8th Ed. Armour and magic item combination

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Itza Gar-Loq, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Itza Gar-Loq
    Jungle Swarm

Itza Gar-Loq New Member

I am working on making a skink chief into custom hero character, and was wondering: The rules say he may be given 'up to 50pts' of magic items. If I give him what Id like to, he would have a spear and shield, and light armour.
    I would like to field him with an Enchanted Shield, Sword(Spear) of Might, and a Bane Head.

If I use the Enchanted Shield do I need to add the +2pts for a holding a shield?

Also I've been skimming the net on 8th ed rules, and the magic items limit, and became confused with the allowance of 'magic armour and other magic items.' Can someone clarify me on what I can equip him with.

Side Question: are there any rules that allow me reduce my BS to 0, and maybe +1 something else like WS for a point cost?

2. TheRolfgar
    Chameleon Skink

TheRolfgar New Member

You can't wield 2 shields! So you don't need to pay for the regular one, we LM also need to pay the 15pts for the enchanted shield as it is listed in our army book :(

You can equip him with a maximum combined value of 50pts of magic items. no more than one item from each category (except Arcane because hes not a wizard and cannot take any).

Last question: Nope.

Edit: i just noticed you have him listed there. You can't turn the sword of might into a spear. I mean, you could model him that way, but it wouldn't give him any of the bonus's for having a spear as you can only wield a single weapon at a time. You can't merge magic and non-magical equipment together (unless you were making a special house rule and your opponent was ok with it of course).

3. Itza Gar-Loq
    Jungle Swarm

Itza Gar-Loq New Member

[edit] 8th ed book...to EBAY!!!

Also, for the sake of 'Spear of Might' ..unless its changed, page 121 of the 7th ed, says magic weapons can be any weapon, but the name used is sword, because its the most common weapon.

...and thanks for the other very useful information hopefully itll help. :)

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

You're not allowed to ask for copyrighted material as it is illegal to supply it and we do not want to cross GW lawyers. Also please remove the individual points values from your sig, that also breaches GW IP.

You are allowed to model any weapon to be a magic weapon (as long as it doesn't already have a type like the steg spear lance) so you can physically use a spear to count as sword of might, however, it still gives the same rules as the sword of might. Since that gives +1 strength anyway, I don't think you were doing anything wrong there.

And yeah, don't need to buy a basic shield and upgrade it, just need to straight buy the enchanted shield using the points value in the LM army book.

5. Itza Gar-Loq
    Jungle Swarm

Itza Gar-Loq New Member

:artist: srry, im just getting use to the whole WH/GW thing...didnt know the point costs were a violation, are they not the same for other armies?

and...as for the shield question, thanks again...

[edit]: Me not knowing isnt really excuse though cause its under the forum rules...surprisingly, its one of the few I've read...Some of them are a good 5,6 pages in length...but anyways...once again, my mistake.

6. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Nah points cost for items and magic items tend to vary from army to army, and in fact you may see some items are more expensive for an old blood than for a scar vet since they will do more damage from then. Either way, posting individual points costs on forums are a big no anywhere, but no matter. Thanks for getting rid of it. :)