1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Beware: Ogres!

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Gor-rok, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

Just played a friendly game using a mate of mine's Ogre army against his Empire army, with makeshift 8th edition rules (whatever we could remember from reading the store book). We agreed no magic, but anything else was a go.

He took a mix of everything, with all kinds of soldier detachments, a multi-barrel cannon, a mortar, religious fanatics (nasty!) and a large unit of knights.

I took basically two units for my entire army: A regular ogre hoard 3 ranks deep with full command, double weapons, BSB guy, and Tyrant general with the template hit mace, and then a 3 deep hoard of Iron Gut men with full command. With the few remaining points I got two cannon men.

The random charge distance in 8th ed. is nuts- I was able to get charges off on turn two, and with my units as wide as they were, they both hit multiple enemies. Absolute mayhem ensued. All three ranks fighting, impact hits, stomp attack...

I don't see anything short of initiative test spells that can remotely put a dent in something like an ogre monstrous horde before it blows through our saurus and temple guard alike. Not to mention the Tyrant's stone thrower attack magic club, with no more partial hits- it basically killed a unit of two-handed stubborn swordsmen in one go.

He did manage to kill the Iron Gut unit- hit them in the rear with a long charge from the crazed zealots as they were moving between combats, and ran them down when they whiffed their break test. Other than that, it was no contest at any point.

My opponent was grinning big as I smashed his guys to bits; before I could ask why, he said "What you're doing to my Empire guys right now, I'll soon be doing to your Lizardmen, heh heh heh."

I am deeply concerned.

2. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Don't worry *pats head* luckily for us our Saurus are a little more resistant than puny soft-skinned folk.. I think the real thing would be keeping him from getting the charge as monstrous infantry have all that crazy crap now that they get.. If anything you have to use your Skinks pretty wisely and make him chase you into unwanted positions.. Basically, play like a Wood Elf until you get what you are looking for ;) And STAGGER your front line.. No one should ever be able to hit multiple units on a charge against you so make sure you even just keep them a little apart and that your units that are in front are more resilient so that if you do catch the amazing 'Thunderstomp' you can hold and not give him a chance to run you down into another charge on a different unit.. I'm glad though that Ogres got a boost in this edition, they really were kinda on the sloppy side in 7th because they were such smaller armies..

Oh, and against big guys like ogres, Skinks are always a plus ;) Just thought I would bring that up again :) Just remember... Empire is nothing compared to the Empire of the Lizardmen!! (*sniff sniff* do I smell a pun??)

3. Chahlie
    Cold One

Chahlie New Member

Ogres can be easily beaten (As an ogre player I can testify to this) Heres what you do: Use ranged weapons, use poison, and use magic. Lizardmen have all of these things in spades. Just keep away from the fatties and let your skinks and their poisonous javelins do the work.

4. the Albino Slann
    Skink

the Albino Slann New Member

also to add with what everyone said, if you really want to take a unit of sarus give them at least a scar-vet with pirhana blade and carnousaur pendent with the five attcks that can be doubled you'll cut through a few ogres. i have a local ogre player and i would usually do this to him more as a way to keep his tyrant off my weaker units and so that i may use my preist with minor worry