8th Ed. 'Broken Concentration'

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Hasnat, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Hasnat
    Chameleon Skink

Hasnat New Member

In the rulebook, it says that if your natural casting roll is equal to or less than a 3 or if you fail to meeting the minimum casting value of a spell the wizard can no longer cast spells for the duration of that magic phase.

This may be an obvious and simple question, but does this mean that if I fail to cast a spell with my Skink Priest (talking about small points games here) then he cannot cast any spells for the duration of that magic phase?

If so, then I have been casting spells when I should not have been... oh dear! :oops:

2. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

yes. If a wizard rolls below 3, then the cast fails and he cannot attempt to cast another spell that phase. Other wizards may cast spells, but he cannot. This does not affect the slann's ability to channel a magic missile through the priest, however.

The same works for dispels. If the wizard rolls below 3 on his dispel roll, he fails and is locked out of further dispel attempts. Other wizards and the army itself can still attempt dispels as normal.

3. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

That is correct. Once you fail to meet the casting cost of a spell or roll a natural 1 or 2, that mage is done for the rest of that phase.

Edit: beaten my newscales.

4. gewaltatron
    Saurus

gewaltatron New Member

is he still able to dispell 'stay in game' spells in his round after failing to cast a spell?

5. Rhodium
    Kroxigor

Rhodium New Member

Can't see a direct quote in the brb right now

But if you fail to dispell a remains in play spell in your phase, you cannot then cast a further spell, so you would presume that it extrapolates to the inverse action,

I.e if you failed to cast you cannot try to dispell a remains in play

Although you can always attempt to dispell a spell with the army rather than a wizard so you could attempt it after a broken concentration, you just wouldn't get the addition of the wizard levels

6. Hasnat
    Chameleon Skink

Hasnat New Member

I see. Thank you.