1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS AoS rules conundrum cleanup.

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Korloq Huan, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Korloq Huan
    Skink

Korloq Huan Member

Hi there everyone.

I see that a lot of people are having all sorts of rules conundrums with AoS, so here is a big tip that should hopefully clear up a lot of people's problems.

Essentially, AoS is a rules as written type of game, so should be treated as such. If you aren't sure about something, just read the rules carefully. If the rules specifically states that something occurs (such as an AOE buff applying to the user as well) then apply it. If not (such as the rule not stating that the buff applies to the user as well) then don't apply it.

I have taken this approach to AoS and I have yet to find a situation that isn't quickly solved by carefully reading the rule/s in question and applying this approach.

I hope this can clear up many of your AoS rules conundrums :)

Huan

n810, Wazz, is4evrdead and 1 other person like this.
  2. Gazbal
    Skink

Gazbal New Member

Hi Huan,

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

The only instance I've come across which is less clear is in the thread about tomb king chariot attacks.
    atortis had a different view about the number of attacks but the rules as read could mean either his or my interpretation.

3. Korloq Huan
    Skink

Korloq Huan Member

As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Since RaR works for me, and you too, there is no need to start messing about with it.

In terms of the chariots, I've just had a quick skim of the rules, it says there are two crew, who both have the spears and bows. Therefore you get two lots of attacks with them. The same applies to the steeds since it says there is a pair of them. Then the leader also gets his extra attack, and also the doubling rule on the charge also applies.
    Is that what you thought they meant? what did atortis think it read?

4. Gazbal
    Skink

Gazbal New Member

Ok.
    Basically the point of contention is this.
    Under the description it states that a skeleton chariot is crewed by a pair of skeleton warriors who are equipped with charioteer's spears and ancient bows.
    The warscroll stats part states "ancient bows" and shows the stats as 2 attacks etc etc.

I read this to mean that the 2 attacks on the warscroll are the total number of attacks for both models.
    ie. that listing is the total capability of the unit.

atortis reads it more like an armoury.
    The listing for the weapons "ancient bows" shows 2 attacks. A pair of skeleton warriors riding the chariot have this weapon so therefore they attack 4 times.
    ie. the warscroll listing states the capability of the weapon itself and is therefore multipled by the number of people wielding that weapon.

If you read it carefully it does not really conclusively prove either point.

5. Korloq Huan
    Skink

Korloq Huan Member

I would agree with atortis on this one. Think of it like this. If you have a unit of 5 temple guard, the only weapon they have is the pole arm (excluding the bites which all saurus have). By what you say this would mean that the capability of the unit is just 2 attacks for the five guys since that is what the weapon states. Think of the weapons list as a list of what each individual model has, not what the unit has; that would extend each model in a chariot or multi model vehicle. Also in game terms the unit is a higher level than the basic archer so you would expect the chariots to have more attacks per model than the normal archers, and 2 shots for the entire chariot seems like not very much considering the amount of wounds it has.

6. Gazbal
    Skink

Gazbal New Member

Ahh but a unit of temple guard is several temple guard armed with the weapon. so the model is the temple guard.
    Chariots come as a unit of 3 at minimum.
    So the model that you multiple that stat line by is the chariot itself, not the crew.
    That's the difference.
    Each chariot is armed with the stat line in the same way that each temple guard is armed with the stat line for the pole arm.
    You don't multiple the attacks for characters armed with more than one weapon either.
    So why would you do so with a chariot where the riders are effectively it's arms.

And we cannot speculate about how many shots it should have because it's not a shooting unit.
    The chariot is a charge into melee style unit. It has more attacks in melee with spears and the horses can also attack in melee.

7. Korloq Huan
    Skink

Korloq Huan Member

Actually I take what I said back. You are completely right. I looked at the stats for the stegadon, and it has 4 shots with the javelins from the crew. Obviously no skink can throw 4 javelins so that counts for the whole crew. So yes, in the case of the chariots you are right. My bad. At least I've learnt something :)

8. is4evrdead
    Cold One

is4evrdead Active Member

the way i go about it is the war scroll is for the entire model (bassicly ignoring any number of riders, beasts and so on) so the number of attacks on the warscroll is all they get as far as i know every previous edetion of warhammer (and 40k for that matter) has been like that

9. Korloq Huan
    Skink

Korloq Huan Member

Yeah, after reading the stegadon warscroll I realised that's exactly how it is intended by GW :)

10. Kultak
    Skink

Kultak Member

You can always teach him a lesson. Put a Stegadon on the table and attack him 16 times, see how he likes it!

However, one thing to think about is that on the Stegadon warscroll it doesn't say that there are four skinks on the howda.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    Gazbal likes this.
  11. is4evrdead
    Cold One

is4evrdead Active Member

its still like mentioning there are 3 dude maning this tank the tank doesnt get 3 attacks still just the one

12. Gazbal
    Skink

Gazbal New Member

Well if you look at it that way it's 2 guys driving around a chariot.

They are good enough to still get 1 attack each even while driving it around so they are pretty good.
    Especially when you consider that normal infantry tend to have 1 attack each.
    The chariot in charge has a crew so good that they can squeeze in an extra attack even while they are effectively in a high speed chase.

It's like driving around a convertible car (only more complicated) and leaning out to whack somebody with a stick while you drive past.

13. Kultak
    Skink

Kultak Member

Put one of those dudes on the 50-cal machine gun and all of a sudden you have one big boom and a heck of a lot of bullets going down range! :smug:

The only reason that I mentioned that the warscroll does not mention there are four skinks on the houda is because it sounds like Gazbal's friend likes to be a little to literal as long as it benefits him. (Not trying to insult your friend Gazbal.) So he might bring that up.

Hold my beer and watch this!!! :D

14. is4evrdead
    Cold One

is4evrdead Active Member

very true i like your style
    wait up let me grab the camera:snaphappy: ok go

Kultak likes this.
  15. Geko747
    Skink

Geko747 New Member

Another point is that on the warscroll it also pluralises Ancient Bow's and Spears, showing they have included the 2 bows together. Other warscrolls will just have Great Axe or Ancient Bow.

n810 likes this.