8th Ed. Back with more questions.

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by DanBot, Jan 31, 2012.

1. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Saddly once again I have lent out my rule book. I know the answer to to this first one is in there. But I wont have it for a few days. Anyway, I know you can't have 2 lore masters of the same lore. But a friend told me that if you have a lore master of a single lore, no other mage can have spells from that lore except the signature spell. Ex: If i brought a lore of heavens slann, all of my skinks would be reduced to haveing only the signature spell. But if I bring tetto'eko and he is a lore master of heavens all of my skinks pick spells as normal as long as they don't get the same spells between themselves. Because tetto'eko is a special character the rule doesn't apply. Makes little sence to me. Though I suppose it could be true.

Secondly, I played my friend's chaos daemon army over the weekend and some strange situations came up. So these questions will probably be best directed at the daemon players/former daemon players. Is the Daemon Prince a large target? It isn't in his special rules. But I was wondering if there was another classification under maybe "large target" or "monstrous unit type" that includes him as a large target. Maybe just him being on a 50mm base and standing a scale 40 foot makes him a large target? Again, I don't have my book.
    Third and final question. When his herald miscast he rolled a 9. So "every model that can channal takes a s6 hit" does that include every model in his pink horrors unit? They can channel. But they focus their power through the champion or the herald. So does the champion/herald take the hit? If so, if he puts his herald in the unit does he only get one die to channel with seeing as how the unit is focusing through him and he is the sourse. The only actual caster in the army.

Thanks for answering all my questions so far. Hope these ones get the same quick clear answers.

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

actualy you can have 2 or more lore masters of the same lore, the rule you are thinking of only applys to spells you roll for (multiple skink priest or slann without lore master).

3. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I know this rule. But my friend ventured to say there was another rule preventing you from taking spells that a lore master has(exception of special character). Untrue? If i bring a slann with the lore of heavens i can pick spells as normal with my skinks?
    Though it's good to know you can take two lore masters of the same lore.

4. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

The way it works it that the slann is the loremaster. He does not choose his spells, he just knows them. The skink priests roll for there spells. You can have duplicate spells in this situation (because the slann knows them all already).

Another note: If you ever take Tehehuin and a slann, do not take loremaster. That way, you automatically ensure that(well, almost) Tehehuin gets the transformation of Kadon spell.

5. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

If a model gets a spell "automatically" then that spell doesn't count to the only one of each type of spell allowed per side.

As models with loremaster automatically gets all spells for that lore none of a loremaster's spells count toward the limit.

Deamons are an example of an army that can have multiple loremasters.

6. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I understand now. I thought that ruling was wrong. Any advice on the choas problems?

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Depends.... Whats is your problem?
    (specificaly)

8. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I went back and underlined my 3 questions in the first post. The first one has been answered.

9. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

I don't have the Chaos Daemons book, but from recent battles I understand that the Daemon Prince is not a large target. There is the True Line of Sight rule, so that will help with targeting one. Unit Strength 3, I believe.

Not sure about the channeling issue.

10. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Is the Daemon Prince a large target?

Don't know, I don't play daemons.

When his herald miscast he rolled a 9. So "every model that can channal takes a s6 hit" does that include every model in his pink horrors unit?

Don't know, I don't play daemons.

11. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Here is a similar thread in the Vampire Counts forum. http://www.vampirecounts.net/Thread-Miscasting-and-Horrors

Seems that you treat the unit as a single wizard, taking a single S6 hit.

12. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

The daemon FAQ comes extremely close to dealing with a nearly identical situation as follows:

Q: If a unit of Pink Horrors of Tzeentch are the target of a
    magic item or spell, such as Sivejir’s Hex Scroll or Wurrzag’s
    Revenge, how is this resolved? (p37)
    A: The player controlling the Pink Horrors must nominate one
    model to be the target of the magic item or spell.

This approach is consistent with the codex which indicates that a single horror is nominated to act as the wizard when the unit is casting. Best case, a single horror dies.

13. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Thanks guys. Very helpful. That just about answers all of them now. But of course leaves me with a few more.
    What does unit strenght 3 mean? I thought that was an old rule. It doesn't do anything anymore does it?

14. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Eh, yah. I guess that's a habit I have left over from back in the day. I have not seen a mention of Unit Strength in the 8ed rule book. Now we use Unit Type.