8th Ed. Cannon Ball and Bolt Thrower Question - Oh My!

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by SanDiegoSurrealist, Sep 15, 2011.

1. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

If a Cannon Ball fails to wound it stops in its tracks, just like a Bolt Thrower correct?

So if my Scar vet takes a cannon ball to the face, but he has a ward and it stops him from taking any damage, that’s it right? The cannon ball does not go any further and does not bounce through the rest of the ranks.

Which then makes me think of this if a Slann is Ethereal and is hit by a cannon/bolt thrower it technically "fails to wound", so would it stop or would it bounce/penetrate on through to whatever unfortunate soul might be directly behind him? He is a Ghost after all.

2. DragonMage
    Jungle Swarm

DragonMage New Member

That is a good question. From what i remember, the cannonball\bolt needs to not only wound, but kill the model in front in order to hit the next model. This may "create" a new tactic of keeping an etherial slann in front of units to protect them.

if anyone knows about any rules i am overlooking, please tell.

3. kroxigor01
    Ripperdactil

kroxigor01 Member

This only works if the shot hits a monstrous infantry/beast/cavalry/monster. So a Scar Vet wouldn't stop the dudes behind biting it (unless on a cold one).

4. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

Ok so NO for a cannon ball - no good, the guys behind him will get hit.

But as far as the bolt thrower if it hits an etheral Slann in the front rank of a block of Saurus, would it just pass though him or does it stop because it fails to wound?

5. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

Since the bolt thrower uses ballistic skill to hit, it is unlikely the hit the Slaan since the rules state that any unit with 5+ models targeted result in a hit against the unit and not the character. If there are less than 5 rank and file models, then you could allocated the hit to the Slaan and ignore it - assuming it was not a dwarven bolt thrower with runes on it.

6. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I thought the way that a bolt thrower penetrated ranks, if it hits the TG in front of the slann, you would then have to do a LOS roll for the slann (or not, if it is etheral).

7. Agrem
    Kroxigor

Agrem Active Member

Stonecutter is right, 5+ r'n'f models with character it would only hit the unit. But if it would be possible to hit the slann and there would be more models in second rank you should first determine by randomizing if the bolt hits the slann or the guy next to him. After that the LOS roll would be applied if there is enough models left.

A bit like you would randomize with skrox unit but not quite. :p

BR
    Agrem