8th Ed. Armour saves and quarrels of chaos...

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Heinz the Hammer, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Heinz the Hammer
    Skink

Heinz the Hammer New Member

Okay as my 1st post, I will need some help.

I am building the big blue army, and yes it is scary as it progresses :D

Now what bugs me in South Africa there are no official GW stores to settle such a dismal dispute.

If you look at this you will see my problem.
    http://www.warhammergenerals.co.za/...1&t=4693&sid=ef3928375aa2f421299fc0144dafb60b

If I am not mistaken a hero that looks like Terminator can in theory have an armour save of -2...
    Now a huge deamon with no sense of mercy hits him with a Strenth of 10 which reduces his armour by -7.
    So the terminator has a save of +6 save.

It is possible to have a save of 0 or better, eg -2 , -3 etc.
    Unfortunately one person is under the influence that p43 of the 8th ed rulebook says you cannot have a save better than +1, but please do shine some light on this.

Thanks.

2. Ilnar3
    Chameleon Skink

Ilnar3 New Member

I'm afraid your friend is correct, no save, including armor can be better than a 1+
    so a chaos lord with a jugger and shield which in 7th was a 0+ save is now "only" a1+

3. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Yep, 1 always fails. But hey, on the plus side, 6 always hits. :)

4. Heinz the Hammer
    Skink

So anything with Strenth 9 is the best armour reduction you can actually get?

And S 10 wasted?

:(

thanks for your imput though.

5. Ilnar3
    Chameleon Skink

Ilnar3 New Member

No, strength 10 hurts steam tanks on 4's

6. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

and a few other things such as the anvil of doom.

7. Wolf
    Kroxigor

Wolf Member

So what do they mean exactly with the FAQ? :p The way I read it it is perfectly possible to have an armour save which goes below 1+, but a 1 is always a failure...

8. Ilnar3
    Chameleon Skink

Ilnar3 New Member

No, it's possible to gain an armor save that add up to 0+ or better,
    But any extra points below 1+ are ignored,
    It means you can't have a 1+ save against S6 for example.

To sum up,

You can have enough gear to give you a theoretical -2+ save, but it is capped at 1+ so you may as well not bother,

9. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

both the rules and the FAQ are rather vague actually. if read for the 1st time you could easly understand that 1+ is the best save but it can go bellow that and be modified to 1+ later, thus having 1+ vs S6.
    the thing is, the old faq/BRB specified you could have a save better than 1/0+ and now it doesn't. while the interpretation that 1+ is teh best you can have is the correct one, a confusion can easly appear.

10. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I hate answering a question I am not 100% sure on when my rulebook isn't at hand... But doesn't the new book now say clearly that the best save you can have is 1+ regardless of equipment? In 7th ed it didn't used to, so you could have negative armour saves, but I don't think you can anymore.

11. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

Page 43, third paragraph. Spelled out very well there, no save can go below 1+, ever.

The FAQ is fairly straightforward too. We are still allowed item configurations that would take us to a '0' or below armor save, like putting an oldblood on a cold one with enchanted shield and light armor. It's just not doing us any good, and a S6 hit will still only allow the oldblood a 4+ save.

The FAQ is just there to make sure no one tires to argue that it's illegal to put your Herald with Armor of Khorne on a Juggernaut, etc.

12. Heinz the Hammer
    Skink

Quick question

If a chaos knight with their 0+ armour save gets hit by my Temple Guard with S5, then the armour which gets stuck at +1 gets reduced to 3+, am I correct in asuming this?

13. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

That would be the correct interpretation of the current rules.

14. sakias79
    Jungle Swarm

sakias79 New Member

It may be that I have the small(island ob) rule book but it only states that A SHIELD cannot reduce the armour save bellow 1+(p43). There is nowhere else anything saying we cant reach a 0+ armour by other means. An Oldblood(4+ scaly) on a cold one(thick skinned) has a 2+ naked. With a magic heavy armour from the new items list(armour of destiny would be my choice) he gets a 0+ and he is the only character in the game that can reach that.

15. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

Again, page 43, third paragraph. A model can never have a save of any kind better than 1+ for any reason. It's the same page and paragraph in the small Island of Blood book.

Later on the same page, under shields, it does mention that the shield still can't take a save to better than 1+. They're just restating the point.

16. sakias79
    Jungle Swarm

sakias79 New Member

I feel a little blind now...(and rather disapointed)