1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

basing materials

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by chefofwar, Nov 29, 2020.

1. chefofwar
    Chameleon Skink

chefofwar Well-Known Member

Anyone have fun, realistic jungle basing materials?

I am looking for something between low level flock and tufts of grass, and large trees.

I do not love the look of the aquarium plants as they come off as fake looking, unless folks have cool ideas for sprucing them up.

Looking for something that could be closer to real dense jungle looking, medium height plants etc[​IMG] [​IMG]

Explodingzeb and Imrahil like this.
  2. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Explodingzeb Well-Known Member

I know what you mean about aquarium plants. I've found that if you paint them up in more natural colours they look good though, they also match better with painted minis that way.

Imrahil likes this.
  3. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Size-wise the aquarium plants are pretty good for basing. I use a variety of them and actually don't mind the fakeness. Mostly because there are even some real plants that do look plastic ;)

You could paint them, like @Explodingzeb mentions. Also I have heard of spraying them with matt varnish to take the shine away. I have not yet experimented with this, but it might work.

A part of my flora for basing comes from the home decorating aisle in non-food-discount stores.

Grrr, Imrahil

4. chefofwar
    Chameleon Skink

chefofwar Well-Known Member

I found some guides using craft store fake plants. they come on mats, clip them off and do some dry brushing for dense, mid level height

Imrahil likes this.
  5. Benji
    Skink

Benji Member

Hi, I´m currently painting my carnosaur:
    20201203_003952.jpg

if that tickles the right spot, I could give you a shopping list of materials I used.

chefofwar, The Red Devil and Imrahil like this.