1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back from the land of square bases.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Braininthejar, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Braininthejar
    Saurus

Braininthejar Active Member

Hello everyone.

Some time ago, my little brother got bored with painting miniatures and left me his collection.

And so my glass cabinet full of orcs demons and chaos warriors was suddenly invaded by a slann, a bunch of saurus and skinks and single croxigor.

I have been slowly adding to my collection ever since, and while my paint work might not the the best out there, I discovered that a bit of fake aquarium plants here and there go a long way.

I discovered this place while looking for conversion ideas. Hopefully the old slann can learn some new tricks here. :)

2. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Welcome to Lustria/the Stars of Azyr! I'm sure you'll find more than you bargained for within the forum.

3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Welcome!

4. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Welcome to the forum! There are some great painting threads that you can go to.

Have you every played?

5. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Welcome along!

Gr, Imrahil

6. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

7. Braininthejar
    Saurus

Definitely Lustria. I know that "shadow of its former glory" is a lizardmen thing, but "last handful of technically extinct guys using literal shadows of their former glory to fight their final wars" is too depressing for me.

Yes, I have played, but not really for the past decade - I had a long break from the hobby, and then I got more and more into just painting, because I hate the hassle (and associated minor damage) related to moving my models to the club.

8. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

bOdziO Wolf Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

9. Braininthejar
    Saurus

I guess I should introduce lord Ribbo Bitt and his host as well :) lizards all.JPG
    lizards slann.JPG
    There is another 20 saurus spearmen on the way with more stuff waiting to be painted.

10. Imrahil
    Slann

Cool army! Nice terrain peace as well :cool:

Gr, Imrahil

11. Braininthejar
    Saurus

The "terrain piece" is a cheap plastic "bonsai" I randomly found while shopping for clothes XP

12. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Welcome to Lustria.
    It may be a cheap plastic bonsai, but the final result is still nice. ;)

13. Imrahil
    Slann

:facepalm:

Nice find :)

Gr, Imrahil

14. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Nice. Well I saw your painting and it’s pretty good! I’m hopeless at painting myself.

Have you tried the GW carry cases? (To handle movement damage) you can get some good deals on EBay and such.

Just pains me that you won’t be able to enjoy that bit :)

15. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Welcome to the forums!

As for me, you can take my square bases when you can pry them from my cold undead electrocuted hands.

Let us know if you have any specific questions about gameplay, fluff, painting or anything else.

16. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Come back with your square bases... Or on them...

(300 reference)

17. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Greetings and Welcome! Great to see another Fantasy player join up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very nice army, and a tactical use of aquarium plants - my most frequent Warhammer opponent used quite a bit of aquarium scenery for his battlefields, and I’m considering getting some to use in my games of SPQR.

Not just a reference to 300, but to Spartans in general mate - they were using that quote long before they exchanged their armour for Speedos :wacky: ;)

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  18. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

[QUOTE="Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, post: Not just a reference to 300, but to Spartans in general mate - they were using that quote long before they exchanged their armour for Speedos :wacky: ;)[/QUOTE]

Yep.

Of course, 300 is an enjoyable movie but completely Hollywood. Spartans were hard bastards, but they had a superior technology.

Have you read “Gates or Fire”? If not, I highly recommend it.

19. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Yeah I personally am not a fan of 300 because it is just so insanely inaccurate despite the quotability - bald sadistic Persians riddled with piercings, armoured battle rhinos and war elephants the size of Mumaks from Lord of the Rings are not my idea of historical film (but to be fair it was based on a comic book that was only very loosely based on Thermopylae, so that’s probably why).

If you want to see a more historically accurate retelling where the Spartans actually do wear armour, the old 60s The 300 Spartans film is pretty good. It does suffer from the reduced amount of historical accuracy compared to what we know now, but it is closer to the actual battle than 300.

I haven’t read ‘Gates of Fire’, I’ll look that up, thanks for the tip-off! :)

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  20. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

To quote Screen Junkies. This is a film based on a graphic based on an older film based on Ancient Greek propaganda based on a true story.

[​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Generator

I guess both the land and the sea battle in the Greek Persian war turned out largely the same.

The Greeks used a narrow bottleneck in order to force a much larger force to attack them a few men or ships at a time. The Greeks were better trained at land and sea and they were highly motivated. The Persians were not highly motivated and expecting an easy victory.

Sadly, the real Spartans had full armor covering up their perfect abs...

Along those lines, when covering medieval historical fiction, real armor usually provided substantial neck protection, but since films and TV producers paid for top level actors, they usually wear armor with exposed necks so the actors have their full range of facial expressions.

Note that a large portion of Game of Throne on screen deaths were cuts to the necks.

Aginor, Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.