are very mismatched and don't conform to the aesthetic of some of the later additions to each army.
    However the reality is that this will probably never happen....

Imrahil likes this.