8th Ed. are spear special weapon?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by CN45, Jul 31, 2011.

1. CN45
    Skink

CN45 New Member

I know i have asked this befor about are Spear 2 handed weapons but some of my friends are now saying that Spear are "Special Weapon" and under the rules any weapons that are Special cant us there shield in Melee?

2. vict0988
    Cold One

vict0988 Member

spear is a one hand oberated weapon that lets you strike with one extra rank however they can only make one attack.
    shields gives a 6+ armour save that can go with other armour also if you have a hand weapon you get a 6+ ward save in close combat.
    hand weapons can be axes swords or otherwise, but does not give any bonusses and are carried in one hand
    a saurus has 2 arms (normally) and can carry a spear in one and a shield in the other, has a total save of 4+, and can attack in 3 ranks. the ranks after the first only attack once this is called supporting attacks (4 if in horde formation).
    however it is a better option (thinks most people on this forum) to keep the hand weapons as you dont have to buy spears and get a 6+ ward save in close combat and can attack in 2 ranks.
    try reading the big book it really helps......

3. The  Omen
    Saurus

The Omen New Member

I think your friends might be confusing the rule, you can use the shield for +1 armour save but you can't get the 6+ ward save - you only get that with a hand weapon and shield.

4. troubled_joe
    Saurus

troubled_joe Member

The long and short of it is, there is no rule stating that you can't use shields with special weapons. Your friends are 100% wrong. Some special weapons (i.e. 2-handed ones) mean you can't use a shield, but not all special weapons.

5. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

Various conditions and rules apply to shields, I have tried to consider most below

Example ------------------------------Shield Save Parry Ward
    HW + normal Shield normal combat...Y...............Y
    HW + magic Shield normal combat.....Y..............Y
    Any 1H + Sh v any stomp .................Y..............N
    Any 2H + Sh v any stomp .................N..............N
    Any weapon + any Sh v all ranged ....Y..............N
    Magic 1H Weapon + any Shield HtH....Y..............N
    Special 1H Weapon + any Shield HtH..Y..............N
    Any 2H Weapon + any Shield HtH.......N..............N

This can be summarised into you only get a parry save with a shield and a normal HW v normal HtH combat.

6. CN45
    Skink

CN45 New Member

alright thank you for the help in all this. I ask this question b/c he want to 2nd round of ArdBoys and 2 guys there were Liardmen and they just used HW/SH b/c they said"you dont get to us your shield with your save" I understand that Halberts dont b/c there 2 handed but Spears have been a topic on are they 2 handed or Special weapon like a Great Weapon and so on. But thank you for your help on this topic.

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Pretty sure that if you have a shield and a great weapon, while the shield is useless in CC you can still use it against shooting.

P. spears only use one hand, pikes use 2 hands.