1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age AOS to be overtaken by TOW?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Tombomb7, Jul 23, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Tombomb7
    Cold One

Tombomb7 Well-Known Member

Hi!

With the additional TOW news I'm now wondering what will become of AOS once it lands. Does a game version which contains a lot of similar models typically get shelved/phased out with less attention and love?
    Appreciate insights from those with a lot more knowledge than I have!

2. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Oh, I don't think AoS will be phased out at all.

For me, there will still be those who will pick up and play that gaming system, just like there are those that play 40K but not necromunda.

3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Hard to tell.
    The past tells us a few things here:
    - there are different types of players. Not all systems/worlds of lore appeal to everyone
    - many people will switch only if they can keep playing their favourite armies they have invested a lot of time in
    - many people have very specific preferences and will not switch if those aren't met.
    - it depends who you play with
    - marketing plays a huge role
    - complexity (or lack thereof) can get people into the game, and will repel others.
    - army sizes (number of models) plays a role
    - pricing plays a role
    - initial hype and hate can play a role (first impressions)

Example: Me and my buddy:
    - no GW store anymore in our town, just the two of us
    - all our armies are on round bases (we started with AoS).
    - my buddy has a problem with complex rules, us playing AoS together usually requires me to be the "game master" and explain rules. A significantly more complex game would just not be feasible. The complexity level of the most recent 40K edition would be the maximum.
    - I have Seraphon/Lizardmen, Legions of Nagash/Vampire counts and Sylvaneth/Wood Elves while my buddy has Ironjawz/Black Orcs, a few Bonesplitterz (Savage Orcs), Stormcast Eternals (no equivalent) and Nighthaunt/(were those Vampire Counts as well? I don't know).

If there is a way to play at least one of our armies each and rebasing is optional (we would use house rules and movement trays or something) it could work and I would at least buy the rule book and the army book).
    In my case I would probably try and build a new army, most likely magnetizing models to use round or square bases. I would not build an army that I can only play in TOW.
    - I would most likely not build a huge army. We often don't have _that_ much time to play and I don’t intend to spend 400 bucks on models and books and spend 6 months painting them (the models, not the books) if I don’t know whether I like the game.

According to GW themselves AoS creates a lot more revenue than WHFB ever did (Not nearly as much as WH40K though) and the ever-growing number of (AoS exclusive!) Stormcast models tells me that they are not interested in letting AoS die anytime soon. Quite the opposite, it seems that AoS is gaining momentum. More armies, more books, the rule set since AoS 2nd edition has drawn in many players that formerly played other systems and would not have played AoS 1.0, and the lore is getting deeper and more interesting with new novels and the like being released.

Eventually? Who knows. If TOW is significantly more successful than AoS economically AoS might die in a few years. However they will have to do a lot to make it more interesting. The short wave of nostalgia from some (certainly not all) old 6th, 7th and 8th edition players and the interest in the Old World caused by the TWW video games will only do so much. They need more.

4. Tombomb7
    Cold One

Tombomb7 Well-Known Member

Selfishly I hope Age of Sigmar doesn't lose popularity, I'm not sure I'd enjoy the rank and file style of WFH in this new TOW version but who knows!

Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  5. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

There is a reason why GW is constantly pushing toward new AoS armies.
    Because if you play Seraphon, you could decide to leave AoS, rebase your minis and turn to ToW.
    But if you have armies as Kharadron, Idoneth, DoK, Lumiheth, SoB, Nighthaunts, Ossiarch, SCE, Kruleboyz, Fyreslayers... well, you cannot use them in ToW, and no way you'll leave them on some shelves.
    AoS will still go on.

6. Cuetzpal Pilli
    Temple Guard

Cuetzpal Pilli Well-Known Member

This legit made me laugh-out-loud! Thank you for putting that in there, haha!! Very thorough and worded response btw! As much as I miss WHFB, I've grown fond of AoS and its quirkiness so I hope it doesn't fall by the wayside too soon.

I remember reading somewhere a post from a GW employee and how he would get people who found Warhammer via the TW:W video games come in to the store asking about armies like Bretonnia or the Tomb Kings and that awkward exchange explaining why they aren't around anymore. Guessing this won't be too big an issue once TOW drops...hopefully, haha!

7. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

+1

Grrr, Imrahil

Noxolotl, Warden, Tombomb7 and 2 others like this.
  8. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

As long as their ranges aren't going to be Forge World :blackeye: ;)

In all seriousness, I'd rather have both games be around for those who want to play them. I wasn't impressed at how GW killed off Fantasy in favour AoS at the beginning, but I certainly don't want the reverse to happen now TOW is coming, particular given AoS is developing more and more interesting lore and new factions. Both games deserve to be equally successful.

9. SnowMan
    Saurus

SnowMan Active Member

everyone I know who plays AOS is to young to have enjoyed WFB so dont think its a case of people going back

going by where I live in norfolk we have a triving wfb 6th edition movement going on which embraces proxys in a mostly balenced game mode

while some will dabble with TOW how many can be arsed with the army book grind as you get wiped by the new shiney list and you have a ravening hordes style list

10. Killer Angel
    Slann

If fear ToW release won't be a thing for the next time to come, including all 2023 as a minimum.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  11. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Alas, certainly if GW have the sinister plan to go ahead with a pointless 40K 10th Edition next year and AoS 4th Edition the year after that, I don't see TOW coming until 2025 minimum.

12. Killer Angel
    Slann

10th 40k ed would be not only pointless, but even harmful.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I'm not even really that excited for it. It can be 2024 or 2034, makes no difference.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  14. Killer Angel
    Slann

The problem in GW's decision "let's create hype asap", is that after some years of wait people loses interest.

15. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I'm pretty sure that any hopes I have had for the game have died. Mainly because I'm certain there will be an AOS-type constant updates and I'm not interested in that.

16. Killer Angel
    Slann

Yep, pretty much.
    Well, i can still consider it GW includes the army i want, but certainly i'm not going to spend a cent on it.

17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

This... exactly this!!!

When I picked up the Warhammer Underworlds Crimson Court box, there was a tiny brief moment in time where I contemplated giving the game a try. But the constant updates are unbearable. I want to have nothing to do with it and it is likely that ToW will be plagued by the very same thing. I think the old adage "leave your audience wanting more" is appropriate here. Personally (as this will vary from one individual to another) I believe that GW overloads its player base with update after update.

18. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

My friend and I are pretty good on knowing the rules, but it takes both of us being on the alert to make sure we're applying all 8th rules correctly.

Plus, I don't believe I have had a match where I haven't realized at some point after that I did something wrong.

Trying to do this with constantly changing updates is not for me.

Plus, it rubs me the wrong way to think about having to constantly purchase rules updates on top of the models, paint, etc.

19. Killer Angel
    Slann

There should be a middleground between monthly updates and armies neglected for years...

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Plus it feels like one is constantly doing nothing but chasing the meta. Not to mention the increased chance of imbalance and power creep.

You've stumbled upon GW's secret!

I think that balance point is closer to the 8th edition WFB days than modern day GW.

Lizards of Renown likes this.