1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Basic Rules Help

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Kilvakar, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

I just had a couple of questions I wanted to clarify:

1: When shooting, do you shoot for all the models in a unit that are within range? Or do you get to shoot for the entire unit even if only let's say one model is within range? Just curious because everyone seems to calculate damage from shooting as of all your models get to shoot, while melee we all know is only based on the number of models within range, hence the spears vs. clubs debate, lol!

2: Cover. Does cover apply in melee? I've heard some people say it does, and some people say it doesn't.

3: If you're using the mortal realms rules, is it correct that your wizards get access to all that realm's spells and not just one?

Canas and Imrahil like this.
  2. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

1) You need to measure each model individually. If only 10 Skinks out of 40 is within range, only 10 can shoot.
    2) Cover also applies to melee, however if said unit charged onto a terrain, the charging unit doesn't benefit from cover, but the target that is being charged will benefit from cover.
    3) Not sure about mortal realm rules, we never play with those.

Kilvakar and Imrahil like this.
  3. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Thanks for the info! I'd love to figure out more about the mortal realms rules. It seems like it would be pretty fun to play with all those extra spells and effects on the board.

Another question I came up with is in regards to wholly within rules.

Does the entire base of every model in a unit need to be within a radius to count? Or does it count as long as every base is at least partially within that radius?

I ask because I've seen people say for example that you could put the Starpriest's buff on a block of 40 skinks as long as all their bases were able to be touched by the 12in radius. But others have said that every base needs to be fully inside that radius, making it a lot harder to apply buffs to horde units.

Imrahil likes this.
  4. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Another question I remembered would be about allocating melee attacks. Let's say you have a Stegadon throwing all it's attacks into a single enemy unit, and you manage to kill that unit with one unused weapon, like the stomps. If there's another enemy unit also in close combat with you, can you apply the remaining attacks to that unit? Or do you have to declare that you're splitting the attacks beforehand?

Imrahil likes this.
  5. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

You have access to all the realm's spells, but you are still limited in the number you actually can cast.

All the bases of all the models must be within range

You must declare the targets of your attack beforehand. Sometime it's not an easy decision

Imrahil and Kilvakar like this.
  6. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Thanks! Just what I was looking for. We're thinking of using the mortal realms rules in upcoming TTS games I'm playing with my brother and friends, and with the amount of spells that we can sling out it makes taking Kroak+Slann sound very appealing :)

Imrahil likes this.
  7. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yeah, the Malign Portent book states that, when you play in a certain realm, your wizards know all the spells of the realm.
    But a starpriest can still cast 1 spell/round.
    Of course, slann+kroak is a more potent combo.

8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

nope, the entire base needs to be in the radius It's in the F.A.Q for the GHB I think.

Imrahil likes this.