1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basing advice

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by GuyCulmer, Feb 4, 2016.

1. GuyCulmer
    Jungle Swarm

GuyCulmer New Member

Greetings fellow Lustrians. First time poster, long time lurker.

So after about a 4 year absence from the hobby i decided to paint up a small Lizzy force just for fun. Been slowly re-teaching myself how to paint and all is been going well but i'm stuck on how to base these chaps.

I will get a photo up if i can but the colour scheme of the skinks (it's all skinks) is along the Death World Forest > Elysian Green > Ogryn Camo range with tortoiseshell style colouring on the scales, all very muted colours.

I'm having a hard time picking what colours to do the bases. Initially i was going for a kind of Grey with various tufts following this tutorial here but i'm not sure it really matches that well.

Any tips on your preferred colour ranges / technekes etc?

Cheers

2. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

StealthKnightSteg Well-Known Member

you could look at the Advent video's by WarhammerTV also, they have some basing tutorial things, maybe you can get some techniques and inspiration from those?

3. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

I personally like to use a brown base colour with static grass patches and dark tufts (you can see it on my stegadon in my blog). I would say it's important to keep a contrast with the model and not be so crazy that it distracts from it. Also depending on the game system you are using it might be worth looking to see the average game board you will be playing on. I super satisfying to have your bases match the table!

Another tip, GM released a paint chart a short while ago that had some nice quick sets for bases. Ask at the counter if they have any charts left, they're free!

4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Grey is used as a contrast to the models which works really well but is not for everyone, I tend to do troops just with static grass now applied with a flock box as I feel it looks more natural then grey earth.

Just be constant and they will look great.

5. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Static grass does work wonderfully! A quick tip if you use it, don't just sprinkle it on! If you do the grass effect won't be anywhere near as good as it could be. Instead make sure to press down hard with your thumb. This will cause the static nature of the grass to fluff it's self out as it tries to get as far away from other bits of grass as it can :)

Also don't forget to try little rocks or tufts to help break up the silhouette of the base.

6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Or use a flock box, which is amazing ;)

http://warpainter.myshopify.com/products/flockbox-fusion-electrostatic-flock-applicator

Phoedinn likes this.
  7. Phoedinn
    Razordon

8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

The thumb trick works a treat as well, I bought the flock box not for flocking bases but for flocking my goblins, my furry Gobbo's are well on the way to being complete, have a look in my blog to see what I'm on about.

http://www.lustria-online.com/attachments/image-jpeg.18612/

9. GuyCulmer
    Jungle Swarm

GuyCulmer New Member

Thanks for the tips guys :)

Phoedinn likes this.