1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS AoS: first month report.

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Slanputin, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

The first report on AoS's seminal month is apparently out, with BoLS summarising it's findings here (gauged from GENCON representatives, so bias?)

Apparently AoS has been selling reasonably well: "moving in respectable numbers and is breathing new live into the Warhammer line. Product is moving through the channel in numbers Warhammer Fantasy has not seen in years. It’s not anything like 40k, but its a good place to build from."

In addition "retailers who BoLS has reached out to are saying the following: They were pleasantly surprised with Age of Sigmar’s sales numbers, and the products are going out to customers smoothly with little grousing and/or returns. The products look to be moving in higher than expected numbers across the launch range from the boxed set to the follow-up miniatures. Retailers who went “all in” and heavily pushed the new system reported strong sales into their player communities."

Given the veracity of the above, looks like the success of AoS won't convince GW to do any backpeddling to 8th-esque systems.

Qupakoco and Lord Sa'rk like this.
  2. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Explodingzeb Well-Known Member

That BoLS article is so cringe-worthily vague and anecdotal, citing no sources. It's like they don't even try.

Slanputin likes this.
  3. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

You mean "that BoLs article is so cringe-worthily vague and anecdotal" ;)

BoLs does have a tact for hyperbole and boundless enthusiasm.

I'm sure when GW releases the most recent stake-holder financial report things will be more clear.

Explodingzeb likes this.
  4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

As a new player AOS has made it easier for me and my son to start gaming, were even considering buying a starter set for the Khorne models, ideally if we found someone who wanted the Eternals we could end up with a nice size chaos force by swapping models.

I have the 8th edition books and they just seemed complicated to pick up and play, so if AOS is aimed at new players it has my vote.

Qupakoco likes this.
  5. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

AoS appears to be the winning formula.

It reminds me of Super Smash Bros.: a simple button-masher if you want it to be, but also a nuanced, complex platform.

WadeTheMediocre and Crowsfoot like this.
  6. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

AoS has it's good points, but I am worried about two things.

1) I'm not convinced GW is ever going to add a system to balance game.
    2) I'm not convinced GW is going to support the Seraphon or any of the old armies beyond where they are at now.

Though I haven't given up hope on number two entirely. If Games Workshop were retiring Lizardmen they wouldn't have bothered giving them a trademark-able new name. Still, I don't like that the GW referred to the army rules as a "final sendoff."

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  7. Lord Grok Of Xillaqua
    Kroxigor

Lord Grok Of Xillaqua Well-Known Member

The most likely thing GW will do is eventually (within 1-2 years) release a brand new model range for the "Seraphon" that will resemble the new direction GW wants to take them and release new warscrolls with them as part of their "campaign" books.

Mr Phat, Iskander and Slanputin like this.
  8. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

As Lord Grok stated above, I think LM will be re-imagined. Still reptilian no doubt, with an focus on their Ancient-Magitek theme, but I wouldn't' be surprised if it significantly diverges from our Mayaincatec motif beyond that.

Iskander likes this.
  9. Lord Grok Of Xillaqua
    Kroxigor

Exactly, Slanputin! I wouldn't be surprised if we even get our own set of terrain and a new, oversized Slann model since the trend of large show pieces has been quite popular with GW in the last 2 years.

Iskander likes this.
  10. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

*imagines the Seraphon version of a Necron Monolith*

Iskander, n810 and Ixt like this.
  11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I believe that both of these worries are extremely valid. I am highly doubtful that an AoS points system will ever be released by GW. I can see a greater (though still very small) chance for Seraphon support, but not in the aesthetic that we have known and loved.

12. Lord Grok Of Xillaqua
    Kroxigor

That could be an excellent idea for a conversion if you had spare bits from a Stegadon kit to make a custom EotG type device in place of the crystal and replace the guns on each side with big blowpipes :)

Slanputin likes this.
  13. KingCheops
    Temple Guard

KingCheops Active Member

I was on the rumor bandwagon that this would be the case but after reading Under the Black Thumb I think we might actually retain our aesthetic. Some names might change but overall it'll be roughly the same. The skaven racial memory kicked in as soon as that character saw the lizards so they can't have changed too much.

14. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Ooh. What happened? Expand please :p

Mr Phat and n810 like this.
  15. KingCheops
    Temple Guard

KingCheops Active Member

Pretty straight forward really. Seraphon started beaming in and as the skaven was running around trying to get away he'd see various units and he'd remember a long ago jungle and his people's hated enemies. This was a disease clan skaven (not pestilens they have a new name).

16. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

I also read "Beneath the black thumb" and our loved lizards only major change is that they don't bleed blood but starlight, and that they vanishes into a shimmering light when "killed" - I am not even sure they die? I got the impression that like Daemons they just return to their realm....maybe they literally re-spawn? :p
    I kinda hope so, cause I still have that "I am a terrible bastard" when I place my skinks in the way of something slaughter'ish.

I wouldnt get on the "we wont change in the future" boat just yet though...
    Just cause lizardmen doesn't change, no one says that future additions will share the style.
    It could very well be "...and then the a totally new reptillian emerged from the spawning pool.." fluff thing, and that they will slowly take over in numbers.

There was speak of "Dragon-kin" at a time, and given that there is a LOT of "Drake" wording in our current war-scrolls, it seems highly likely.

I seriously hope they keep the Aztec/Stone/temples theme though!
    Would be very sad to see that go! (at least we still have our chunks of Lustria)

Ixt likes this.
  17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

You've got to be kidding me. Oh GW, how far you've fallen.

18. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

Haha I used to get that way too. =]