1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carnosaurs

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by T_Saurus, Feb 25, 2014.

1. T_Saurus
    Cold One

T_Saurus Member

Hey all, just looking for some feedback on my painting so far.

I have been spending a lot more time painting than I have been in the past and am starting to look for some constructive feedback. I plan on making a paint log soon but for the time being I just want to get something out there.

So these are my two carnosaur I have been working on.

klDx8GL.jpg

What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. Axolotyl
    Temple Guard

Axolotyl New Member

Hi T-saurus!

Ok if feedback is what your after, I can offer a mixed bag of things I like, and how I would approach the same model using the scheme you have picked.

The grey you have seems to lack definition, it's there and its integral to the look of your army, it just needs a little more TLC to make it jump. I must admit im a sucker for GW paint, mostly because i know what I'm doing with it!

I would start with a dark tone like Mechanicus Standard Grey, then give it a good wash down with Agrax Earth shade. When it has set give it you can do one of two things 1) dry brush with Dawnstone which will give a more natural look, or 2) flat brush the Dawnstone on, giving it a strong bold grey.

When this is set, either lightly dry brush with Celesta Grey, or to continue the strong bold theme, edge highlight with Celesta Grey.

The second thing I would look at is the Gold on the new carnosaur. yes its bold, but not defined. A guick fix for that is to wash with Agrax Earthshade or Imperial Primer, let it set and dry brush with Golden Griffon, it will give a softer and more natural tone.

I hope this helps and dosent seem overly picky, my way isn't the only way, and I'm sure many others will offer to help, you will find your own style, but you will only get that by experimenting and trying new ideas :D

3. T_Saurus
    Cold One

T_Saurus Member

This is exactly the kind of response I was hoping for!

I spent a lot of time "playing" with the colours on this and by that I mean I would add a colour and just kept drybrushing (I think! I say this because I have zero art experience am only going off brief tutorials). My painting to date has basically been to put a colour down and then wash. It works for my Skavenslaves because I just have so much to do on them but with a big model I need to really do something impressive!

I came to the idea to use the grey/red/orange/yellow on the carnosaur but I didn't know how to progress with the underbelly section so I am so glad that someone picked up on that!

4. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

I'd actually go for a very bright grey at the very edges, Ulthuan Grey looks awesome on everything i've use it on, it's almost white, but still grey enough to be grey!

i'd definetly settle in for a brighter/bolder feel on the belly of the beast, but i'd probably do it by giving it consecutive layers of drybrushing.

Mechanicus -> Dawnstone -> Ulthuan grey.

that's make it dark in the less visible parts of the belly, ofcourse do give it a wash, i might just be conservative on thinking nuln oil instead of agrax, but agrax might do something very good for the model here, so i think you should go with Axo's suggestion there.

5. Axolotyl
    Temple Guard

Axolotyl New Member

If you look at the Skink skirmishers you will see how the dry brush method looks

image_zpse10eb191.jpg

I have opted to drybrush them for that method, however the freehand scales on my troglodon below have been done by using the second flat brush method

image_zpsc5774765.jpg