8th Ed. Becalming question

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by cyanhawk, Aug 19, 2011.

1. cyanhawk
    Chameleon Skink

cyanhawk New Member

Would becalming cogitation cause the opponent to discard 6's when they are dispelling a remains in play spell in their magic phase?

Reading the rule Im leaning towards yes but I dont think its been FAQ'd.

Edited to hide my shame . . .

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Well beacalming deoen't cause a reroll the 6's just don't count at all.

like if they rolled a 5,3,6 their total roll would be 8.

3. cyanhawk
    Chameleon Skink

cyanhawk New Member

Yeah I meant discard 6's not reroll . . .

4. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

Interesting point.

The wording says:

...nominate any enemy Wizard within 24" of the Mage-Priest. Any power dice that roll 6 made by that Wizard are discarded, and do not count towards an irresistible force result.
    You generate Power Dice in your own magic phase and that is what you are using to dispel remains in play spells; but you generate dispel dice in the opponents magic phase.

I would be inclined to say "yes" if it is his magic phase "no" if it is yours. If that makes sense?

I think it would be met with some controversy from most of your opponents though.

5. Wolf
    Kroxigor

Wolf Member

I've had it come up several times and every time my opponent wanted to call the judge.. and he has agreed with me every single time. Your opponent uses power dice to dispel your remains in play spells and The Becalming Cogitation clearly states 'Any power dice that roll a 6...' Doesn't matter what he's using them for, if it's a 6, he discards it :)

6. cyanhawk
    Chameleon Skink

cyanhawk New Member

I got home and got look in my BRB. Under remains in play it says
    I knew becalming was nasty but that just added a whole nother level of nastiness. Now all I can picture in my head is two slann with becalming just starting at each other and neither casting any spells.

7. Tiktaalik Rosaea
    Jungle Swarm

Tiktaalik Rosaea New Member

well, to get around the Becalming, they could just elect to dispel with a different caster right?

8. cyanhawk
    Chameleon Skink

cyanhawk New Member

Yeah they could just elect a different caster, but to an extent that is what you would want. As long as becalming is on their lvl 4, they probably wont be getting any better than a +2 to the dispel role. Its all about making him doubt his dice rolls right?

9. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

When you transfer a miscast with cupped hands if the result is power dice loss it is your power dice that go not his dispel dice, so it works the same when he is dispelling RIP spells.