1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS: Beasts of Chaos

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Aginor, Jul 23, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Hey y'all!

I am playing with the idea of starting a small Beasts of Chaos army in AoS and I would like to ask a few general questions about list building and play style.

Does anyone here play that army?

2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I'm starting Beastmen, but I'm going to be mainly using them in Fantasy. I may well get involved a little with them in AoS as I'll probably be using them as a playtest opponent for my unofficial factions, but they'll be modelled on square bases so won't be visiting any AoS tournaments anytime soon :D

Imrahil likes this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

I wish we would know whether Beastmen will be playable in TOW.
    I might paint some and magnetize their bases so I can use them in both systems.
    ...or GW could tell us whether there will be something like movement trays with round slots. I am certainly not going to rebase my armies and I am hesitant to build something not usable in AoS since that is all I play right now.

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Without a doubt Beastmen should be playable in TOW, they've been kicking around in the Warhammer world since the Polar Gates fell, and given GW said that they want players to be able to use their old armies, there's nothing to say that Beastmen won't be playable.

Certainly GW did in the past make movement trays with rectangular frontages and round base slots, for a mass-combat version of the Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game called War of the Ring:
    [​IMG]

I'd love to think they'd do something like this again to maximise interplayability between the games. Perhaps they could also do the reverse and have AoS round bases with Fantasy square base shapes cut into them to allow Fantasy players to use their models in AoS without being thrown out of tournaments...

Aginor and Imrahil like this.
  5. Aginor
    Slann

It sounds reasonable but we are talking about GW so... who knows? :D

6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Heh, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if GW came up with a Warhammer Community message that’s a more elegant form of ‘we don’t give a damn about Beastmen because we love Warriors of Chaos, that’s why we gave Beastmen subpar rules in the last couple of editions of Fantasy and made Warriors of Chaos more and more broken, and therefore Beastmen aren’t playable in the Old World’...

7. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

I'm sure beasrmen will be playable in ToW, and have a low performing book, as they always do.

8. Aginor
    Slann

Perfect for me.
    I enjoy underdog armies (also enjoyed that when I started playing Seraphon. Everyone was like "lol Lizardboys suck" and then lost against my Skinks. Good times).

9. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Mainly only because GW favour Skinks over Saurus in their AoS rules writing for inapparent reasons, particularly with that ‘wary fighter’ rule stopping them from getting kerbstomped in melee and cheap summoning costs allowing you to spam them to high Christian Heaven.

Yeah, to be honest I’d much rather play an underpowered army, mainly because when I play with family we just use the models we have in thematic army lists rather than power combos, but also because I don’t like playing armies that have been tailored by writers to become broken. That’s why I’m giving away some Warriors of Chaos models I was given by others and replacing them with Beastmen.

Aginor likes this.