1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Blow Pipes Vs Javelins

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by FrozenLizards, Sep 20, 2008.

1. FrozenLizards
    Saurus

FrozenLizards New Member

I am wondering the merits of the Javelins Vs Blow Pipes. I just don't get it, why wouldn't I always use blow pipes the extra range and x2 seem to far out way 6+ save for the shield. If your skinks are hit by any units with a 4+ strength will remove that save. What is the point of the short range, single attack javelins?

2. Lounge_Lizard
    Cold One

Lounge_Lizard New Member

I think the math was done, and javs have a higher chance of hitting. Personally, I used both setups, and I clearly favour peashooters. That 6+ save in skinks is nearly worthless, and as I use skinks in small units of 10, the volume of fire of blowpipes is just too good to pass up. Or maybe I just don't know how to use javs right :D ...

Cheers!

3. Ninjaskink
    Cold One

Ninjaskink New Member

Also, Javelins are thrown weapons rather than fired, so they don't take the penalty to hit while moving. This in turn makes the range closer to 14 inches if used properly, and that beats out the 12 of the blowpipe. Plus, you Do have that shield to try and protect from the R&F and the weaker missile fire.

4. freakndell
    Saurus

freakndell New Member

Well They both have there uses, but......

Javs & shield do not suffer the -1 from moving and do not suffer the -1 "over half range penalty" because of throwing. So there reach is 14 inch (with the 6 inch move) They hit on a 4 and poison on a 6. The skinks recieve a 6+ save vs shooting and a 5+ save CC (handweapon/shield) and even a 4+ when playing with a Sacred Spawning of Quetzl list....Thats not to bad imho.

peashooter has a range of 18 inch (again with the 6 inch move) and will give you more shots (with the multi-shot). But when moved you hit on a 5, Multi-shot makes this 6. This means you will have to be within 6 inch of the enemy, otherwise it will be hit on a 7+ (first a six then a 4) but that no poison for you....
    So thats more shots but only on a 6 you hit (and poison if within half...) This makes it's effective range 12 inch vs 14 of the javs)

Most of the time i use javs & shield on field skinkies, and peashooters on scouts...
    What's best....that depends on your playstyle.......

well that's my $0,02

5. FrozenLizards
    Saurus

FrozenLizards New Member

Ah now I understand. I didn't know that throwing was diffrent than shooting. that does change the dynamic of Javs. Humm, Now I have more to think about. Thanks for the tips.

6. Phantom
    Skink

Phantom New Member

there's still a penalty for moving with thrown weapons, i thought they just ignored the long range penalty, or maybe im mistaken

7. Ninjaskink
    Cold One

Ninjaskink New Member

BRB p. 55: Thrown weapons do not suffer the usual to hit penalties for shooting at long range or for moving and shooting. Note, this does not entitle you to throw weapons if he charges or marches.

8. didleoman
    Chameleon Skink

didleoman New Member

Like freakndell mentioned I use a Host of Quetzl myself and screen with Jav/Shield skinks.
    My scouts usually run around with peashooters but there are times where scouts with Javs were needed. not too often though

9. Dalkarius
    Ripperdactil

Dalkarius New Member

In the games I played, I always field 40 skinks with all of them being scouts and deploy them more as lures for my opponent. Although javs are not bad, I prefer all bps because my opponents pale at those 20 shots per unit and it's quite easy to move within 6' of the target and lay them out. And you can always choose to single shoot in a situation, but like freakndell said, it all depends are your playstyle and strategy.

10. nyyman
    Skink

nyyman New Member

Blowpipes are meaned for this:

1. Scout them into forest near enemy Giant.
    2. Wait for Giant to come close enough.
    3. Then SHOOP DA WOOP multi-shots. With 10 Skinks that 20 shots, hitting on 3+ - 6+ (depending on have you moved and stuff). You need 6 poisoned hits (or regular wounds).
    4. Watch the Giant saying "Bye bye" and die (falling on your Skinks, maybe).

Javelin Skinks are for everything else (well not excatly but I just can't write half an hour about this).
    Personally I use them both, at one tournament 20 with javelins and 10 with blowpipes (would take more with blowpipes but don't have nough Skinks).
    Note that this Giant can be anything with no saves of any kind.

PS. The example above is me killing a Giant on second turn.