1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age Can you place a unit around another unit?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Nielspeterdejong, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Nielspeterdejong Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

So i've been new to Warhammer, and picked it up because I wanted to find a hobby me and my little brother could do together. We plan on coloring our models, and then play against other players.

I just bought a miniature online which I believe was a skin priest, but then I found out that it was actually Tehenhauin, prophet of Sotek but without the standard. So I was wondering if it was possible to make a unit around Tehenhauin? I have 10 spear/javelin Skinks and will soon get 3 Kroxigors. Is it possible to make a combined unit, with 4 skinks in the front, then 3 Korxigors along with Tehenhauin, and behind them the rest of the spear Skinks?

2. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

I think the ratio is 1 kroxigor to 8 skink (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) So you'd need more skinks and I'm not sure about Tehenhauin joinin the unit as I have never played the game but I think characters can join units so it might be possible

3. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Thank you for your reply. How come you need 8 skinks for 1 kroxigor? I do have 43 Skink archers as well, but they will be in a seperate unit.

4. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

Urhm - that I'm not 100% sure of why but the rulebook I have open at the moment says A skink unit size is 10+ - and they have the upgrade ability for (some points - I cant say how much apparently as putting points of games workshop models on here infringes some of there IP rights or something) - but then you can "add up to one Kroxigor for every 8 Skinks." - It says you can Upgrade one skink to Brave one skink to Musician and one to Standard barer. Looking at Tehenhauins entry I don't think he can be applied to a skink Unit - because he can either ride a Stegadon or is surrounded by a swarm of serpents

5. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

You always chose your highest leadership model as your general so you could run him as your army leader and make him into something special :)

tom ndege likes this.
  6. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

As general? That sounds interesting :) what did you mean with something special? And isn't your slann your general?

Also, I can still put two units close right? So say my Thehenauis, with in front of him my Kroxigar unit? And behind him my 10 Skin spearmen/javelin throwers against each other?

7. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

So your general is always your model with the highest leadership value so if you had a slann it would have to be the general but you can play other special characters to be your general just so long as you don't have a Slann present :) I'm not sure how close they can be probably as close as you like but as I haven't played yet I think we need to get someone else to help us :p and by something Special I meant you can convert him or paint him up nice so he stands out as your main character

8. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Well I also have Kroq-gar on carnotaur now (metal), and I believe his leadership is higher? :) (not sure where to view that).

I plan on painting him nicely and making kroq-gar my general. Then have my Slann with Chakax and 10 Saurus guards (all old metal models). Then thehenauhis with 3 kroxigar and 10 javelin/spear Skink. Along with 40+ Saurian warriors and 40 bow skinks I should have a fun army to play with and others to play against :) Oh, and 4 Ripperdactyl as a unit for zoning to make it interesting.

I think the house rule is max nr of spells per turn to indicate max nr of summoned units? I can use those for my Stegadon and oldblood on carnosaur and 8 cavalry :) How does that sound?

9. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

You'll need some rule books to view their stats or you can probably find the information online possibly with the right searches - It sounds like you have a nice little army going :D

10. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Also, I had another question, and I was hoping you could help me with that.

I am looking to make a Ripperdactyl unit, but sadly the ones I bought online (already build up) don't have a Bloat toad (used as part of the unit). I asked to be sure, and he sad it didn't contain that (sadly I only checked after I bought it....)

Now, I therefor plan to make one big unit of Ripperdactyl out of 6-7 Ripperdactyl (have a single old model from the old owner), and I want to buy 3 more ripperdactyl so I can use their toad instead. However, I keep seeing boxes saying:

"Lizardmen Terradon Riders / Ripperdactyl Riders"

Does this mean that with the same box you can make both Terradons and Ripperdactyls? And if so, does that mean it also contains a bloat toad?

11. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

I've never got the box set of them so i'm not sure - When the box set has a / it tends to mean you make either or but not both.
    Bloat toad.jpg
    "What exactly is the function of a Bloat Toad"

Honestly I don't even know what they are used for still :p

12. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Each box can make 3 rippers or 3 terradons and it will contain 1 bloat toad.

13. Crowsfoot
    Slann

They place the rippers into a frenzy if a ripper unit attacks a enemy with a toad within 2" the rippers make 3 attacks instead of 1, just the threat of the toad is enough to make some units pull back.

14. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

Nice :D thanks man

15. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Indeed, awesome! :D

I actually managed to get 10 chameleon skinks, and I will make a unit with 7 Ripperdactyls (will use old model that previous owner used to use for that) with the 6 I bought as well. Together with Tehenhuin I will be able to make a Skink patrol (and swoop in and all that fun with that organistation.

I can use skink patrol as part of a larger army right?

If so, then I'll add 3 Kroxigor, and 10 Skink spearmen around little Tehenhuin. Then put down Kroq-gar as my general, and add a Slann mage priest surrounded by 10 guards and my custom Chakax (he has a old model, although modified, with shield and axe. But I think I can just say he has the mace for gameplay wise?).

And then last but not least 40 Saurus warriors and 40 Boltsplitter (that's the bow right?) Skinks

That should make for a fun army if I can use my Slann to summon a Stagadon, old blood on carnosaur, and Skink chief eventually in the game :) It will be strong though, but if I"m put against a equally strong army it will be a fun battle! Although a highly aggressive and brute force one XD (with zoning due ot the frog and Ripperdactyl).

16. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Oh! Another quick question! I"m about to buy a old Skink Priest model from someone, but it is before you had the feather cloak and priestly trappings add ons. Do you think I can play it, and just state (seeing as you could have a priest Skink with the trappings, but it was a entire different model) that he has the priestly trappings? That shouldn't be a problem right?

17. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

Yeah you can pretty much use any model to represent your figures - so long as your opponent is aware and agrees to the proxy - Most people should do this - I can't imagine there being many people out there in the hobby that's wouldn't

18. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Alright, awesome!

So I could, say, use a old metal Chamelon stalker unit as Oxyotl or something? (had a friend who had a single Chameleon metal stalker left)

Though that would probably be unfair to someone who had to buy the real Oxyotl model.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  19. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Paint it to look like Oxyotl and I can't see a problem.

20. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Rokanos Well-Known Member

n810 likes this.