8th Ed. Aquatic Special Rule - 8th Edition

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by kahlany, Jan 30, 2012.

1. kahlany
    Jungle Swarm

kahlany New Member

Hi all, this is my first post on this website, but over the past year or so i have often read these forums to find answers to some of the grey areas we stumble into in the Warhammer world. So firstly, thank you for the great job you and your members do.

Now down to the questions :D

In the 8th edition the Aquatic special rule was changed to river strider, can we (Lizardmen) march through water features?
    How does the hidden aspect of the Aquatic special rule work when i deploy a unit in water? Do i have to tell my opponent that there is a unit of skinks hidden in that marsh when i deploy?

Thank you in advance for any help/advice.

Sudaj likes this.
  2. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

it's just the first sentence of the rule that was changed in the FAQ. So they have River, Marsh, and Lake strider, which means to units with Aquatic, they treat it as open terrain. So they can march through it, be steadfast in it, and get rank bonus.
    They still benefit from being in soft cover when in it (50% or more of the models).

I have no idea why the thing about scouts being out of sight wasn't faq'd out to avoid confusion. Basically, it doesn't apply in 8th edition. The key part is "... counts as being deployed out of sight...". In 8th, there is nothing about being deployed out of sight. It's meaningless, so you can just ignore that paragraph. Your chameleons deploy as normal: anywhere outside of 12 inches.

3. kahlany
    Jungle Swarm

kahlany New Member

Thanks for the quick response and clearing that up for me!

4. darksoul999
    Jungle Swarm

darksoul999 New Member

FAQ states to remove first sentance and replace with River strider, March strider, and Lake strider of the aquatic rule on page 41 of the lizzy book.

The strider rule (BRB pg 76) says warriors with the strider rule do not have to take a dangerous terrain test.

Rivers (BRB pg 120) states that marching is impossible through a river.

Im not sure where your seeing that strider equates to treating river terrain as open terrain

5. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

"And that was how I learned to never trust what opponents said rules meant, ever again."

You're totally right. Thanks darksoul999. All it means is no dangerous terrain test. Wow. So in a river, that's no marching, no rank bonus, no steadfast. Eeek!

I've always played it that way, as that's what my regular opponents all said it meant. They're all sporting a 7th edition hangover, though, which may explain it.