8th Ed. army general

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by DanBot, Nov 16, 2012.

1. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

If i give an old blood or scar vet +1 leadership via an item can he be my army's general if i am running a slann?

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

You cannot do that. Being that to get the leadership up by that +1, you have to use the banner (unless I am missing the item), that makes the scar-vet ineligible to be the general.

The slann is the only gerneral that can carry a banner.

3. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I'll just cut to my problem. I am thinking about joining a 2500pt league. But 1500 points of your army has to be the same every game. The 1500 points is available for everyone to see online. The 1500 points has to include your army's general. And here is the problem, all wizards in the 1500 points have to declare their lore. I don't want to be stuck running the same lore every game knowing a lot of my opponents will be able to put their wizards in the 1000 variable points. I'll still be running into death every game still, but I wont be able to choose my lore.

And the worst part is, I know a Khrone themed CW player in the league. And I also know I can't beat his heavy cavalry with s5/6, 40+ attacks in if front rank without metal. Or basically any of his combat blocks aside from his marauders. My only other option would be to take 3 stegs and try and bolt thrower through them. Or run all skrox units. Which isn't going to be possible since I plan for a large part of my core being in the 1500 fixed list. Also rare options are restricted to one. So I'm allowed one salamander unit.

I also know their are at least two DE players and a Daemon player that will be bringing death vs me every game and still getting their pick of lore vs other armies. ;/

Can anyone think of a loop hole to even the odds? Or do I have to just roll with the punches?

4. Mahtis
    Cold One

Mahtis New Member

i think the best way to deal with the issue is to take dual slann. That way you can get the very much needed lvl 4 wizard and still have flexibility in changing the lore. The general will have a all around suitable lore like light life, maybe even shadow if u don't want your general to be guarded by temple guards or fire to add ranged damage and the other slann is able to choose a fitting lore which serves a the best. You could even choose not to take another slann and take something you like, if you don't need anymore magical support. Just make sure you build your general slann in a way that you could wield an other slann. Look in the army lists for dual slann lists to get an idea for this. And good luck with the league!

5. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

I love digging for loopholes! Couple questions though:

1. Does the 1500 points have to be built like a 1500 point army, or can you use the full 2500 point army limits? Meaning, can you build a 625 point Slann, or does he have to be less than 375 points? If you can make a full 625 point Slann, I would just bite the bullet and pick a lore. The dual Slann idea is pretty good too, but make sure your common Slann is running super light to save points for your game changing Slann.

2. What +1 Ld item are you referring to? I think the Sacred Stegadon Helm is for skinks only, so that doesn't help. Also the +1 Ld banner says that that unit can't use the general's leadership. Plus then your BSB would have to also be the General, so there's another issue.

6. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Here are the rules for the league. And no. Just 1500 points of a 2500. Does not have to be a stand alone army.

http://glwl.org/glwl.html

If anyone can think of a hole, that would be great. I was kind of hoping not to have to run 2 slann's because I only have one modeled out and you get bonus points if your entire army is painted. I would much rather not model and paint a second slann at this point. Outside of this, I would basically never run double slann. And I have a ton of stuff I would rather be painting than a 2nd slann.

7. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Well now that I am thinking about it more, and this is debatable, but your first idea is probably the best one. If you put an Oldblood in a unit with a Scar-Vet BSB using the Standard of Discipline, then technically the whole unit is Ld 9. So long as your Oldblood doesn't leave and the BSB doesn't die. And they would have to be with regular saurus to avoid making the Slann Ld 10. The rules for the standard say that the unit cannot use the Inspiring Presence rule, and since the saurus are all Ld 9 it wouldn't matter anyway. You will have to clear that with the tourney organizer though.

Man, I don't know if there's a way past this. You could pull the Wizarding Hat on an Oldblood, but that's only a 1/8 shot of getting Metal. Not very good odds. And that's just a little cheaper than a vanilla Slann. If only you could put the Sacred Steg Helm on a saurus.

8. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

I've played Lizardmen in this league the last 2 years (trying greenskins this year), and I don't know of any way around your problem. I don't think the banner would work because the Old Blood's base leadership is still lower than the Slann's, even though it is artifically raised as long as it is in the BSB's unit. I think you just have to bite the bullet and pick a lore.

By the way, what region/county are you in? I play in Macomb county in SE MI.

9. Anton_S
    Temple Guard

Anton_S Member

Get a fixed Slann, I don't think there's any way around it. Just use a lore that is always good like Lore of Life. Give him Cogitation and Purple Sun is unlikely to be a problem. A Scar-Vet (out of the flexible points) with Obsidian Lodestone will protect him against the Death snipes.