TOW Anyone here running a Horned One?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen Discussion' started by discomute, Jul 28, 2024.

1. discomute
    Troglodon

discomute Well-Known Member

So I feel like I'm ruining my meta a bit by running carnosaurs and stegadons and no one else is running big monsters.

I'm not loving our Slann especially at 1500 so I've been thinking about doing an oldblood on a horned one. I'd have to buy them model, but what's more money in this hobby?

Anyone ran it and how has it gone? I was thinking something like bedazzling helm, talisman of protection and horned one which is 100 points and gives 2+/5+ and -1 to hit. Protect those tiny 3 wounds.

The cav spear was my instinct and probably worth 4 points but far out it's ordinary compared to lances (you can drop) and our hand weapons which give -1AC the whole time.

Taking a great weapon might be better you'd just drop to 3+ in the combats and of course lose some initiative, which might be important given you're no longer riding a carno.

Any good builds out there? How have they gone?

2. BeardedLizard
    Saurus

BeardedLizard Member

I don't think Old blood Horned one is a good choice personally. Your build seems like a good one though!

I've played Scar-veteran with horned one, spelleater axe and charmed shield. Place him in a a unit of saurus or Temple Guard to give them -2 Magic resistance, Fear and extra oomph.

One I've thought about is a monster slayer Old One with Horned one, Dragon slayer sword, paymaster coin, charmed shield and potion of speed. 6xAttacks on charge with good initiative and rerolls to hit.

I would just keep running monsters, they're good but far from broken. Few cannons/monster slayer/monsters of their own and the meta corrects itself.

3. discomute
    Troglodon

discomute Well-Known Member

Yeah they're not broken but everyone is running lots of infantry which is awesome and more fun. Our trogs are ordinary and our bastiladons are decent but I think the stegadons and carnosaurs are unstoppable unless you base a list around it.

I also wonder if Apotheosis is viable, giving him terror is cool.

But anyway yeah your build is also cool but I don't think I'll be running into many dragons haha.

I also feel like skirmishers are really good in TOW. You can't hide your Slann from them. You can't run your skinks around them. I'll be interested to see how a Cowboy goes.

Another good build would be armour of destiny along with a biting blade (or sword of might if you need the BB elsewhere). You are 3+/4+ but now have a magic weapon that's pretty strong.

I can't see much else that viable. At 90 points of magic items, magic weapons are scarce between 64 and 21 and armour/items scarce under 30. It's a shame the HO eats into the items.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2024
  4. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Chameleon Skink

Gothmog Lord of Balrogs Active Member

Imo totally viable in lower points, also a great way to get a scar vet bsb places

5. Kalisto
    Kroxigor

Kalisto Active Member

The build i usually use (due restriction not allowing a lot of big monsters and so on) is an oldblood with headman axe, horned one and talisman of protection or glyph necklace.
    Killing blow is amazing with 6 attacks, especially against monstrous infantery/cavalry such trolls, dragonogres and so on.
    Apotheosis although is probably not worth it. Maybe it will become more useful if you play at the same time even a skink on terradon

6. DoubleSkulls
    Skink

DoubleSkulls New Member

As I don't have a Carnosaur (yet) I'm planning on running a solo Old Blood on Horned One with the Dragon Slaying Sword, Talisman of Protection and Potion of Speed to act as a deterrent to enemy lord on dragon etc. Its really a 260 point insurance for running into something nasty that otherwise I feel like I don't really have much threat against.

7. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Chameleon Skink

Gothmog Lord of Balrogs Active Member

Just be aware, with Dragon Slaying Sword, if they don't have monsters, your combat lord is significantly less effective. Common problem vs Bretts and Dwarves.

8. DoubleSkulls
    Skink

DoubleSkulls New Member

Yes.. its basically an insurance policy for the Lord on Dragon. Otherwise its 260 points which can't hurt much with any armour.